Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Winter GONE EARLY in Toronto this year!

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2019 8:23 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5386 posts
741 upvotes
Toronto
( -_・)σ - - - - - - - - ・ SNOW

RIP in Peace
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11579 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
SoulGal wrote:
Nov 16th, 2014 4:44 pm
Car cannot be parked in the garage as it is filled with other vars.
Can't you technically just use a car cover? When you consider how simple it is to put on and put off, that takes away from all the effort required for scraping and the reisk of damage by scraping. you could try it if you are willing to search at Walmart or Canadian tire or something.

It should solve the whole problem of scraping car I think. It can also prevent the bird poop from getting on so it kills 2 birds with one stone, pun intended ;)
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/7 ... SY355_.jpg[/IMG]
blahhh
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10641 posts
753 upvotes
Brampton
JACKIE26 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2014 5:18 pm
Ugghh winter is inching its way closer to me. How many days until spring?

Who wants to guess how many people will crack up their cars in this first snowfall?

Niagara under special weather statement: 5 to 10 cm of snow tonight and Monday
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/50314 ... nd-monday/
Yea the 1st snowfall will have hundreds of accidents in this town with all the bad drivers.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11579 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Looks like every single source I have agrees that the cold trend will run its course in November then go away for December. I did say it was too uncertain in the long range to comment on December a while ago while I knew November would surely be cold which indeed turned out to be correct. Now I have enough info to confirm December won't be cold like last year. This year does appear different than last year in that we don't have this solid model support for terrible cold in all parts of the long term forecast. Now models have warmer than normal temps coming in at times in December and also just normal periods. So this will not be a deep freeze winter like last winter.

EDIT: for now, I did notice that environment Canada has Toronto in a steady trend of at and below freezing days starting after tomorrow. So any snow that comes won't go away for a while cuz new snow will keep falling a bit and it will be too cold for it to melt, even though winter is more than a month away! Again, enjoy this winter scene while it lasts, cuz the above long range update about the warmth will make the current cold a distant memory.
blahhh
Dec 8, 2008
704 posts
24 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Nov 1st, 2014 7:15 pm
This is more or less the expected pattern during November. Warm from coast to coast. There are clear signs that cold will be much more absent this year than last year

[IMG]http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/p ... oct31a.png[/IMG]

Interesting to note, it seems like years with an isolated incidence of super early snow most often feature delayed winter. So earlier than usual snow was followed by a whole month devois of more snow. Last winter our first snow waited patiently till several days later in November, but when it finally came, we got into winter much earlier than usual and once our first snow came, we kept getting more winter. The same thing happens with summer, but in reverse. I noticed that when we got 30 degrees unusually early in April, the rest of the spring was crap and not worth the early 30 degree day and when we waited for hot weather to come, once it arrived it was good and the full fledged summer weather was not too late.
ah the good ole days when the OP predicted a warm November. Weather, you are so unpredictable
Jun 15, 2011
39157 posts
5746 upvotes
King City
Still snowing here and I think it will continue on till tomorrow afternoon or so. Either way, safe drive to everyone!
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
2619 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like I'll have to dig out the winter boots earlier this season..
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11579 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
raps4lyfe wrote:
Nov 16th, 2014 8:01 pm
ah the good ole days when the OP predicted a warm November. Weather, you are so unpredictable
I remember that and remember actually what made the whole thing and this is rather interesting I did discuss it earlier. We were on a path to a warm November and all signs pointed to it. THEN, that typhoon made a curve and did this phenomena with the jet stream buckling. Almost like a damn breaking and tons of water filling into an area. Like water, cold air is so heavy so once it was unleased, it got stuck there. So the cold that was unleashed by the typhoon stuck for the rest of the month. And there went our warm November! Now its effects are wearing off by month end. And we are yet again on track for warmth in December, IF and I mean IF another typhoon does not recurve the way this one did. If one does, then we will have to go through the whole thing all over again with a typhoon wiping out the warm month lol

A quick lesson on winter dynamics. TWO things can randomly come up any time during winter and make an anotherwise warm patter suddenly change to cold on us. First is this typhoon thing which obviously starts to wind down as winter gets going, and the second one is "sudden stratospheric warming" Through a complicated process, the stratosphere warms up in a sever way with heat being forced up into that level of the atmosphere and this forces all the cold to splatter onto the surface and invade areas like Ontario, kind of like how the warmth was forced into the arctic, also unleashing cold FROM where it was supposed to be TO where it should not be which was our home region.

Both these things can appear at random times in winter and a forecast that was supposed to warm can be thrown off into the freezer by one of these. It seems climate change might be making these things happen easier, because when typhoons and other things buckle the jet stream, it happens in a much more profound way than it used to. They just said this was historic cold for the US that came from this one. Didn't we have that last year too? Seems like more than a coincidence to me. Must be the new norm for nature to exaggerate unusual moves in the jet stream.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11579 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
willyxjai wrote:
Nov 16th, 2014 8:45 pm
Looks like I'll have to dig out the winter boots earlier this season..
Keep in min the new update I just made. There are signs this cold will be replaced by a mild trend. If this switch can be confirmed this week, then you won't be needing anything for winter until Christmas break. We will have to wait and see, but right now it looks more likely than not that all this will be going away on us again till the normal start time for winter. Watch out that this is el nino. We stand the slight risk that things get stuck ABOVE normal even. Again, we must wait and see how things go.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2051 posts
344 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
I just looked outside its still snowing with no sign of letting up. I want it to stop and everything to dry up, my car is in my garage all nice and clean I don't want if getting filthy when I go out in the morning. Never mind my nice clean floors in the house all the wet filth that's going to get tracked in. Its just to early for this.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5386 posts
741 upvotes
Toronto
snowfall stopped in scarborough like 1 hour ago. not sure about now.

so long term shows warm trend? :cheesygri
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11579 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2014 10:45 pm
snowfall stopped in scarborough like 1 hour ago. not sure about now.

so long term shows warm trend? :cheesygri
Yes. Warm trend appears the most likely thing as we head into the next month. As long as some stupid typhoon does not recurve, then December WILL be reasonably mild.

btw, you might be surprised by this, but I officially confirm I am moving back to the Philippines. Kiamba is where I will end up. I decided that the weather is what makes it not worth it in Canada. It is just too depressing and miserable. I was loving it in Philippines SO I AM going back!

[IMG]http://www.sarangani.gov.ph/images/town ... 20copy.jpg[/IMG]

I'm going home, to the place where I belong.
And where your sunshine has always been enough for me.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11579 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2014 12:06 am
^
are you sure you are going there for warm weather and sunshine? [IMG]http://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/jtv_user_pi ... -21x30.png[/IMG]
Ok. You caught me. You know that apart from the WEATHER being hot, something else is very hot too!

pssst! look whats' in that picture of Kiamba!
btw, what sets that place apart is that it never gets typhoons. One reason for the lack of decent beaches in the country might have something to do with typoons. I noticed there are almost no nice beaches to be found near cities at all and that country is made up of thousands of tropical islands!

;)

If rent is low like in Davao, I wanna live in Tuki, a natural area with beaches unaffected by typhoons. Just imagine, living under beautiful sun, perfect weather, nice breeze, palm trees and nice girls, this is life!
blahhh