Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: My preliminary winter forecast, looking warm again in Ontario!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 11:49 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6768 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
Supposedly a warmer wetter "alpaca winter" according to Farmer's almanac, possibly similar to last year.
We had more rain last winter than snow, especially into 2017.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Wow. Just like my own prediction. Funny to see one of those books agree. I never trust those books, but with it saying what I am saying, lets see how this one goes.

The la nina we are getting this year is basically a carbon copy of the one we had last year, which was responsible for the weather we got, so don't be surprised if it happens all over again, something that looks quite likely.
Merry krizmuss, Merry krizmuss, have a brite and a prospruss nieuw yaar.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Oh and guess what? The other year that was a torch winter that brought that heat wave in March, that was almost EXACTLY the same kind of la nina we had last year and are about to get now. So when you have 2 of these weak la ninas bring winters like that and another just like it starting again, it looks like a mild winter is just about a done deal!
Jan 11, 2012
81 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Farmer's almanac had predicted a very harsh winter last year for Southern Ontario/GTA area and they were very wrong ....
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
baresi wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:13 pm
Farmer's almanac had predicted a very harsh winter last year for Southern Ontario/GTA area and they were very wrong ....
And everyone else did too. That is when I published my forecast saying winter was going to be the exact opposite. And I was right.
Jan 11, 2012
81 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:50 pm
And everyone else did too. That is when I published my forecast saying winter was going to be the exact opposite. And I was right.
Cool (no pun intended :D )

I take mild winters any time.
Now November is colder than normal straight after warmer than normal October, these fast changes are one of the toughest things about Canada's weather and even about living in Canada in general.
Mar 8, 2006
720 posts
83 upvotes
Omg storm is coming, pack your bags!

How bad is this one?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2514 posts
576 upvotes
Mississauga
It won’t be all that bad around the GTHA. But it’s going to be the first real cold snap, with freezing surfaces and wind chill. I’m waiting for the gong show that traffic will be for the afternoon commute.
Jun 15, 2011
38495 posts
5543 upvotes
King City
Lot of sources including TWN are accounting for up to 30 cm and some 5cm. I was looking at the Weather Underground app and its only rain 2mr lol.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
24 posts
2 upvotes
Wimborne
I had to scrape my windows for the first time this morning!!
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3005 posts
414 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
daivey wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:38 pm
2 feet of snow coming!!!!!!?
Where do you see this?
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Jun 15, 2011
38495 posts
5543 upvotes
King City
Just rain, and earlier on light flurries. Driveway is kinda slippery. That's it. No crazy snow accumulation unlike other northern parts of Ontario.
Jun 15, 2011
38495 posts
5543 upvotes
King City
I guess TWN was right. Well not 30cm but min 1cm and maybe not more than 5cm? Subie weather though Ok Hand SignPerson Raising Both Hands In CelebrationFisted Hand SignSmiling Face With Heart-shaped EyesSmiling Face With Sunglasses