Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Rest of September now looking BLAZING HOT in the TDOT!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2017 11:14 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11229 posts
132 upvotes
scarobough
I learned yesterday that even when it is covered 75 percent, it is barely even noticeable. The person doing surveying saw me sitting on the grass with a camera, and obviously knowing why I was there, asked me "when does it start?" I just said it is happening right now! That is how unnoticable it was.

This was taken at the peak of it. I could notice how it did not feel so hot and the sun was at a 6 pm type dimness so you could notice something was different. But still not much.

Hardly looks like an eclipse doesn't it?!?!
Ok so kitchen is full of spideyz.
Spiders are like, ew.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1045 posts
93 upvotes
Burlington
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 8:55 am
I learned yesterday that even when it is covered 75 percent, it is barely even noticeable. The person doing surveying saw me sitting on the grass with a camera, and obviously knowing why I was there, asked me "when does it start?" I just said it is happening right now! That is how unnoticable it was.

This was taken at the peak of it. I could notice how it did not feel so hot and the sun was at a 6 pm type dimness so you could notice something was different. But still not much.

Hardly looks like an eclipse doesn't it?!?!
Strange... by shortly after 2pm, the difference was definitely noticeable! I was indoors and catching the light from outside, thought "Damn! It's now cloudy... I won't see anything!" but when I looked outside, the shadows were still sharp.

I went outside ~ 2:20 and the light had taken on a grey quality... Commonly, when coverage gets near 90%, the light is described as "silvery", so it was nearly there.

I wasn't the only one. My neighbours were outside, having watched stuff from the States online and then noticing the odd quality/level of the light outdoors. We shared my single pair of 'solar shades' for the next half-hour, having a blast. :D

And yes, these shadows certainly do like like a deep partial eclipse, don't they? ;)

[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11229 posts
132 upvotes
scarobough
CenturyBreak wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 10:05 am
Strange... by shortly after 2pm, the difference was definitely noticeable! I was indoors and catching the light from outside, thought "Damn! It's now cloudy... I won't see anything!" but when I looked outside, the shadows were still sharp.

I went outside ~ 2:20 and the light had taken on a grey quality... Commonly, when coverage gets near 90%, the light is described as "silvery", so it was nearly there.

I wasn't the only one. My neighbours were outside, having watched stuff from the States online and then noticing the odd quality/level of the light outdoors. We shared my single pair of 'solar shades' for the next half-hour, having a blast. :D

And yes, these shadows certainly do like like a deep partial eclipse, don't they? ;)

Yes. That is why I said it looked like "6 pm type dimness"
Yes the light level was noticable. But basically the light level was so similar to usual daytime conditions that one would easily mistake it for merely thin clouds covering the sun.
To put it into perspective, when a little cloud went over the sun, the darkening of the environment was quite stark in comparison to what happened with the eclipse.
Spiders are like, ew.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11229 posts
132 upvotes
scarobough
CenturyBreak wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 10:05 am

Yes the light level was noticeable. But basically the light level was so similar to usual daytime conditions that one would easily mistake it for merely thin clouds covering the sun.
To put it into perspective, when a little cloud went over the sun, the darkening of the environment was quite stark in comparison to what happened with the eclipse.
Spiders are like, ew.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1045 posts
93 upvotes
Burlington
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 10:43 am
Yes the light level was noticable. But basically the light level was so similar to usual daytime conditions that one would easily mistake it for merely thin clouds covering the sun.
This was different, if you were paying attention. Not that you weren't, but I'd been reading about the 'silver light' effect and knew we wouldn't have that, so I was analyzing what we saw... and why.

The light turning grey was different from the "6 pm type dimness" you describe, as that's the sun dropping lower in the daytime sky, so we see it through more atmosphere, which absorbs blue light, making the setting sun (and the light scattered all around) progressively more red as the sun sets. Here, near mid-day, the light wasn't reddened... thus looking both dimmer and grey, compared to what our eyes expect to see later in the day.

Similarly with clouds dimming the sun... as cloud cover thickens from the lightest haze, shadows become less distinct. What we saw yesterday was dimming of sunlight with shadows that were still sharp and distinct. In fact, as the apparent angular size of the sun shrinks, shadows become more distinct and sharper. I can't say that I noticed that effect, the the lack of softening of shadows (compared to light cloud) was clear... pun intended. :D
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11229 posts
132 upvotes
scarobough
CenturyBreak wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 11:33 am
This was different, if you were paying attention. Not that you weren't, but I'd been reading about the 'silver light' effect and knew we wouldn't have that, so I was analyzing what we saw... and why.

The light turning grey was different from the "6 pm type dimness" you describe, as that's the sun dropping lower in the daytime sky, so we see it through more atmosphere, which absorbs blue light, making the setting sun (and the light scattered all around) progressively more red as the sun sets. Here, near mid-day, the light wasn't reddened... thus looking both dimmer and grey, compared to what our eyes expect to see later in the day.

Similarly with clouds dimming the sun... as cloud cover thickens from the lightest haze, shadows become less distinct. What we saw yesterday was dimming of sunlight with shadows that were still sharp and distinct. In fact, as the apparent angular size of the sun shrinks, shadows become more distinct and sharper. I can't say that I noticed that effect, the the lack of softening of shadows (compared to light cloud) was clear... pun intended. :D
I regret having never been made aware also of those crescent moon shadow things. I would have started looking at them under the trees. Problem is I happened to always be on grass so I never noticed. I ended up looking through the fabric in my backpack.

