Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: My preliminary winter forecast, looking warm again in Ontario!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 10:28 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Rogues2017 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 10:20 am
Are we getting snowfall this weekend? I am expected to travel to Niagara falls this weekend. According to this link it doesnt look good. https://www.narcity.com/amp/ontario-to- ... -this-week.
If it comes to Toronto, it will be even lower probability down there though. So don't expect any, not likely within Toronto either.
Merry krizmuss, Merry krizmuss, have a brite and a prospruss nieuw yaar.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1161 posts
117 upvotes
Logtown
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 4:01 pm
I was looking at Medicine Hat. For more than a year, their climate has been remarkably warm for being that far north in a country like Canada. Above and below freezing for a bit in the winter, pleasant cool just before and after the core of winter and long months of warm to hot the rest of the year. My kind of place.
Bit of a note on that "warm" weather..

It's because of the winds. Here they call them Chinooks.. in California they called them Santa Ana winds.

While that's good, the downside is, when you wake up in the morning and see its warm and nice looking outside, you still prepare for the worst weather. I've never lived in a region where the weather changes so quickly and frequently, and in one day you can see all seasons of weather very easily.

Other than that, I've taken note of the development of MH and Lethbridge (since I came to Alberta).. I've actually been trying to convince the wife to move to LB for a few years now. Houses there are a tad more reasonable than here.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
AndySixx wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 4:32 pm
Bit of a note on that "warm" weather..

It's because of the winds. Here they call them Chinooks.. in California they called them Santa Ana winds.

While that's good, the downside is, when you wake up in the morning and see its warm and nice looking outside, you still prepare for the worst weather. I've never lived in a region where the weather changes so quickly and frequently, and in one day you can see all seasons of weather very easily.

Other than that, I've taken note of the development of MH and Lethbridge (since I came to Alberta).. I've actually been trying to convince the wife to move to LB for a few years now. Houses there are a tad more reasonable than here.
I know all about that. I am OP of the weather thread lol
But it is good though. If you like warm, nothing wrong with having it. It goes well below freezing too, but in the period I referred too, it has not been all too often. I would not mind living in MH. Definitely not too cold for me. I don't want cold too often.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1161 posts
117 upvotes
Logtown
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 5:20 pm
I know all about that. I am OP of the weather thread lol
But it is good though. If you like warm, nothing wrong with having it. It goes well below freezing too, but in the period I referred too, it has not been all too often. I would not mind living in MH. Definitely not too cold for me. I don't want cold too often.
That and, from my experience living in Toronto..

-13C in Toronto feels worse to me due to the humidity than -20C or even -30C in Calgary.

Humidity exacerbates how the body feels in a certain temperature. Summers in humid Toronto for me when out exercising = easily dehydrated. Not a problem one can fix easily by just drinking water when pores are clogged due to humidity.

If you do move there though I wish you the best. I wanna know there weather there.. will be watching to compare. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
AndySixx wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 5:31 pm
That and, from my experience living in Toronto..

-13C in Toronto feels worse to me due to the humidity than -20C or even -30C in Calgary.

Humidity exacerbates how the body feels in a certain temperature. Summers in humid Toronto for me when out exercising = easily dehydrated. Not a problem one can fix easily by just drinking water when pores are clogged due to humidity.

If you do move there though I wish you the best. I wanna know there weather there.. will be watching to compare. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
I am not actually moving to Alberta though lol
I will be moving to Barrie for December, then coming back to Toronto, then going around other parts of Ontario, maybe Quebec too.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1161 posts
117 upvotes
Logtown
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 7:24 pm
I am not actually moving to Alberta though lol
I will be moving to Barrie for December, then coming back to Toronto, then going around other parts of Ontario, maybe Quebec too.
My condolences. :(
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
AndySixx wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 7:31 pm
My condolences. :(
What do you mean? It's gonna be so much fun!!! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
And cold :rolleyes:

About my signature. I wonder why when I was small. every time people saw a dented can they cried botulism lol
Oh that chef boyardee is not totally straight, it is kinda crooked, it has botulism!
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8347 posts
1321 upvotes
looks like its about to get cold quick for most of the country.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
rocking23nf wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 3:13 pm
looks like its about to get cold quick for most of the country.
I am guessing it is the CFS model. It does show a tilt in favor of the warm more here vs the west and not much of the cold getting right down to us. North of us though, yes I am seeing cold widespread.

This tilt towards warmer in the east is exactly what I had expected with la nina tending to push the cold to the west. Even as cold may spill right across the country, it looks like we will get spared the core of it and the worst will keep focusing on the west.

La Nina actually looks like it is getting even weaker now.
Although it appears that things are not as warm this year to start November as they were last year. Teen temps carried over into most of November too. This year looks like not so much.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1410 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
Almost time to put the winter tires on :\
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3960 posts
1311 upvotes
BC
The first forecasted snow day for the year in Vancouver (not including the mountains) is this Friday! Glad I've installed new all-weather tires this month. Winter is coming unusually early this year. Usually, Vancouver doesn't get its first snow (if at all) until late December.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19054 posts
2637 upvotes
Poormond Hill
dealseaker101 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 3:30 am
The first forecasted snow day for the year in Vancouver (not including the mountains) is this Friday! Glad I've installed new all-weather tires this month. Winter is coming unusually early this year. Usually, Vancouver doesn't get its first snow (if at all) until late December.
You all are so lucky. I wish we could trade places.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
sandikosh wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 3:55 am
You all are so lucky. I wish we could trade places.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19054 posts
2637 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 6:28 am
I don't know about that. If I knew how to move Toronto to the west and bring Vancouver to the east, I would do it. Maybe in the far far future it would be easy.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
sandikosh wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 6:44 am
If I knew how to move Toronto to the west and bring Vancouver to the east, I would do it.
Do it do it do it!
But seriously, it will be a lot easier if you just move yourself though. Shipping charges for moving both cities might be a bit high. You are liable if Toronto breaks in half or sinks into the Pacific ocean.