PC & Video Games

Official Xbox One X Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2017 12:56 pm

Poll: So you're purchasing an "X". Which category do you fall into?

• Total votes: 68. You have voted on this poll.
You are replacing your Xbox One/S with an X

59%
You are supplementing your Xbox One/S with an X

16%
You did not have a Xbox One/S prior to purchasing an X

25%
Aug 4, 2003
518 posts
26 upvotes
Edmonton
i dont ever plan to build a 4K PC so the "exclusive" games that Xbox One X will get look good to me, even though many will be on Windows. Will be purchasing one around launch time.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2880 posts
951 upvotes
dattroll123 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2017 8:01 pm
probably named by the same guy who thought of "xbox one". That being said....

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox one
Xbox one S
Xbox one X

X Box One X
XBOX

we've reached full circle lol.
I still see Xbone.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2196 posts
240 upvotes
Ajax
rahzel wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 6:01 pm
Yup. I may come off as anti-Xbox, but I'm just trying to be realistic here, because MS is making XB1X sound more impressive than it really is. I don't blame them because they're trying to sell a $500 box to people, so they're trying to differentiate themselves from the competition and justify the price difference, but they're being kind of shady about it IMO. I mean one of their big selling points is advertising 'true 4K', but they're using the same techniques as the PS4 Pro with checkerboard rendering and dynamic scaling. MS even states in their 'True 4K' labeling that it includes CBR and dynamic scaling. XB1X is generally running higher resolutions, but they called out Sony for using these same techniques. They're making it seem like XB1X is a whole different beast from PS4 Pro, but it's basically the same jump between XB1 and PS4.

MS is spending a lot more money and effort in advertising XB1X and it's obviously working. Just earlier in this thread, we had people believing that all XB1X games will be 4K/60, or all games will be native 4K. Truth of the matter is, 4K is extremely taxing that only the highest-end PCs can handle. 4K is also a waste of resources IMO, because there are smart techniques to upsample that look nearly as good, and there's diminishing returns at these really high resolutions.

People also have to realize that development costs of AAA games are really high. Most developers are going to target the lowest common denominator, so that means the base PS4/XB1; then from there they'll scale up. This happens all the time when there's a generation crossover period, but it's especially true now since they're part of the same console family and the games need to support both systems. Some developers also have certain targets for their games that may not even take full potential of either hardware. So anyone who thinks that a developer is purposely holding back a system due to parity is delusional.

I know Ubisoft said that PS4Pro and XB1X will both be 4K/30, but they both use dynamic scaling AFAIK. XB1X will probably run at a slightly higher average resolution. And having more RAM, XB1X may also have slightly higher quality assets like textures etc. This is basically what you can expect from XB1X over the PS4 Pro... moderately higher resolutions and assets. Don't expect some massive leap over the PS4 Pro. The fact that they're grouped together with the base PS4/XB1, and the fact that they have the same relatively slow Jaguar CPU (just clocked ~31% higher) are the reasons why we can't expect a bigger jump in quality like 30fps -> 60fps etc. If you're looking for a true generational leap over PS4/XB1, you need a high-end PC, or wait for PS5/XB2. PS4Pro/XB1X are, for the most part, for people with 4K displays that are looking for the best visual PS4/XB1 experience possible. Neither machines are going to replace a high-end PC.

PS4 Pro hasn't had the best support from developers, but with the release of the XB1X, Pro will probably get more/better support as there are now two mid-gen machines on the market and it makes it more worthwhile. For example, The Witcher 3 wasn't planned to get PS4 Pro support, but CD Projekt recently confirmed that both XB1X and PS4 Pro will receive patches. So in a way, XB1X is actually a good thing for PS4 Pro owners.
Great post and summary.

I will make the jump to the X if there is some sort of trade in incentive, otherwise I'll stick with S that I just upgraded last Christmas. Sadly, I find most of my gaming is done on the PS4 Pro at this point.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3055 posts
249 upvotes
You sir hit it the nail right on the head. The only thing I would add is that they are also missing an actual army of exclusives. I can close my eyes on hardware and go get a PS4/pro or a switch. I was excited about the Scorpio and E3 literally made sure I was never going to go buy one at the price they are selling it at. When I look at Tomb raider, Witcher 3, Horizon, I feel bad for this xbox. Given that the CPU is still a jaguar, it's likely not going to throw double the FPS compared to a PS4/Pro. If they are banking on just eye candy with little to no exclusives, I wonder who's the target market for the One X.