It would have been much better had I gotten to look at these crescents instead! much safer!
Spiders are like, ew.
Feb 7, 2017
996 posts
525 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 7:32 am
I'm surprised people did not like this summer. Aside from the random heavy rains, the sunny weathers were perfect. Never too hot or cold IMO and I hate the heat and humidity.
All depends WHERE you are (remember RFD Members post from right across Canada). Not everyone in Ontario lives in the GTA either, weather across this province alone has been VASTLY different with Eastern Ontario & West Quebec seeing one of the worst summers on record. I've gathered a few numbers for those who like stats:

Stats for 2017 Eastern Ontario (Ottawa nearest large city)

SEASONAL HIGH = 32.5 C on June 11th
SEASONAL LOW = -0.4 on May 9th
SEASONAL RAIN = 495 mm as of August 21st ... WAY WAY WAY above average.

MAY
HIGH 30.8 C on May 17th
LOW = -0.4 C on May 9th
RAIN = 181.3 mm
HEAT = 2 Days @ 30 C or over, but more telling only 10 Days in total that got to 20 C or more

JUNE
HIGH = 32.5 C on June 11th
LOW = 6.4 C on June 7th
RAIN = 136.5 mm
HEAT = 3 Days @ 30 C or over, but 7 Days that did not make it even to 20 C

JULY
HIGH = 29.5 C on July 18th
LOW = 11.2 C on July 30th
RAIN = 128.4 mm
HEAT = NO Days @ 30 C or over

AUGUST (So far)
HIGH = 30.0 C on August 2nd
LOW = 12.0 C on August 7th
RAIN = 48.8 mm
HEAT = 1 Day @ 30 C or over

This is August so far (our best month of the summer).  Stats do not include today, which has seen us with very humid weather (feels like 36 C) and a ton more rain... Right now we are in an Environment Canada Severe Weather / Tornado Watch. Astonished Face ugh !!!

Forecast for the rest of the month is more of the same... More rain & not enough sun, with below average temps (overnight lows coming this weekend in the single digits).

No two ways about it Summer 2017 has sucked here.
Feb 7, 2017
996 posts
525 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 10:43 am
This was my experience as well in Eastern Ontario... A very subtle change, nothing dramatic.

Certainly nothing like the photo that @CenturyBreak posted above.

Got much darker here today in the midst of the huge thunderstorm that passed over this morning.

I remember vividly the various eclipses in my life (solar & lunar).

The various solar eclipses I saw in the 70s were mind blowing... Especially the one that was total. It actually became twilight in the Montreal area in the middle of the day.

Yesterday was by contrast... Hugely disappointing (hype here far out weighed reality).

Looking forward to the next TOTAL Solar Eclipse that is due to happen over Eastern Canada in April 2024 (hope it is a clear weather day for optimum viewing)

As total eclipses are so rare, 2024 will probably be my last opportunity to see one in my lifetime (unless I travel to catch one elsewhere)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11229 posts
132 upvotes
scarobough
PointsHubby wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 3:00 pm
This was my experience as well in Eastern Ontario... A very subtle change, nothing dramatic.

Certainly nothing like the photo that @CenturyBreak posted above.

Got much darker here today in the midst of the huge thunderstorm that passed over this morning.

I remember vividly the various eclipses in my life (solar & lunar).

The various solar eclipses I saw in the 70s were mind blowing... Especially the one that was total. It actually became twilight in the Montreal area in the middle of the day.

Yesterday was by contrast... Hugely disappointing (hype here far out weighed reality).

Looking forward to the next TOTAL Solar Eclipse that is due to happen over Eastern Canada in April 2024 (hope it is a clear weather day for optimum viewing)

As total eclipses are so rare, 2024 will probably be my last opportunity to see one in my lifetime (unless I travel to catch one elsewhere)
Yeah I had no idea that 72% coverage would leave outside looking so 'normal' for daytime hours.
As for 2024, there will be tons of potential viewing locations right in Canada alone.

What CenturyBreak posted did happen in Ontario, if you looked for it. It was just too easy to miss because you need the right conditions with a flat surface.
Spiders are like, ew.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25087 posts
5552 upvotes
GTHA

"If you've been looking for the superlative solar eclipse shot from Toronto, you can stop now. Local cinematographer Jon Simo captured an amazing image of the moon-covered sun passing by the CN Tower when the eclipse was approaching its peak in our area."

from http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/08/sola ... r-toronto/
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25087 posts
5552 upvotes
GTHA
GTA: Cool days for the rest of the week
Cooler temperatures are expected for the rest of the week, with temperatures on Thursday hitting a high of only 20 degrees. Adam Stiles with your seven day forecast.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7069 posts
422 upvotes
Chilly this morning, had to put on a little sweater.

Although weather looks gorgeous for my brother's wedding this weekend. Lucky him, we got rained all day for ours lol
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11229 posts
132 upvotes
scarobough
My model analysis for Sept as for now projects quite the cold picture for that month.
Starting exactly a week from now, right on the long weekend and before school even starts, the cold will just come raging in!
If things stay mostly the same as I see now in my models, we are looking at a steady stream of highs just in the mid to upper teens, effectively cutting off summer for all of next week!
Spiders are like, ew.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18848 posts
2431 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 7:30 am
My model analysis for Sept as for now projects quite the cold picture for that month.
Starting exactly a week from now, right on the long weekend and before school even starts, the cold will just come raging in!
If things stay mostly the same as I see now in my models, we are looking at a steady stream of highs just in the mid to upper teens, effectively cutting off summer for all of next week!
This is awesome news. It seems this year winter will be earlier. Temps are now in the mid 20s. It's getting darker earlier and later in the morning. And the best if all? You wouldn't have to deal with spiders in winter!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.