Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Winter GONE EARLY in Toronto this year!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2019 4:12 pm
Jun 15, 2011
39091 posts
5725 upvotes
King City
test9251 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 10:18 pm
no luck. im at scarb town cntr right now charging and using free wifi. will go home late!
Their free WiFi doesn't even work. Tried connecting to it today, but gave up lol. Meaning you connect to it, load up the browser on said device (tried it on iPhone and my Android devices) but nada. Eventually just tethered lol.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
epik89 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 10:15 pm
If I slip on someone's sidewalk can I sue?
One mod said way back in this thread that "not clearing your sidewalk" after winter weather can lead to that. So doesn't matter if it is snow or ice. I believe you must do it. But I am not 100% sure if it's the law in Toronto, but you may as well, because we don't want any issues of injuries on ice on top of all this mayhem already occuring in the city.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 10:18 pm
no luck. im at scarb town cntr right now charging and using free wifi. will go home late!
Damn. that must be hard. Good thing the malls are so great and let people use them as charging centres.

But how weird is this!! This is supposed to be the time of year for Christmas shopping, ornaments and stuff and instead the malls need to be used as charging centres because this storm packed too much of a punch!
Get home safe :)
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 10:19 pm
How about by Lake Wilcox area?
Will go check right now! On the GFS model ;)

EDIT: Nope sorry. Outta luck! The area will hardly get much more than Toronto.
blahhh
Jun 15, 2011
39091 posts
5725 upvotes
King City
I think that sidewalks that are not in front of houses should be cleared by the city right? If that's the case, then the Town of Richmond Hill has failed us yet again! They haven't even cleared the side streets (front of our house) nor the sidewalks. Can't even go check the mail because its icy :( . Don't want to fall down and the books ordered from Chapters have arrived too :( .

Bleh!
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 10:25 pm
I think that sidewalks that are not in front of houses should be cleared by the city right? If that's the case, then the Town of Richmond Hill has failed us yet again! They haven't even cleared the side streets (front of our house) nor the sidewalks. Can't even go check the mail because its icy :( . Don't want to fall down and the books ordered from Chapters have arrived too :( .

Bleh!
They are clearly using every bit of their resources to clean up the big stuff from the storm and restore power. That must be why they are taking so long to clean the sidewalks. But if you really want a book to read, just walk slowly on the ice :) I'm sure nothing will happen! But do be careful though. I had to pry though that mound of mess, downed trees, ice just to escape my house to No Frills!
blahhh
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2005
4406 posts
75 upvotes
Markham/GTA
Is the power down at Markham/Ellesmere? Cannot contact loved ones.
Tangerine, FreedomMobile, Koodo, GreatCanadianRebates, Ebates, Coinbase, Shakepay, Paytm, STACK
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
716 upvotes
On the plus side, we should see a notable blip on the increased number of births by 2014 :D
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4136 upvotes
Toronto
So we managed to de-ice the car today and charged up our devices in there (laptops, tablets, phones, 3ds, vita, etc.), and I discovered the laptop in sleep mode charges all USBs so I'll be surfing and using my tablet and phone a lot. It's pretty cold and have to wear jacket and shoes all the time, so hope the power comes back before Wednesday at least...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
rageking wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 10:35 pm
On the plus side, we should see a notable blip on the increased number of births by 2014 :D
Lol

Speaking of pluses by the storm. I noticed that my internet seems to get slow on me less often ever since the storm came. I am starting to think that the reduced number of people accessing the network due to the storm is helping those that do access it have more full speed and less issues of overuse of the internet services. And when the city resumes normal funcion after full recovery from the storm, my internet will be slow again :(
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Fantaz wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 10:36 pm
So we managed to de-ice the car today and charged up our devices in there (laptops, tablets, phones, 3ds, vita, etc.), and I discovered the laptop in sleep mode charges all USBs so I'll be surfing and using my tablet and phone a lot. It's pretty cold and have to wear jacket and shoes all the time, so hope the power comes back before Wednesday at least...
Yes. Hopefully so so you can have last minute enjoyment of Christmas. But as you can see from the latest Weather Thread status and twitter updates, many could be without power through the weekend. This is "due to extensive damage caused by trees falling on power lines" So prepare for that. Let's hope you are not one of the many people that has to wait til after Christmas for it to come back.

this is the latest statement from Toronto Hydro:

I actually just found this one now:

December 23 - December 29

Toronto Hydro crews restore power to approximately 108,000 customers
December 23, 2013
7:11 p.m.
Toronto Hydro has restored approximately 108,000 customers. It is reporting that approximately 192,000 customers are still without power. Crews are working around the clock to restore service.
Toronto Hydro is focusing on large electrical feeder restoration to get the largest number of customers restored as quickly and safely as possible. We continue to advise residents without power to plan for the worst to make alternative arrangements, as restoration efforts could continue for the next few days.
Sunnybrook Hospital was restored at approximately 5:30 p.m.

Then the earlier one:

Approximately 215,000 customers without power as Toronto Hydro prepares for another long day of restoration

Toronto Hydro-Electric System Limited (Toronto Hydro) has restored 85,000 customers. It is reporting that approximately 215,000 customers are without power, which is down from the 300,000 impacted during the height of the storm.
The damage caused by fallen trees and limbs continues to delay restoration efforts. Crews are discovering multiple limbs on powerlines and in some cases, trees and ice are preventing crews from accessing roadways. Due to the severity of the damage, the estimated time of restoration has been revised. Toronto Hydro expects restoration efforts to continue into the weekend.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
1372 posts
186 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 10:20 pm
One mod said way back in this thread that "not clearing your sidewalk" after winter weather can lead to that. So doesn't matter if it is snow or ice. I believe you must do it. But I am not 100% sure if it's the law in Toronto, but you may as well, because we don't want any issues of injuries on ice on top of all this mayhem already occuring in the city.
There's a stronger case if the sidewalk clearing was attempted but poorly done rather than if it wasn't cleared at all (go figure!).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11578 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
cmackie wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 10:45 pm
There's a stronger case if the sidewalk clearing was attempted but poorly done rather than if it wasn't cleared at all (go figure!).
Wow that's crazy.
But here south of BloorDanforth, many are lucky that the layer of ice broke down mostly in the brief warm-up that happened right after the storm. In most places, there is very little to be done. Except my house of course which looks like this! (way worse, but the city will take care of it along with the trees it's removing so it's even easier)
[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-52HQzEoipys/U ... 1600/3.jpg[/IMG]
Police line do not cross, I am technically not even allowed there! but I do have to be able to leave the house when I want to.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2476 posts
248 upvotes
North York
Trigga wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 10:00 pm
Our power is back! St clair and o'connor
Folks also got power back South West of Eglinton & Victoria Park.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus via Mobilicity $25 BTS unlimited talk/text/data

:lol: $5,000.00 CASH < 2 Minutes :lol:
:lol: McD's
Online Monopoly Winner :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3861 posts
357 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
As I was flying home today passing thorough 9000feet the temp was 23 celcius! Yes positive.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)