Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1403 posts
185 upvotes
Ottawa
Skip2MyLou wrote:
Aug 27th, 2010 5:26 pm
Just watched smackdown, anyone interested in the Alberto Del Rio and Rey Mysterio feud at all?
My favourite wrestler is Mysterio, and it looks like it could be a good feud between two mexican wrestlers. Too bad Mysterio can't work a mic, i guess Alberto will have to carry most of the promos.

I'm liking how they're pushing Del Rio...him making Mysterio, one of the big babyfaces in the company tap out is huge...so it does seem WWE are having high hopes for him. Del Rio has the look, mic skills and ability to be a big player in WWE.

I'm also really starting to dig Sheamus...he just has that unique look compared to other heels. Miz is also getting there too.

Orton is bascially Austin of the PG era, which is good...he's not those cookie cutter faces sucking up to the fans.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
3750 posts
142 upvotes
Any guesses on who Raw's mystery GM will be?
I hope they reveal it soon.
I find it hilarious now that Cole gets booed everytime there's a message.
Aug 26, 2010
903 posts
156 upvotes
Brampton
Skip2MyLou wrote:
Aug 27th, 2010 5:26 pm
I still find the thumbtacks stunt disgusting, it looks like it really hurts a lot.
Mick Foley used to do it all the time, what a brave man.
The stunts they do are insane. Like Mick Foley falling off the hell in a cell onto an announcers table, that's gotta hurt even if the table isn't made of real wood.

Yeah sadly they don't do much oldschool ECW style hardcore anymore.
The table is made of real wood except they slightly saw it in the middle so it breaks easier, the tables are also a softwood that isn't treated and can break.

I don't know how people can watch this PG WWE product that are over 16 years old. I miss the old ECW, WWF Attitude era.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1403 posts
185 upvotes
Ottawa
KangFu wrote:
Aug 30th, 2010 12:27 pm
I don't know how people can watch this PG WWE product that are over 16 years old. I miss the old ECW, WWF Attitude era.

It really has nothing to do with PG. Smackdown has been PG since 1999.

It's basically the way WWE are handling the rating, which i think has mostly to do with Linda McMahon's senate campaign. They are trying to clean their product which has had a black eye for years especially with Benoit's death which really was a huge blow to the wrestling profession.

WWE are now trying to gain younger fans since the older ones have moved on to UFC/MMA, it's just the way the business grows.

They did the same during the golden era which were targeted towards kids and had childish gimmicks like Doink the Clown. Once WCW started to be cool with NWO, that's when they decided to go with the Attitude Era with Austin as their poster boy.

Cena is basically the Hogan of today...no matter what Cena gets loud cheers and sells merchadise like crazy, so makes sense for WWE to push him and be the face of the company.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4537 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
sg2386 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2010 1:45 pm
I'm liking how they're pushing Del Rio...him making Mysterio, one of the big babyfaces in the company tap out is huge...so it does seem WWE are having high hopes for him. Del Rio has the look, mic skills and ability to be a big player in WWE.

Yea I'm feeling Del Rio. I hated his promos prior to his debut because they were just so boring. But this guy is amazing in the ring. Plus he's already generated so much heat in a mere span of 2 weeks.
Aug 26, 2010
903 posts
156 upvotes
Brampton
sg2386 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2010 5:10 pm
It really has nothing to do with PG. Smackdown has been PG since 1999.

It's basically the way WWE are handling the rating, which i think has mostly to do with Linda McMahon's senate campaign. They are trying to clean their product which has had a black eye for years especially with Benoit's death which really was a huge blow to the wrestling profession.

WWE are now trying to gain younger fans since the older ones have moved on to UFC/MMA, it's just the way the business grows.

They did the same during the golden era which were targeted towards kids and had childish gimmicks like Doink the Clown. Once WCW started to be cool with NWO, that's when they decided to go with the Attitude Era with Austin as their poster boy.

Cena is basically the Hogan of today...no matter what Cena gets loud cheers and sells merchadise like crazy, so makes sense for WWE to push him and be the face of the company.

well the last time I watched smackdown 10 years ago it was always inferior left overs of the rosters since it wasn't live like Raw. Your logic about cleaning up the product makes sense and from a business standpoint I also agree. But as a long time wrestling fan for almost 20 years their product has never been as boring and not entertaining as it is to date.

I did watch wrestling in the early 90's when WWF was PG but it was still a great product for all ages. That was peak of Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Hall, Nash, yokozuna, British bulldog undertaker, Legion of Doom etc.. back then a lot of the story lines were engaging and interesting to someone even in their 20's and 30's. I watch old promos of guys Jake the Snake or Million dollar man some of them pretty well written for a kids product even the over the top Macho/hogan promos were hilarious and entertaining.

Anyhow my point is I don't feel like the current PG WWE product is even half as a entertaining as the old PG WWF product was in the late 80's early 90's
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15798 posts
679 upvotes
Stouffville
on another note... the 900th episode of Raw is tonight.. crazy to think they have had that many episodes... 17 and a half years old Raw is... damn lol... should be a decent main event...

Sheamus, Cena, Edge, Jericho and Orton vs. Nexsus (Barrett, Slater, Otunga, Gabriel and Tarver) in a tag elimination match (similar to summerslam)...

and im sure some random hall of famers will show up or something...

smackdown was really PG since 1999? im pretty sure the rock use to say rudy poo candy ass and poon tang pie, etc on smackdown as well... :P
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1403 posts
185 upvotes
Ottawa
grappos13 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2010 8:34 pm
smackdown was really PG since 1999? im pretty sure the rock use to say rudy poo candy ass and poon tang pie, etc on smackdown as well... :P

I have a bunch of old SD shows taped from 1999-2001 and they always had the PG rating on the top left corner.

Back then they could get away with those things with a PG rating. Also i read that Vince McMahon is scared he would lose his big sponsors like Mattel, Burger King, KFC, etc. if his product went a little overboard like having blood, violent matches, controversial storylines, etc.

Look at how WWE fired Daniel Bryan because he choked out the ring announcer with his tie and one of the sponsors got upset (which I think was someone in Linda's campaign, but rumors were Mattel were the ones), with Bryan being the scapegoat, Vince had no choice but to let him go...but of course rehired him back when the whole thing blown over.

Back then if that happen, i don't think Vince would have given a crap...he would push the envelop even further just to piss off people.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4417 posts
262 upvotes
I expected to this to be about WWF... I had a small amount of hope it was about MMA wrestling! :lol:

Too bad Stone Cold Steve Austin is gone, he was the reason I used to watch the show.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6136 posts
737 upvotes
Toronto
I have a couple of questions both involve ultimate warrior.

Why is it that the ultimate only goes berserk after he has taken a wooping? if he got all pump up at the start of the match he could have avoided the beatings.

Undertaker had a match with ultimate warrior, undertaker beat the crap out of him and put him in a casket, my heart sank, but then ultimate warrior burst out of the coffin and lay a brutal beatdown on the undertaker. My question was the ultimate warrior actually dead, and then came back to life like a buff jesus would, or was it his gameplan all along?
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
3750 posts
142 upvotes
Damn that CM PUNK! LOL
he trolled us all with the Austin music.
I was REALLY hoping for either The Rock or Austin to show up tonight.
but nope.
Great promos on tonight's raw, but the matches were pure crap.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15798 posts
679 upvotes
Stouffville
^ ya... other than the CM punk, Alberto Del Rio coming out and Nexsus actually getting a win, raw was pretty crap...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4537 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
The JoMo/Shaemus match was pretty good. JoMo is awesome and needs to be pushed.

Entertaining tables match between Orton and Cena. Wow @ Orton's RKO on Cena.
Aug 26, 2010
903 posts
156 upvotes
Brampton
toalan wrote:
Aug 31st, 2010 12:00 am
I have a couple of questions both involve ultimate warrior.

Why is it that the ultimate only goes berserk after he has taken a wooping? if he got all pump up at the start of the match he could have avoided the beatings.
because that's when his pre-match steroids kicked in
toalan wrote:
Aug 31st, 2010 12:00 am
Undertaker had a match with ultimate warrior, undertaker beat the crap out of him and put him in a casket, my heart sank, but then ultimate warrior burst out of the coffin and lay a brutal beatdown on the undertaker. My question was the ultimate warrior actually dead, and then came back to life like a buff jesus would, or was it his gameplan all along?

yes that day the warrior died and came back to life as a racist right winged gay hating bigot we know him today.