Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Winter GONE EARLY in Toronto this year!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2019 4:12 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20110 posts
4071 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Finally, back to normal winter conditions.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1086 posts
107 upvotes
Burlington
sandikosh wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 10:33 am
Finally, back to normal winter conditions.
Not quite normal... yet.

Normal would be a nice 15 or so cm of snow on the ground... and not melting in a few days! We've got perhaps 5 millimetres of white stuff on the ground... a long way to go yet!!! :D
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20110 posts
4071 upvotes
Poormond Hill
CenturyBreak wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 10:40 am
Not quite normal... yet.

Normal would be a nice 15 or so cm of snow on the ground... and not melting in a few days! We've got perhaps 5 millimetres of white stuff on the ground... a long way to go yet!!! :D
Yes, you are right. We haven't had winter weather in such a long time that I forgot what it feels like.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1086 posts
107 upvotes
Burlington
sandikosh wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 10:43 am
Yes, you are right. We haven't had winter weather in such a long time that I forgot what it feels like.
Well... fingers crossed! We should have a few more days with a dusting or a skiff of snow over the next week... and high temps near normal (i.e. just below zero) so it might actually hang around for a bit! :D

Sadly we won't get anything near a normal southern Ontario winter: at least a bit of snow on the ground (and staying there!) from mid-December to the end of March.

Now that would be nice! Smiling Face With Open Mouth At least it would be for ~90% of us living in the GTA! ;)
Jun 15, 2011
39092 posts
5725 upvotes
King City
I saw somewhere online that around Feb 12th or so, it'll be more than 15cm of snow.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
1086 posts
107 upvotes
Burlington
Looking at the updated 14 day forecast, it's only the 5 cm on Tuesday, a hint of a skiff Wed & Thu and then nothing 'til Feb. 11, with another solitary cm of the white stuff.

So no, the best we can hope for is Tuesday's dusting to hang around with seasonal temps.

As for today, winter's beauty is so fragile: the sun comes out and POOF... it all melts. :( Face With Tears Of Joy

Ah well... sunny and cool I can live with. Keep in mind that it's zero out there rather than -20... so it's by no means "cold" today.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3882 posts
1413 upvotes
Mississauga
I'll take sunny and cold over the Vancouver winter dreariness we've been having around here the past couple of weeks.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
353 upvotes
Good to have our normal winter back. Hated the above 0 but rainy days last couple of weeks.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
185 upvotes
mrweather wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 1:25 pm
I'll take sunny and cold over the Vancouver winter dreariness we've been having around here the past couple of weeks.
Ye Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Jun 15, 2011
39092 posts
5725 upvotes
King City
LoveRFD wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 1:53 pm
Good to have our normal winter back. Hated the above 0 but rainy days last couple of weeks.
I don't mind the above 0 with rain hehe.
Nov 13, 2010
5332 posts
611 upvotes
Scarborough
when is the mild returning to scarborough, op?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 9:46 am
Had to bump the weather thread - sorry. Something to ease from the political news lately.

Cold day today - feels like - 11 Deg C. OP seems like we are getting 5cm of snow on Tuesday? Thoughts?
I think less than 5 cm. Looks to me more like 2 cm. If the GFS stays the same as it is now I will say 2 cm.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
CenturyBreak wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 12:11 pm

As for today, winter's beauty is so fragile: the sun comes out and POOF... it all melts. :( Face With Tears Of Joy

Ah well... sunny and cool I can live with. Keep in mind that it's zero out there rather than -20... so it's by no means "cold" today.
That is the thing. As long as we keep getting amounts less than 5 cm, the sun is able to penetrate to the ground, heat the snow from beneath, and melt it, regardless of the temperature. And it looks this way as long as I can see for now.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
apnayloags wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 3:33 pm
when is the mild returning to scarborough, op?
While we are below freezing west of Vic Park, it will be balmy teen temps on your side, in Scarborough next week. Hit the beach!

Ok jokes aside lol, I see slightly below normal over the first half of Feb, although cold periods will be limited. I am seeing hints of the next warmup for the second half of February. I must wait and see more data on that warmup though.

Notes about this winter. This is one of very few winters where we never saw a single day stay in the minus double digits in all of January. Even among the warmer winters, we get at least one day like that. Well not this year. Winter altogether has been totally devoid of minus double digit highs, quite unusual. And it is usual to get below normal spells. Considering that, the upcoming one sure is rather weak. We appear likely on track to achieve one of the very few winters ever with not a single minus double digit high.
blahhh
Jun 15, 2011
39092 posts
5725 upvotes
King City
What time does the snow start tmr?