Cheers,

Edit: typo
rahzel wrote:
Yup. I may come off as anti-Xbox, but I'm just trying to be realistic here, because MS is making XB1X sound more impressive than it really is. I don't blame them because they're trying to sell a $500 box to people, so they're trying to differentiate themselves from the competition and justify the price difference, but they're being kind of shady about it IMO. I mean one of their big selling points is advertising 'true 4K', but they're using the same techniques as the PS4 Pro with checkerboard rendering and dynamic scaling. MS even states in their 'True 4K' labeling that it includes CBR and dynamic scaling. XB1X is generally running higher resolutions, but they called out Sony for using these same techniques. They're making it seem like XB1X is a whole different beast from PS4 Pro, but it's basically the same jump between XB1 and PS4.

MS is spending a lot more money and effort in advertising XB1X and it's obviously working. Just earlier in this thread, we had people believing that all XB1X games will be 4K/60, or all games will be native 4K. Truth of the matter is, 4K is extremely taxing that only the highest-end PCs can handle. 4K is also a waste of resources IMO, because there are smart techniques to upsample that look nearly as good, and there's diminishing returns at these really high resolutions.

People also have to realize that development costs of AAA games are really high. Most developers are going to target the lowest common denominator, so that means the base PS4/XB1; then from there they'll scale up. This happens all the time when there's a generation crossover period, but it's especially true now since they're part of the same console family and the games need to support both systems. Some developers also have certain targets for their games that may not even take full potential of either hardware. So anyone who thinks that a developer is purposely holding back a system due to parity is delusional.

I know Ubisoft said that PS4Pro and XB1X will both be 4K/30 (edit: for Assassin's Creed Origins that is), but they both use dynamic scaling AFAIK. XB1X will probably run at a slightly higher average resolution. And having more RAM, XB1X may also have slightly higher quality assets like textures etc. This is basically what you can expect from XB1X over the PS4 Pro... moderately higher resolutions and assets. Don't expect some massive leap over the PS4 Pro. The fact that they're grouped together with the base PS4/XB1, and the fact that they have the same relatively slow Jaguar CPU (just clocked ~31% higher) are the reasons why we can't expect a bigger jump in quality like 30fps -> 60fps etc. If you're looking for a true generational leap over PS4/XB1, you need a high-end PC, or wait for PS5/XB2. PS4Pro/XB1X are, for the most part, for people with 4K displays that are looking for the best visual PS4/XB1 experience possible. Neither machines are going to replace a high-end PC.

PS4 Pro hasn't had the best support from developers, but with the release of the XB1X, Pro will probably get more/better support as there are now two mid-gen machines on the market and it makes it more worthwhile. For example, The Witcher 3 wasn't planned to get PS4 Pro support, but CD Projekt recently confirmed that both XB1X and PS4 Pro will receive patches. So in a way, XB1X is actually a good thing for PS4 Pro owners.
Last edited by Cress on Jun 19th, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4841 posts
649 upvotes
calgary
rahzel wrote:
wall of text
Id

Honestly the difference between PS4 and XB1 was barely noticeable to the untrained eye but everyone made a large deal about that, I dont think this case is any different and I think the results wont be any different, we'll see higher resolutions/better textures/upgrade graphical features but most people won't care about that except for the most hardcore (which is exactly the target audience for this console).

I also think the line about developing to the lowest common denominator doesn't make sense, how many PC games come and go with all kinds of extra graphical settings? If anything they start on a really powerful PC and scale down to each of the consoles.

The console and games shown are still months away from release, I think its still too early to make any conclusions or comparisons to the PS4Pro on performance.

I think Microsoft has a lot more to gain from a mid gen refresh and it certainly seems that way given how they are treating the XB1X compared to how Sony has treated the PS4Pro
Cress wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 1:17 pm
If they are banking on just eye candy with little to no exclusives, I wonder who's the target market for the One X.
Its not different then the PS4Pro, its for people who want an upgrade over their current XB1 or people who just want the best console experience for their third party games. In this case the jump from XB1 to XB1X is far greater then the jump from PS4 to PS4 Pro so its actually a much better proposition than what Sony was offering.

XB1 may be lagging behind in exclusives at this moment but it does have a lot of great programs that Sony refuses to offer like EA Access, Backwards Compatibility, and GamePass. Exclusives aside I think buying an XB1X for your third party games and having access to those is actually a pretty good proposition. I could see situtations where someone bought a PS4 instead of an XB1 back when they launched but are interested in adding XB1X to their console collection because it'll play third party games the best and it offers the services mentioned above.

