Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Winter GONE EARLY in Toronto this year!

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 9:38 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8273 posts
5724 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 10:50 pm
I started a thread a long time ago regarding this. The grammar part.

The weather person from that City news should know that proper English is " windchills between -30 AND -40" or just "windchill of -30 to -40". And I would pick the former either way. It is the word between that turns the grammar wrong. I had someone with knowledge in this confirm in the thread that it is wrong. Yet so many people in Canada don't even realize.

People think that because the word to is used in some contexts like the latter, that it is correct in others like this. But they are wrong.
Interesting.

I rarely hear the word WINDCHILLS (plural)

Mostly just windchill in the singular, typically followed by “of”
As one usually looks at weather on a day to day basis

Or if talking a varying rate of windchill / windchills (so plural rates) then other words are used as the modifier to convey that

So...

Tonight’s overnight low -16 C with a windchill of -33 C
Or
Tonight’s overnight low -16 C with a windchill varying between -20 and -33 C
Or
Tonight’s overnight low -16 C with a windchill in the range of -20 and -33 C

I see it the same way as any other weather related item
Temperature, Wind, etc

Tonight’s overnight temperature -16 C
Tonight’s overnight temperature varying between -16 and -33C

However when looking a string of dates then ya it could go plural

Next week expect daytime temperatures between 0 and 5 C
Next week expect daytime highs between 0 and 5 C

Next week expect overnight lows to be between -20 and -30 C
Next week expect overnight windchills to be between -20 and -30 C

Lol, just my 2 cents
Probably worth very little
So keep the change
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8273 posts
5724 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 12:20 pm
I'll be out bottomless sunbathing when it goes into the mid plus single digits next week
Lol... thanks for the “heads up”
:twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8273 posts
5724 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
It is frickin cold here in Eastern Ontario
And that’s just in the house
I really feel it today... floors are cold
Doors & windows feel drafty
All things we don’t have in a normal winter
House & Furnace is working overtime to keep the frigid temps out
Outside it’s cold & windy
-34 C right now with windchill...
And going to reach a low of -40 C overnight
Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8493 upvotes
GTHA
Winter storm's destruction felt in Canada and U.S.
The extent of the massive winter storm's destruction is becoming more apparent in Canada and the U.S. as residents survey the damage for the first time. Hurricane-force winds combined with storm surges and snow have left some communities in disarray.

Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20151 posts
4113 upvotes
Poormond Hill
-21°. Got to enjoy the moment until the warm weather returns tomorrow.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
207 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 10:44 am
-21°. Got to enjoy the moment until the warm weather returns tomorrow.
Its not cold but just a climate change. UN dont want NA is in cold wave but warns there is heat wave in Australia.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3927 upvotes
Toronto
man, flooding + freezing cold..

that's scary.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Ok so now the CFS model is showing a real warmup and it is starting west of us first. Then coast to coast. Have to keep an eye on it.

Even the GFS is showing substantial warmth coming so this is a good sign.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
6601 posts
1937 upvotes
Toronto
What time is the snow storm starting tmr?
Oct 9, 2017
146 posts
Mississauga
Good Lord, it was COLD on Friday. I have NEVER experienced in my life that kind of bone chilling cold here in Mississauga. It was really something else. I mean it was brutal cold, the wind was fast and heavy and it was just brutal, killer cold. I had to fix the wipers on my mom's car and my hands nearly froze just outside for a minute or so exposed. I had to cover my face walking outside with my hands in gloves (I forgot my scarf). Holy ****, it was cold. That's what it must be like living somewhere like Yellowknife or Timmins or Saskatoon when there is a brutal cold snap.

It felt like walking in a really cold cold freezer. My mom's car barely turned on, it was sooo cold. Never in my life had I experienced that kind of cold. I cannot imagine the homeless outside in this. Absolutely heartbreaking. I wanted to cry thinking about the homeless that day. Tragic.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Pochacco wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 11:06 pm
What time is the snow storm starting tmr?
I just see flurries swinging through overnight tonight. But not much to take note of really.

There is a possibility that the worst of this year's cold may already be behind us when in fact it should normally be all still ahead of us. This is because it looks like a warm spell will likely occupy what is normally the coldest part of winter.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8025 posts
1176 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 1:40 pm
I just see flurries swinging through overnight tonight. But not much to take note of really.

There is a possibility that the worst of this year's cold may already be behind us when in fact it should normally be all still ahead of us. This is because it looks like a warm spell will likely occupy what is normally the coldest part of winter.
If they shut down a few sweatshops in China for Chinese New Year(wishful thinking off course), maybe the pacific will cool down a bit and the Jet stream will behave normally, ie not venture so far into the arctic to destabilize the Polar Vortex.
I do believe however that recent experiences have a divine component and a revelation of all things to come in the World. Not just weatherwise and not doomsday either.
Look how the egotistical man who always seems in control was at the mercy of Mother Nature the last couple weeks and was limited in what he could do.Hmmm.