Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Winter GONE EARLY in Toronto this year!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2019 4:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
JACKIE26 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 11:49 pm
OP is this garbage forecast accurate for my area, and if so when will this hell begin? I feel like I cannot catch a break with this crap winter

Issued at 21:20 Saturday 16 February 2019
Significant snowfall possible Sunday and Sunday night.

Areas of heavy flurries off Lake Ontario are expected to develop Sunday morning and persist into the afternoon due to increasing northeast winds. This activity should mainly affect the Hamilton area, but may affect the Burlington and Oakville areas as well.

More widespread snow associated with an approaching low pressure system is then expected to move into the region early Sunday evening and persist into early Monday morning. The heaviest snowfall during this timeframe will likely be from Hamilton towards Niagara Falls.

Snowfall amounts are generally expected to be in the 5 to 10 cm range although some areas, particularly on the escarpment, may approach 15 cm.
Lake effect snow is difficult to predict and doesn't even snow up on forecast models. At least the system snow won't be too much. Only about 5 cm. Lake effect is hit or miss.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
3994 posts
219 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
How many more days, weeks or months until nice weather OP?
because ur mom said so
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2049 posts
323 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 8:14 pm
Lake effect snow is difficult to predict and doesn't even snow up on forecast models. At least the system snow won't be too much. Only about 5 cm. Lake effect is hit or miss.
Its coming down pretty hard, from what I can see on the MTO cameras highway conditions are not good, can't even see lanes everything is solid white. Its really cold and windy too. Looks like tomorrow will be a stay at home inside day. Anyone planning to head this direction or Niagara tomorrow may want to rethink their plans

This weather is just defeating me
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2049 posts
323 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
More?? This is beyond ridiculous. This winter can just #&@*%*

ALERTS IN EFFECT
Special Weather Statement
Issued at 15:16 Monday 18 February 2019
Potential for freezing rain on Wednesday.

A low pressure system from Texas will track towards the Great Lakes on Wednesday. Precipitation associated with this system will begin as snow Wednesday morning for Southwestern Ontario, but will quickly change over to freezing rain and then to rain late in the day.

Untreated surfaces, such as roads, walkways and parking lots, could become icy, slippery and dangerous.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
3994 posts
219 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
JACKIE26 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 6:00 pm
More?? This is beyond ridiculous. This winter can just #&@*%*

ALERTS IN EFFECT
Special Weather Statement
Issued at 15:16 Monday 18 February 2019
Potential for freezing rain on Wednesday.

A low pressure system from Texas will track towards the Great Lakes on Wednesday. Precipitation associated with this system will begin as snow Wednesday morning for Southwestern Ontario, but will quickly change over to freezing rain and then to rain late in the day.

Untreated surfaces, such as roads, walkways and parking lots, could become icy, slippery and dangerous.
I like how it says its coming from texas, as if we should blame them Face With Tears Of Joy
because ur mom said so
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
5273 posts
2859 upvotes
Toronto
apnayloags wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 5:10 pm
Any updates on spring?
You can ask our "Honourable" Premier.... on Feb.2 he was busy getting the Spring forecast from the groundhog

I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Mar 30, 2013
112 posts
14 upvotes
Burlington
Simaahoy wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 11:00 pm
How many more days, weeks or months until nice weather OP?
Like you, I'm hoping ILoveJaneAndFinch will come back and give us some good news! OP, what's the forecast for the coming weeks?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
edstone wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 2:41 pm
Like you, I'm hoping ILoveJaneAndFinch will come back and give us some good news! OP, what's the forecast for the coming weeks?
It getting increasingly unlikely that my prediction regarding the worst of the winter cold will fail. When we were in that deep freeze and I said the worse was going to be over after that. Now it is starting to look overwhelmingly true. The cold we are seeing for the rest of winter looks substantially reduced. My long range forecast is quite mild. The cold aspect of winter is largely finished already.

Temperatures are the easy part. Not as sure about precip trends. But I am seeing signs that winter storm activity is already terminating too. I think the train of winter storms has finally halted (after this one finishes tonight).
blahhh
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
60 posts
32 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 6:44 pm
It getting increasingly unlikely that my prediction regarding the worst of the winter cold will fail. When we were in that deep freeze and I said the worse was going to be over after that. Now it is starting to look overwhelmingly true. The cold we are seeing for the rest of winter looks substantially reduced. My long range forecast is quite mild. The cold aspect of winter is largely finished already.

Temperatures are the easy part. Not as sure about precip trends. But I am seeing signs that winter storm activity is already terminating too. I think the train of winter storms has finally halted (after this one finishes tonight).
that's sobering
Mar 30, 2013
112 posts
14 upvotes
Burlington
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
But I am seeing signs that winter storm activity is already terminating too. I think the train of winter storms has finally halted (after this one finishes tonight).
That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks, ILJAF!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
edstone wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 7:49 pm
That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks, ILJAF!
Welcome.

Again, my winter forecast beat the competition.

People might remember I disputed their prediction for "brutal winter cold" coming later in the winter. Even with the failure of el nino, I was still right!
blahhh
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11770 posts
2188 upvotes
RFD
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:

When do you think it'll be warm enough to dismount the winter tires?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5333 posts
605 upvotes
Scarborough
hope it stays mild and gets warmer.
+7 on sunday! ?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7977 posts
1155 upvotes
Toronto
apnayloags wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 3:02 pm
hope it stays mild and gets warmer.
+7 on sunday! ?
And then off course back to negative daytime highs from Monday.
Who knows, there is still time for a stream of superheated air like the last one that blasted off Morocco destabilizing the polar vortex, to repeat, plunging us into double negative numbers again.