Id argue at this point though its going to be a tough sell to get anyone invested in the Playstation to switch unless they were invested in the Xbox during the 360 generation and miss what they had then.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3499 posts
291 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 10:47 am
I find the "get a PC" argument really hollow and a bit annoying, I want a turn key pleasant looking box that sits under my TV.
If I wanted to do all my gaming on my PC I could have done that a long time ago, its been a really good platform for quite a while, but its still not a console.
equally annoying is how people are complaining consoles are too expensive...yet there's nothing that can run close to its performance anywhere near its price bracket. 12GB of GDDR5 does not come cheap. The teardown video suggests they've also put tons into R&D (form factor, liquid-cooling)

and like hello, have you seen our dollar?

i understand six bills is no small change...but it's all about pay to play if you want a great experience otherwise just buy a One S for literally half the price. No one is forcing consumers to get the latest and 'greatest'...not even Apple despite what you might think (their iPad have not changed in resolution in 5 years...although the battery life and speed might be an issue according to a family member haha)

and also, did everyone forget that PS3 10 years ago costed $699? That's over $800 adjusted for inflation
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Apr 16, 2017
151 posts
156 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 9:09 pm
equally annoying is how people are complaining consoles are too expensive...yet there's nothing that can run close to its performance anywhere near its price bracket. 12GB of GDDR5 does not come cheap. The teardown video suggests they've also put tons into R&D (form factor, liquid-cooling)

and like hello, have you seen our dollar?

i understand six bills is no small change...but it's all about pay to play if you want a great experience otherwise just buy a One S for literally half the price. No one is forcing consumers to get the latest and 'greatest'...not even Apple despite what you might think (their iPad have not changed in resolution in 5 years...although the battery life and speed might be an issue according to a family member haha)

and also, did everyone forget that PS3 10 years ago costed $699? That's over $800 adjusted for inflation
Price is fine, lack of games is not. So therefore, it's not worth $599.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2196 posts
240 upvotes
Ajax
Pre-orders are up for those interested. Nice limited edition day one Project Scorpio console. Already sold out at Ebgames.ca and Amazon.ca
Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/-/1 ... videogames

Walmart:
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/xbox-one-x/6000197211770

If you want one of these you should probably lock in now. Otherwise sounds like there will be the regular version up for pre-order in the coming weeks.

EDIT: Sold Out at Best Buy but still up at Walmart. Although not clear with Walmart if it is the Scorpio limited edition. You know them, lol.
Last edited by mrtvgame on Aug 20th, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4954 posts
1769 upvotes
Xbox One X enhanced games list:
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Anthem
ARK: Survival Evolved (Game Preview)
Ashen
Assassin’s Creed Origins
ASTRONEER (Game Preview)
Battlerite
Below
Black Desert
Brawlout
Chess Ultra
CODE VEIN
Conan Exiles
Crackdown 3
Danger Zone
Dark and Light
Darksiders III
Dead Rising 4
Deep Rock Galactic
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls – Ultimate Evil Edition
Dishonored 2
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
Disneyland Adventures
Dovetail Games Euro Fishing
DRAGON BALL Fighter Z
Dynasty Warriors 9
EA SPORTS FIFA 18
Elex THQ Nordic
Elite: Dangerous
EVERSPACE
F1 2017
Fable Fortune
Fallout 4
Farming Simulator 17
Final Fantasy XV
Firewatch
For Honor
Forza Horizon 3
Forza Motorsport 7
Gears of War 4
Gravel
Halo 5: Guardians
Halo Wars 2
Hand of Fate 2
Hello Neighbor
HITMAN
Homefront: The Revolution
Injustice 2
Jurassic Park
Killer Instinct
Killing Floor 2
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Madden NFL 18
Mafia III
Mantis Burn Racing
METAL GEAR SURVIVE
Metro: Exodus
Middle-earth: Shadow of War
Minecraft: Xbox One Edition
Minion Masters
Monster Hunter: World
NBA 2K18
Need for Speed Payback
Ooblets
Ori and the Will of the Wisp
Outcast – Second Contact
Outlast 2
Paladins
Path of Exile
Pixar Rush
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
Portal Knights
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
Project Cars 2
Quantum Break
Raiders of the Broken Planet
Railway Empire
Real Farm Simulator 2017
ReCore
Resident Evil 7 biohazard
RiME
ROBLOX
Robocraft Infinity
Rocket League
Sea of Thieves
Slime Rancher
SMITE
Sonic Forces
Star Wars II Battlefront
State of Decay 2
STEEP
Strange Brigade
Super Lucky’s Tale
SUPERHOT
Surviving Mars
Tennis World Tour
The Artful Escape
The Crew 2
The Darwin Project
The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
The Last Night Raw
The Long Dark
The Surge
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Titanfall 2
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands
Tom Clancy’s The Division
Train Sim World
TT Isle of Man – Ride on the Edge
Warframe
Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide
We Happy Few
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
World of Tanks
WRC 7 FIA World Rally Championship
Zoo Tycoon
Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/over-100-games-wi ... 1Zl0Tb1.99
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4954 posts
1769 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 9:35 am
That will drive sales like crazy I'd imagine. I haven't been this hooked on a multiplayer game since WoW.
I'm looking forward to playing it. MS is probably throwing a ton of $ into to ensure it gets out before the holiday season. If MS was smart, they'd release a bundle: Xbox One X, Battlegrounds and one year of XBL for $50 more.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)