Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Winter GONE EARLY in Toronto this year!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2019 4:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
radeonboy wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 1:51 pm
When do you think it'll be warm enough to dismount the winter tires?
There is now what I view as an 85% chance that if you even take them off now, your "all season's" will be fine in Toronto, despite the fact that they are only decent in typical conditions in 3 out of 4 seasons. But in this case, I see an 85% chance that you won't need winter tires.

But then again, I don't even know where you are located. If you are in or very near the city of Toronto, the above applies to you. If you are not, then you might need to wait a little longer.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3884 posts
1413 upvotes
Mississauga
Last year I made the mistake of swapping my tires in early April then we had a snow/ice storm a week or so later. It sucked.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17086 posts
1583 upvotes
Space for rent
If Hawaii and Las Vegas are getting snow and quite significant at that, I think we have a problem, Houston.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17086 posts
1583 upvotes
Space for rent
mrweather wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 5:52 pm
Last year I made the mistake of swapping my tires in early April then we had a snow/ice storm a week or so later. It sucked.
If it's a Corolla and beige, you're fine since they're electronically governed to go 80km/h MAX!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3884 posts
1413 upvotes
Mississauga
Supercooled wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 8:35 am
If it's a Corolla and beige, you're fine since they're electronically governed to go 80km/h MAX!
It was a Cadillac CTS-V and was almost undriveable on the performance all-season tires.
Sep 30, 2009
687 posts
350 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mrweather wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 1:07 pm
It was a Cadillac CTS-V and was almost undriveable on the performance all-season tires.
I got stuck as well in that freak storm. My car is awd too.. p-zeros and freak april storm = stuck not going anywhere.. lol
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
1709 posts
782 upvotes
This Sunday's windstorm in Ontario sounds very concerning. 80-100+ km/h wind speeds. A lot of people are gonna need new roof shingles soon. I wish I can find a giant tarp I can put over my roof to protect them.
Dec 29, 2012
689 posts
162 upvotes
Scarborough
Was planning to go out Sunday. Will 100 km/h winds knock over a small car? Or a small person? Need to put a few bottles of water in backpack to keep me grounded?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
People might get knocked over. But not cars. Empty tractor trailers can get blown over though. I would go in lock down though. Because any loose object can become a projectile. The same recommendations for hurricane will apply to this, which means no going outside during the peak of the storm.

When the remnants of the halloween hurricane many years ago came to Ontario, a person died. Last year 3 died from a storm that is the same or lesser than the one coming tomorrow. So yes, stay inside. Someone is likely to be killed tomorrow too.
Last edited by Ilovejaneandfinch on Feb 23rd, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
If Sherkston, Ontario and Lowbanks, Ontario disappear from the map Sunday night, we will know why lol
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20110 posts
4071 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Any chance of snow with that storm?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
sandikosh wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2019 7:08 pm
Any chance of snow with that storm?
Just flurries. No measurable accumulation.
blahhh
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12929 posts
1337 upvotes
Mississauga
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2019 5:32 pm
People might get knocked over. But not cars. Empty tractor trailers can get blown over though. I would go in lock down though. Because any loose object can become a projectile. The same recommendations for hurricane will apply to this, which means no going outside during the peak of the storm.

When the remnants of the halloween hurricane many years ago came to Ontario, a person died. Last year 3 died from a storm that is the same or lesser than the one coming tomorrow. So yes, stay inside. Someone is likely to be killed tomorrow too.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4992447/how- ... n-ontario/