Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2020 9:48 am
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1091 posts
108 upvotes
Burlington
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: sorry dude this is Canada. Anything good weatherwise never lasts long here.

but dont worry because there is another round of warmth on the way. In fact, if the CFS model is not mistaken you will be in heaven:

After the first forecast period, observe the takeover by the hot temperature values
:-0
<snip>
Yuck! I was hoping that after the anomalies of this week, we'd have nice autumn weather to look forward to. :mad: :evil:
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2070 posts
362 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
OP maybe a good thing you decided to stay here this winter, did you see this? I hope this just an isolated incident.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/21/gu ... nes-resort

Oh and glad you are here this winter, that means it will be nice and mild, you know that's how it works it will the the exact opposite of what you probably will want to see. Me I am am more than happy for a nice, mild snow free winter :) no more polar vortex!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9711 posts
617 upvotes
JACKIE26 wrote: OP maybe a good thing you decided to stay here this winter, did you see this? I hope this just an isolated incident.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/21/gu ... nes-resort
No its not. Kidnapping in the philippines happens alot. Thats how people earn their money but it doesnt mean its not a good place to go. Millions of people travel to the philippines every year.

Places like boracay is filled with foreigners.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
The Philippines is in a very serious situation. Security is bad in so many ways:
Philippines is 3rd most dangerous country for journalists
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/34 ... nsi-report
GENEVA - One hundred and thirty-four journalists and media support staff were killed while on reporting assignments last year, most of them targeted deliberately, the London-based International News Safety Institute (INSI) said on Tuesday.

Syria topped the list of dangerous countries, followed by Iraq and then the Philippines.
Of the total casualties, 65 died covering armed conflicts—primarily in Syria, where 20 were killed, and Iraq, where the death total was 16

And as for kidknappings, I am shocked it happened near Davao. This is only going to hold in place the travel advisories issued against Mindanao. The Abu Sayaff, New Peoples Army, the MILF and other groups have made Mindanao one of the most dangeours places in the world for rich people to travel.
I for one am the least scared of any person you will ever meet when it comes ot travelling to places. People will say it is not safe and I will still go. BUT of all the places in the world I could be scared of, Jolo (south of Mindanao) one of the islamic cities in the far south Philippines is a place even I WONT GO! You go, you WILL get kidknapped on Jolo guaranteed! the far south Philippines is the only place outside war torn Iraq will noone should ever go. Don't go to small islands in the southern Philippines you have been warned! There is something about small islands separate fro mainland Mindanao that seems to make even mainland middle east appear less dangerous.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
kevindurant1 wrote: No its not. Kidnapping in the philippines happens alot. Thats how people earn their money but it doesnt mean its not a good place to go. Millions of people travel to the philippines every year.

Places like boracay is filled with foreigners.
people do travel to the Philippines but indeed it is restricted areas. people told me that in their days of being there (Cagayan de oro) to visit I was the only foreiner they spotted for 5 days. because the travel advisories are there for a reason, Mindanao is not that safe:

"Although U.S. government officials in the Philippines travel to Mindanao for official business without incident, the Embassy has imposed a strict restriction on all but the most essential travel to the area
"U.S. citizens should also continue to exercise extreme caution if traveling to certain regions and cities of the island of Mindanao. Separatist and terrorist groups continue to conduct bombings, kidnappings and attacks against civilians, political leaders, and Philippine security forces. In particular, the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) remain active in the Cotabato City area, and in the Maguindanao, North Cotabato, and Sultan Kudarat provinces, where the government maintains a state of emergency and a greater police presence. There have been no recent reported terrorist threats or incidents within the Davao City or Surigao city limits. There have been no reports of U.S. citizens in Mindanao targeted specifically for their nationality; however, general threats to U.S. citizens and other foreigners throughout Mindanao remain a concern."

Philippines is safe as long as you avoid Mindanao. Just pick Cebu or Manila, less risk. thats why you almost never see foreiners in Mindanao anyways.

EDIT: tourist numbers are already low in all of Mindanao, even Davao. This incident is only going to cause these already poor tourists numbers to take a hit even more.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
LNahid2000 wrote: WTF do the last 3 posts have to do with weather?
I wanted to feel free to reply to it since it is an important thing, but don't want to start a new thread for that. Get it over and done with where it started.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2226 posts
706 upvotes
While driving to work, I heard on the radio that we might get a cold October with the possibility of SNOW! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4119 posts
921 upvotes
Sask.
Minus two this morning - but it's bright and sunny this last day of summer! Furnace actually went on!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20476 posts
4545 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I have sad news to report.

I would like to express my condolences for Summer 2015 that ended this morning.
R.I.P.

But lets end it with brilliant news!

With the passing of Summer 2015, I will like to welcome Fall 2015! May this Fall bring wonderful weather into the coming new year!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2400 posts
461 upvotes
Winnipeg
This year transition from summer to fall ( I mean coldre days) was pretty sudden.
My whole family is sick ( sneezing and coughing) by not taking precaution and roaming aorund in cold evening winds without proper cloths
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
it is not sudden. there are big ups and downs. You will see the heat come back again then the cold appear sharp again if it is a cold front strong enough.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2070 posts
362 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
OP how are things looking for Thanksgiving weekend, or is it still too far away to project? I am hoping the temp jumps up into summer weather.