• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2017 4:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4370 posts
1158 upvotes

Official Xbox Scorpio Thread

I'm excited for this system and will likely purchase at launch. Hopefully EBG has a trade in promo.

77 replies
Sep 12, 2012
645 posts
473 upvotes
If those rumors are true its essentially PS4 Pro with better graphics...
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4548 posts
547 upvotes
I was pretty excited when this was announced and ready to hand over my money but after seeing how the PS4 Pro has been handled Im pretty skeptical and debating if its worth the upgrade (granted the upgrade from XB1 to Scorpio will likely be massive compared to PS4 to PS4 Pro).

I was also planning on picking up a 4K TV this year but I think Im going to wait until HDMI 2.1 gets sorted out before I do that so I wont be on that bandwagon until next year at the earliest and so this wont benefit me as much as it potentially could.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
3288 posts
936 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I just built a pretty powerful pc for Oculus Rift this past summer and that cost me a pretty penny. Unless Scorpio has plans to support Oculus headsets, I may wait until a major price cut or EB is going to need a great trade promo.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5614 posts
583 upvotes
Grimsby
I don't know, not to be a killjoy but I'm not excited without seeing the games and that's where Microsoft has been falling short for me lately. I can't keep subsisting on Halo/Gears/Forza. I use my One S to play 360 games more than Xbox One games which is a bit of a bummer. The PS4 Pro has shown that it takes awhile for companies to catch up on these newer iterations too so getting one right away has sort of dubious benefits.

I hope we see a few Scorpio exclusives (I dont care if they run on the Xbox One even) at E3, they need something to sell me the hardware. I feel like people wouldn't really be that upset at this stage and even if they are, who cares? They're way behind Sony so time to take some risks.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2848 posts
501 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 8:55 am
I don't know, not to be a killjoy but I'm not excited without seeing the games and that's where Microsoft has been falling short for me lately. I can't keep subsisting on Halo/Gears/Forza. I use my One S to play 360 games more than Xbox One games which is a bit of a bummer. The PS4 Pro has shown that it takes awhile for companies to catch up on these newer iterations too so getting one right away has sort of dubious benefits.

I hope we see a few Scorpio exclusives (I dont care if they run on the Xbox One even) at E3, they need something to sell me the hardware. I feel like people wouldn't really be that upset at this stage and even if they are, who cares? They're way behind Sony so time to take some risks.
I think people are going to be disappointed by Scorpio in general, because they expect it to be a next-gen type of console, when it's likely just a faster Xbox One made to accommodate 4k resolutions. If I got $0.05 every time someone has told me "I'm not going to buy an XBone, I'll just wait for Scorpio", I'd probably afford a small coffee... but they're all thinking of consoles the way they used to be, where each generation brought a huge leap forward in fidelity and innovation, and not the potentially iterative future of console development we're going to be seeing from Sony and MS. I blame that on MS' vague marketing, but they've been doing a poor job in recent years anyway.

Also, Phil Spencer last year during E3 spoke w/ GiantBomb on their stream, and pretty much said that Xbox One owners probably wouldn't need a Scorpio unless they upgrade to a 4k TV... While some take this as just a bit of reassurance-type messaging to original xbox one users, I think there's probably some truth to that.
PSN: M̶1̶G̶O̶m̶i̶g̶s̶ | XBox Live: M1GO
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1084 posts
102 upvotes
GVRD
Hoping it's good, my xbox gets the most use so I'll buy Scorpio on day even if it's just meh.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2177 posts
764 upvotes
Vancouver
M1GOmigs wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 12:17 pm
I think people are going to be disappointed by Scorpio in general, because they expect it to be a next-gen type of console, when it's likely just a faster Xbox One made to accommodate 4k resolutions. If I got $0.05 every time someone has told me "I'm not going to buy an XBone, I'll just wait for Scorpio", I'd probably afford a small coffee... but they're all thinking of consoles the way they used to be, where each generation brought a huge leap forward in fidelity and innovation, and not the potentially iterative future of console development we're going to be seeing from Sony and MS. I blame that on MS' vague marketing, but they've been doing a poor job in recent years anyway.
True 4K gaming, higher quality textures, and VR capability are pretty big bullet points. I would expect other enhancements like multi-monitor support and keyboard/mouse input. I think most people have tempered expectations given it's a four year refresh cycle.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1023 posts
352 upvotes
Hamilton
I really hope Scorpio blows it out of the park. To my knowledge Phil Spencer is directly responsible for Xbox turning things around after the Don Mattrick era, so it's in very capable hands. If they can pull off a 4k 60fps machine and price it reasonably they will own this generation. I don't currently own a 4k TV but i'm seriously looking at buying one because of Scorpio

What I really hope DOESN'T happen is a repeat of the original PS3 launch. Anyone remember the fat PS3s for like $600? Me neither.
Spidey wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 10:59 am
You're 26, and your mom still buys your toilet paper.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2848 posts
501 upvotes
Toronto
Dpack22 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 11:09 am
I really hope Scorpio blows it out of the park. To my knowledge Phil Spencer is directly responsible for Xbox turning things around after the Don Mattrick era, so it's in very capable hands. If they can pull off a 4k 60fps machine and price it reasonably they will own this generation. I don't currently own a 4k TV but i'm seriously looking at buying one because of Scorpio

What I really hope DOESN'T happen is a repeat of the original PS3 launch. Anyone remember the fat PS3s for like $600? Me neither.
I agree, the Phil Spencer days of the Xbox One have been great so far... and I hope they don't lose their focus like they did when the Xbox One initially launched, but I think they've righted the ship and have learned from their early mistakes
PSN: M̶1̶G̶O̶m̶i̶g̶s̶ | XBox Live: M1GO
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4693 posts
1220 upvotes
Toronto
Dpack22 wrote:
If they can pull off a 4k 60fps machine and price it reasonably they will own this generation.
Wishful thinking. Takes a $1000 build to get 4K 30fps from AAA games consistently
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4370 posts
1158 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 11:36 am
I agree, the Phil Spencer days of the Xbox One have been great so far... and I hope they don't lose their focus like they did when the Xbox One initially launched, but I think they've righted the ship and have learned from their early mistakes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 11:46 am
Wishful thinking. Takes a $1000 build to get 4K 30fps from AAA games consistently
MS needs to sell the console at a loss. No other way around it. Rumour has a likely price point of $399USD
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1609 posts
100 upvotes
Montr
Dpack22 wrote:
Strange you can type that sentence without remembering the ps3. I personally have quite fond memories of the device.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4693 posts
1220 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 12:44 pm
MS needs to sell the console at a loss. No other way around it. Rumour has a likely price point of $399USD
If it is that price then it's probably going to be more or less the same as the PS4 Pro with upscaled not native 4K and 30fps
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel