PC & Video Games

Official Xbox One X Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2017 12:56 pm

Poll: So you're purchasing an "X". Which category do you fall into?

• Total votes: 68. You have voted on this poll.
You are replacing your Xbox One/S with an X

59%
You are supplementing your Xbox One/S with an X

16%
You did not have a Xbox One/S prior to purchasing an X

25%
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4841 posts
649 upvotes
calgary
M1GOmigs wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 1:42 pm
My fear is that internally at Microsoft, their leadership has slowly started to deprecate the value of console gaming. Their bread and butter is still obviously in Operating Systems, productivity and enterprise software, and now that they've thrown their hat into the pc and tablet ring, they further move away from spending on software development for the xbox, especially after a few exclusive flops and cancellations.

I feel like we'll just end up seeing more timed exclusives from them unless it's an already popular franchise like Forza, Halo or Gears, and try to hang their hat on the power of their console to get them through this gen
R&D for a new console like XBX and even the XB1S last year isn't cheap, so I really dont feel like leadership is deprecating the value of console gaming as you say. This reminds me of when everyone was so sure that Microsoft was going to sell the Xbox division almost immediately after the XB1 launch.

Like I said in the other thread I think the cancellation of Scalebound left a huge hole in the lineup and to a lesser extent the disaster of Fable Legends/Lionhead.

It was clear the focus was on games coming out in the next year, Good AAA games take 2-3 year to develop, I'm willing to bet there is stuff going on the background because they they dont look like a division right now that is phoning it in. They dont need first party studios to create exclusives, there are tons of capable studios "for hire" which is also far less risk. I do wish they would stick it out with some of these franchises a little bit longer. Id love a sequal to Alan Wake or Sunset Overdrive.

Im still a massive Halo fan so Im okay with them pushing that franchise. Id personally like to see them spin off a studio from all the talent of people at 343i and coalition that dont want to work on Gears/Halo anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5073 posts
1056 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 2:13 am
You sure? I thought it was the GPU that was "customized" to MS' specs.
All of these CPUs and GPUs are 'customized', meaning they are not 100% off the shelf parts. There is no 8-core Jaguar on the market, it's 2 quad-core CPUs together, the same that was in the base PS4/XB1. Digital Foundry was invited to MS to get an exclusive first look at Scorpio; they're basically just relaying what MS told them. But for those of us who know, it's the same Jaguar based CPU clocked at 2.3Ghz, customized to run efficiently in their box by offloading tasks to other pieces of dedicated hardware (like a chip dedicated for audio processing etc.). The PS4/Pro and even base XB1 all had this already, MS is just saying that their tech is evolved. But the CPU is what it is... a Jaguar CPU. I mean look at any other tech website and they'll call it what it is.

These consoles have relatively beefy GPUs, but they will be held back by their CPUs in some cases, as well as the base models. We'll see better visuals/significantly higher resolutions, but don't expect all games to be native 4K, or don't expect a lot of games going from 30-60fps. If you want that, you need a high-end PC or a true next gen console. As much as MS want to make XB1X seem more like a new console generation like they have in recent interviews, it's really not. It's much like the PS4 Pro, but moderately more powerful.

I said earlier that all XB1X games probably won't be native 4K, well Assassin's Creed is running at 4K using checkerboard rendering at 30fps and dynamic scaling (PS4 Pro is the same according to Ubisoft). Other games use dynamic resolution. So much for the "True 4K" MS is advertising. I mean don't get me wrong, checkerboard 4K and dynamic 4K looks more than fine, and XB1X will definitely have more native 4K games and generally run at higher resolutions than Pro; but if you're advertising True 4K and calling out the competition for using tricks and not being true 4K, you better be able to back it up.
May 9, 2007
847 posts
223 upvotes
Very VERY interesting interview with the Developer of ARK: Survival Evolved with Geoff Keighley claiming that the XB1X is 50% faster than the PS4 Pro and are able to hit full PC like Ultra settings with over 60fps but only 30fps on the Pro.

Apparently Geoff Keighly is a HUGE Sony shill and he looked so sad and uncomfortable listening to the dev talk about how much more powerful the XB1X was so he kept bring up,"what about the pro? what about the pro?" In an interview with Pachter and Keighly they were both dogging the xbox hard during the price reveal. In light of that it really makes you lose a lot of respect for Geoff for having leaked the price in advance. Very unprofessional.

Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5073 posts
1056 upvotes
When did they say over 60fps? I heard "Variable framerate"... so 60fps when looking at the ground or sky? Ark doesn't even run at 60fps on a 1080 with 16GB of RAM and i7 CPU at 1080p. I'll believe it when I see it. The game runs like s*** on all platforms right now (and it doesn't even look good), and it releases fairly soon. Very poorly optimized game.

My guess is it will be capped at 30fps on PS4 Pro, and it will have a variable unlocked framerate on XB1X, averaging ~45fps.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6031 posts
814 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah agreed. Ark is poorly optimized on all platforms. I'm sure the X is more powerful than the PS4 Pro but what that translates to in real world performance is anyones guess.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
1364 posts
684 upvotes
Windsor
Bryson wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 6:22 pm
Very VERY interesting interview with the Developer of ARK: Survival Evolved with Geoff Keighley claiming that the XB1X is 50% faster than the PS4 Pro and are able to hit full PC like Ultra settings with over 60fps but only 30fps on the Pro.

Apparently Geoff Keighly is a HUGE Sony shill and he looked so sad and uncomfortable listening to the dev talk about how much more powerful the XB1X was so he kept bring up,"what about the pro? what about the pro?" In an interview with Pachter and Keighly they were both dogging the xbox hard during the price reveal. In light of that it really makes you lose a lot of respect for Geoff for having leaked the price in advance. Very unprofessional.

so what about ps4 pro?
xbox one x and ps4 pro 60fps?
not really possible
because xbox one x has a lot more of ram
oh oh okay
yeah i mean xbox one x in our game= epic setting 60fps

What a pathetic loserSmiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3499 posts
291 upvotes
9394 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2017 6:34 pm
$499. Meh...

Better be $549 Canadian...
switch is 300 us and 400 cad
ps4p is 400 us and 500 cad

what makes you think microsoft will sell the 500 us XBOX for 550 cad? they're not a charity. 600 is a pretty damn good conversion rate given our Canadian pesos
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3499 posts
291 upvotes
thechampion116 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 11:54 am
Whats the point if you don't have exclusive games? Might as well just get a PC.
find us a $600 PC that renders games 4K

I agree with you exclusives are a big draw and that the market for this is very small....but we cannot pretend this a bad value.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4841 posts
649 upvotes
calgary
twitchyzero wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 2:31 am
find us a $600 PC that renders games 4K
I find the "get a PC" argument really hollow and a bit annoying, I want a turn key pleasant looking box that sits under my TV.
If I wanted to do all my gaming on my PC I could have done that a long time ago, its been a really good platform for quite a while, but its still not a console.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2196 posts
240 upvotes
Ajax
Bryson wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 6:22 pm

Geoff is a twat and cocky as hell. Remember him back on that stupid Tv show on G4 in the day. Gawking at the women all day.

And Pachter, lol where do we start. That turd rarely gets anything right. He's like one of those housing financial guys who says the market is going to drop 40% and it continues to grow, The only reason that guy has a voice is because he was the only financial analyst back in the day to make commentary on the games industry. Look him up. A lot of hot air and nothing more. Him and Geoff look good together on the stage. lol
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2196 posts
240 upvotes
Ajax
Now as far as these reports surfacing that games are not taking advantage of Xbox One X specs or the machine cannot handle them is problematic for M$ and I suggest they get their s#*# together in the next couple of days and address it. If 3rd parties are developing to only PS4 Pro specs, then there is a problem not only for M$ but the industry. I already have a Pro and would consider the X but if this recent state of affairs is going to be the norm, then there is no incentive to jump on X.

Also anyone know why M$ has not been able to get certification for airways? Seems odd not to have that wrapped up at this stage of the game,
Apr 16, 2017
151 posts
156 upvotes
mrtvgame wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 2:15 pm
Now as far as these reports surfacing that games are not taking advantage of Xbox One X specs or the machine cannot handle them is problematic for M$ and I suggest they get their s#*# together in the next couple of days and address it. If 3rd parties are developing to only PS4 Pro specs, then there is a problem not only for M$ but the industry. I already have a Pro and would consider the X but if this recent state of affairs is going to be the norm, then there is no incentive to jump on X.

Also anyone know why M$ has not been able to get certification for airways? Seems odd not to have that wrapped up at this stage of the game,
Interesting - didn't believe you, then went and checked. Assassin's Creed and Destiny are both going to be 4K/30 on PS4P and XB1X.

Microsoft is making large assumptions that 3rd party developers are going to allocate resources to a better version of their games for a console they don't know will sell yet.

Doesn't seem like anyone here is picking one up? Anyone on RFD plan on buying the XB1X?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4841 posts
649 upvotes
calgary
LightYagami wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 2:35 pm
Interesting - didn't believe you, then went and checked. Assassin's Creed and Destiny are both going to be 4K/30 on PS4P and XB1X.

Microsoft is making large assumptions that 3rd party developers are going to allocate resources to a better version of their games for a console they don't know will sell yet.

Doesn't seem like anyone here is picking one up? Anyone on RFD plan on buying the XB1X?
Im actually coming around to the idea of it, I was sold beforehand if the price was 399.99 but the price initially turned me off. If I can get a good price for my XB1S then I think I'll make the jump.

Im a big fan of new hardware and despite the price this thing seems like a really high quality well thought out device.
I do a lot of my gaming on my XB1 though and the difference in a game like Battlefront that is going from 720P to potentially 4K is going to be a pretty big upgrade.
Even a game like AC:O which is going to get a boost from 900P to 4K checkerboard or whatever is going to feel like a pretty substantial upgrade.

I skipped the PS4Pro, I was actually pretty satisifed with what the PS4 could do and the jump there did not seem worth the price to me. Also it just seemed poorly thought out when it launched, lots of older games didnt have support and supersampling is still not a system wide feature.

Complicating things is I dont currently have a 4K TV and Im waiting for the HDMI 2.1 Spec to be a thing before I drop the $$$.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6031 posts
814 upvotes
Grimsby
People should temper their expectations a bit. It's not like the thing is housing a 1080. It's still a Jaguar CPU with a modest bump in GPU capability. 4k/30fps is nothing to sneeze at either. 4k/60fps isn't going to be possible for all game types and frankly might require a level of optimization that devs aren't willing to commit for the platform due to its sales. It's still going to run some older titles a little faster and have other advantages.

Hopefully with the spec war nonsense out of the way Microsoft can return to producing some exclusives again. I just worry they're falling really far behind at this point. It takes 2-3 years to produce a solid AAA these days and the PS4/Switch are selling gangbusters. Hopefully Phil doubles down on the games next year because it's the only missing piece of the puzzle.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5073 posts
1056 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 3:02 pm
People should temper their expectations a bit. It's not like the thing is housing a 1080. It's still a Jaguar CPU with a modest bump in GPU capability. 4k/30fps is nothing to sneeze at either. 4k/60fps isn't going to be possible for all game types and frankly might require a level of optimization that devs aren't willing to commit for the platform due to its sales. It's still going to run some older titles a little faster and have other advantages.

Hopefully with the spec war nonsense out of the way Microsoft can return to producing some exclusives again. I just worry they're falling really far behind at this point. It takes 2-3 years to produce a solid AAA these days and the PS4/Switch are selling gangbusters. Hopefully Phil doubles down on the games next year because it's the only missing piece of the puzzle.
Yup. I may come off as anti-Xbox, but I'm just trying to be realistic here, because MS is making XB1X sound more impressive than it really is. I don't blame them because they're trying to sell a $500 box to people, so they're trying to differentiate themselves from the competition and justify the price difference, but they're being kind of shady about it IMO. I mean one of their big selling points is advertising 'true 4K', but they're using the same techniques as the PS4 Pro with checkerboard rendering and dynamic scaling. MS even states in their 'True 4K' labeling that it includes CBR and dynamic scaling. XB1X is generally running higher resolutions, but they called out Sony for using these same techniques. They're making it seem like XB1X is a whole different beast from PS4 Pro, but it's basically the same jump between XB1 and PS4.

MS is spending a lot more money and effort in advertising XB1X and it's obviously working. Just earlier in this thread, we had people believing that all XB1X games will be 4K/60, or all games will be native 4K. Truth of the matter is, 4K is extremely taxing that only the highest-end PCs can handle. 4K is also a waste of resources IMO, because there are smart techniques to upsample that look nearly as good, and there's diminishing returns at these really high resolutions.

People also have to realize that development costs of AAA games are really high. Most developers are going to target the lowest common denominator, so that means the base PS4/XB1; then from there they'll scale up. This happens all the time when there's a generation crossover period, but it's especially true now since they're part of the same console family and the games need to support both systems. Some developers also have certain targets for their games that may not even take full potential of either hardware. So anyone who thinks that a developer is purposely holding back a system due to parity is delusional.

I know Ubisoft said that PS4Pro and XB1X will both be 4K/30 (edit: for Assassin's Creed Origins that is), but they both use dynamic scaling AFAIK. XB1X will probably run at a slightly higher average resolution. And having more RAM, XB1X may also have slightly higher quality assets like textures etc. This is basically what you can expect from XB1X over the PS4 Pro... moderately higher resolutions and assets. Don't expect some massive leap over the PS4 Pro. The fact that they're grouped together with the base PS4/XB1, and the fact that they have the same relatively slow Jaguar CPU (just clocked ~31% higher) are the reasons why we can't expect a bigger jump in quality like 30fps -> 60fps etc. If you're looking for a true generational leap over PS4/XB1, you need a high-end PC, or wait for PS5/XB2. PS4Pro/XB1X are, for the most part, for people with 4K displays that are looking for the best visual PS4/XB1 experience possible. Neither machines are going to replace a high-end PC.

PS4 Pro hasn't had the best support from developers, but with the release of the XB1X, Pro will probably get more/better support as there are now two mid-gen machines on the market and it makes it more worthwhile. For example, The Witcher 3 wasn't planned to get PS4 Pro support, but CD Projekt recently confirmed that both XB1X and PS4 Pro will receive patches. So in a way, XB1X is actually a good thing for PS4 Pro owners.
Last edited by rahzel on Jun 15th, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)