PC & Video Games

Official Xbox One X Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2018 12:10 pm

Poll: So you're purchasing an "X". Which category do you fall into?

• Total votes: 76. You have voted on this poll.
You are replacing your Xbox One/S with an X

55%
You are supplementing your Xbox One/S with an X

16%
You did not have a Xbox One/S prior to purchasing an X

29%
Aug 20, 2009
6326 posts
997 upvotes
Grimsby
Dpack22 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 12:51 pm
Also the load times on BF1 are SIGNIFICANTLY shorter than on my old Xbox One S, the irony being I can't play any faster because I have to wait for everyone else to load in Face With Tears Of Joy.

I've only had the console a few days, but it has definitely met the very high expectations I had. If anyone picked up a 4k TV on black friday I would highly recommend getting this.

On a side note, does anyone know where we stand with the surge protection issue? I plugged my XB1 directly into the wall as instructed but I don't know if it really matters TBH.
To be honest I haven't really noticed any load time improvements but its still a 5400RPM drive in there, just one with a bigger cache now. I'm sure the DF people have done some tests though and I've only been able to compare 2 games so /shrug.

The surge protection thing was just a total mistake by someone at Microsoft and has been corrected. You can use a surge protector and it will not affect anything.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6364 posts
1472 upvotes
Games like The Witcher 3 load at a full minute faster on XBox One X which is half the time shorter.
Overall the load times are improved around 30-45% over XBox One S depending on the game.

It is similar to how the PS4 Pro loads faster than the PS4 even if you have the same default stock 5400 rpm hard drive installed.

11 minutes 31 seconds into this video:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6364 posts
1472 upvotes
Digital Foundry's list of XBox One X enhanced games that have big improvements over the PS4 Pro enhanced versions and the ones that are about the same.

Significantly better on XBox One X over PS4 Pro:

Battlefront 2
Wolfenstein 2
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Middle Earth: Shadow of War
Hitman
Ghost Recon Wildlands

Better or the Same experience on PS4 Pro:

FIFA18
Skyrim HD
Titan Fall 2
COD Infinite Warfare
Fortnite

They did not listThe Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed Origins because the patch was released after they started making the video
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6364 posts
1472 upvotes
I have a week off work. I bought Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition in the XBox One game packaging to test out the backwards compatibility enhancements.
Inside the game case are just two XBox 360 discs. It seems odd to repackage it like that; with an XBox One branded game
case and cover art but with old XBox 360 game discs.

This is one of those games that was enhanced by Microsoft to have native 4K output, improved anti aliasing, etc. after patch updates are installed.

Comparison screenshots:

Fallout 3 - PS3 version (720p native resolution)

Fallout 3 - XBox One X enhanced (4k downsampled to 1080p mode)

Fallout 3 - XBox One X enahanced (Native 4K mode)

Last edited by XFactor11 on Jan 9th, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6364 posts
1472 upvotes
Comparison screenshots:

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6364 posts
1472 upvotes
Comparison screenshots:

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6364 posts
1472 upvotes
Digital Foundry compares The Evil Within 2 between XBox One X and PS4 Pro.

Summary:
XBox One Native resolution : 3200 x 1800 (1800p native resolution)
PS4 Pro Native resolution: 1920 x 1080 (1080p native resolution)

The recommend playing using the capped 30 frames per second option because the uncapped framerate mode cannot hit
a steady 60 frames per second on either console.

Uncapped framerate mode heavily varies between 33-45 frames per second on both systems which causes a lot of uneven
stutters during gameplay.

Image quality is much better on the XBox One X due to the higher native resolution.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6364 posts
1472 upvotes
Digital Foundry covers Forza Horizon 3 on XBox One X vs PC.

Keep in mind that Forza Horizon 3 is an open world racing game with free roam environments, therefore it is 30 frames per second.
The Forza Motorsport games are normal racing games and are 60 frames per second.

A good gaming PC can hit 4K 60 FPS although it probably requires something in the range of a 1080ti

Playground Games' premiere open-world racing title gets enhanced Xbox One X support - adding a true native 4K with many more bells and whistles. Here we compare it to PC at max settings, where the contest is surprisingly close - and with a few major plus points on X hardware including the use of 4x MSAA.

Native 4K on the X
4X MSAA on the X
Locked 30fps on the X
Calls it a showcase for 4K
source:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/digita ... est.16542/

Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4998 posts
700 upvotes
calgary
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 1:05 pm
Digital Foundry covers Forza Horizon 3 on XBox One X vs PC.

Keep in mind that Forza Horizon 3 is an open world racing game with free roam environments, therefore it is 30 frames per second.
The Forza Motorsport games are normal racing games and are 60 frames per second.

A good gaming PC can hit 4K 60 FPS although it probably requires something in the range of a 1080ti

source:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/digita ... est.16542/

Oooooh, excited to try this one out. Forza Horizon 3 on just a regular Xbox One is one of the nicest looking open world games I've played.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5744 posts
1921 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 1:05 pm
Older ones can do 1080p/60fps pretty easily after the spring patch. Even before the patch I was able to get 60fps with occasional drops on my old rig
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4998 posts
700 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 2:10 pm
Older ones can do 1080p/60fps pretty easily after the spring patch. Even before the patch I was able to get 60fps with occasional drops on my old rig

Forza Horizon was one of the first games I put to the test when I was putting my GTX1060 through the runs about a year ago and it was struggling to hit 30FPS when I set it to 1080P/high settings granted I believe that game had a bit of a reputation for being a poor port.

Unless your confusing this with Forza Motorsport? that game isn't nearly as demanding its a closed track racer. The original FM5 was hitting 1080/60fps on the base Xbox one hardware and the latest runs at 4k/60fps on the X.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5744 posts
1921 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 3:05 pm
Forza Horizon was one of the first games I put to the test when I was putting my GTX1060 through the runs about a year ago and it was struggling to hit 30FPS when I set it to 1080P/high settings granted I believe that game had a bit of a reputation for being a poor port.

Unless your confusing this with Forza Motorsport? that game isn't nearly as demanding its a closed track racer. The original FM5 was hitting 1080/60fps on the base Xbox one hardware and the latest runs at 4k/60fps on the X.
No I meant FH3. Apex is a breeze and I could probably get 4K/60fps out of that and maybe FM7 (haven't tried yet). FH3 launched in a bad state but I was still able to run it at 60fps with some drops around the city area at 1080p/high, and absolutely no issues locking it to 30fps maxed out. Apparently the spring patch doubled performance on some builds and made running at a locked 60fps much easier. Waiting for a better price before I pick it up
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4998 posts
700 upvotes
calgary
Checked out FH3 last night, only meant to boot it up and drive around for a bit but ended up playing for over an hour, I forgot what a relaxing game this is to play.

Anyways the graphical update wasn't very noticeable at first, likely due to the fact that the original version of the game was already running at 1080P with a very aggressive form of AA and I started out in a desert area.

But than I did a race in the rain forrest at sunset during a rainstorm in cockpit view and it was really impressive. The car models don't look that much better but the foilage and the rain drops all look much cleaner. Also this is really the first time I've played the game with HDR active and it might be a showcase for what HDR can do, everything just looks so clean and realistic. I finished off racing a fighter jet in the middle of a city in a Lamborghini. I know its easy in a racing game but everything just looks very life like when your in motion.

Its a fun game, its nice to have an excuse to come back to it.