• Jun 20th, 2017 6:58 am
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3021 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
signore wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 2:05 pm
I think we can all agree that launching a year after PS4 Pro will make this a much better and optimized console.

Microsoft will learn from the mistake of Xbox One launch, and will not release a console at $500 USD. Because of that, expectations on hardware should be slightly tempered a bit although everything we're hearing is pretty encouraging. Might finally buy a 4K TV.
Also, by that time, I'm guessing we'll see some pretty good deals on PS4 Pro to put pressure on MS, so for those looking to upgrade, late this year will be good either way
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1205 posts
490 upvotes
Hamilton
signore wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 2:05 pm
I think we can all agree that launching a year after PS4 Pro will make this a much better and optimized console.

Microsoft will learn from the mistake of Xbox One launch, and will not release a console at $500 USD. Because of that, expectations on hardware should be slightly tempered a bit although everything we're hearing is pretty encouraging. Might finally buy a 4K TV.
I'm in the same boat as you. The Scorpio is going to cost a lot more than the cost of the console lol.
Spidey wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 10:59 am
You're 26, and your mom still buys your toilet paper.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14256 posts
1013 upvotes
Vr is the cats meow right now and for the foreseeable future. I think the rumours point to gta6 being a Vr game if so desired. That's going to be sick.
Feb 9, 2014
935 posts
2057 upvotes
Toronto
The PS4 Pro is good enough for the majority of people who want more power (actually the OG PS4 was the best you can get in the console space until the Pro released). You can have super duper specs on whatever console you release, but it doesn't mean jack if there aren't any games, or games worth playing on it. Right now, Microsoft's XBOX One lineup is very weak and unexciting. They're cancelling games and studios left and right. What's the Scorpio good for if there aren't any worthwhile exclusive games to play on it? Why buy it when you can play pretty much all of its games on PC?

IMO, sadly the only game that's worthwhile for the XBOX One currently is Sunset Overdrive, and that released years ago, yet Microsoft hasn't announced or released a sequel, shame. I will also never forgive Microsoft for shutting down Lionhead Studios, Fable was my favorite franchise on XBOX, a game that was worth buying an XBOX for.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5772 posts
690 upvotes
Grimsby
I feel like Microsoft made the right decision by killing off some of their first party/partner efforts though. Scalebound they should've just soldiered on but the rest? Meh. Fable as a franchise has been stagnating since the second entry. Quantum Break was just above average and probably has no long term potential. Project Spark was a good idea that management interfered heavily with and tried to monetize to the point of absurdity. Sunset Overdrive is worth revisiting, solid gameplay with an obnoxious story that had no real mass market appeal. They can fix that one up pretty easily. There's also a lot of old Xbox 360 era franchises that could be reinvigorated or re-imagined.

They need to refocus on first party efforts and that meant cleaning house first. The problem is that it leaves them in a weird position now where they need to invest long term but somehow survive the next 2-3 years until those games can come to market. They also need to keep up the variety, it's not good enough to be the "bro" box anymore with the same old entries. Franchise fatigue will eventually set in and you need new IP.

What I would like to see from Microsoft:

- a new RPG franchise, potential partners would be Bioware or CDPR
- An adventure franchise, something light with co-op
- an entirely new shooter with some new ideas
- Some new party games for VR/AR stuff
- Grab a major sports franchise again and lock it up for exclusivity
- XBLA program should be properly resurrected, biggest mistake they made this gen and one that flew under the radar compared to "TV TV TV!" and so on.
- Fix your damned store, its so bad

Better yet truly re-establish Microsoft Game Studios. Staff it up and make games to push platform efforts on Xbox and Windows. Also no one really cares about Cortana, stop trying to push this so hard everywhere.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4689 posts
592 upvotes
I've been pretty happy with the games that Microsoft has delivered this generation but Im also a very big fan of Halo and to a lesser extent Gears and Ive spent a ton of time with those games. At the same time I also understand why someone would yearn for more from Microsoft studios.

I think the importance of "exclusives" has really diminished this generation as 90% of the library on PS4/XB1 is the same and these publishers are only really dropping 5 or 6 games a year. I own both consoles but honestly if I had to get rid of one Id have enough great games to play I probably wouldnt feel like im missing out on too much.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4567 posts
1376 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 10:18 am
I feel like Microsoft made the right decision by killing off some of their first party/partner efforts though. Scalebound they should've just soldiered on but the rest? Meh. Fable as a franchise has been stagnating since the second entry. Quantum Break was just above average and probably has no long term potential. Project Spark was a good idea that management interfered heavily with and tried to monetize to the point of absurdity. Sunset Overdrive is worth revisiting, solid gameplay with an obnoxious story that had no real mass market appeal. They can fix that one up pretty easily. There's also a lot of old Xbox 360 era franchises that could be reinvigorated or re-imagined.

They need to refocus on first party efforts and that meant cleaning house first. The problem is that it leaves them in a weird position now where they need to invest long term but somehow survive the next 2-3 years until those games can come to market. They also need to keep up the variety, it's not good enough to be the "bro" box anymore with the same old entries. Franchise fatigue will eventually set in and you need new IP.

- XBLA program should be properly resurrected, biggest mistake they made this gen and one that flew under the radar compared to "TV TV TV!" and so on.

Better yet truly re-establish Microsoft Game Studios. Staff it up and make games to push platform efforts on Xbox and Windows. Also no one really cares about Cortana, stop trying to push this so hard everywhere.
Given the popularity in North America, a baseball game would be ideal.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3021 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 11:11 am
Given the popularity in North America, a baseball game would be ideal.
But the PS4 already has The Show, and it seems like baseball fans have gravitated there already. Unless there was another franchise that could topple that behemoth, it might be an uphill battle.

What about racing? They already have Forza and Forza Horizon, and their track record (get it?) for putting out racing titles has been more consistent than Sony's. If I were MS, I would lean heavily into acquiring other racing games... heck, resurrect Burnout and grab some hardcore racing sim franchise too so you can provide a wide range of those products for hardcore and casual.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4567 posts
1376 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 11:49 am
But the PS4 already has The Show, and it seems like baseball fans have gravitated there already. Unless there was another franchise that could topple that behemoth, it might be an uphill battle.

What about racing? They already have Forza and Forza Horizon, and their track record (get it?) for putting out racing titles has been more consistent than Sony's. If I were MS, I would lean heavily into acquiring other racing games... heck, resurrect Burnout and grab some hardcore racing sim franchise too so you can provide a wide range of those products for hardcore and casual.
I don't think Xbox needs a game that is better than The Show, just one that is good enough. The MLB 2K series comes to mind, but I think it was cancelled partly due to licensing issues/costs.

I bought my PS4 to play The Show, but if there was a half-decent option on the Xbox, I would have likely not purchased a PS4 (I effectively paid $450 (game + system + PSN) to play a single game).

Given that the Forza series already has a strong following and has been well reviewed, I would just continue those titles especially since MS has Forza and Horizon to cater to both genres.
Feb 9, 2014
935 posts
2057 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 10:27 am
I think the importance of "exclusives" has really diminished this generation as 90% of the library on PS4/XB1 is the same and these publishers are only really dropping 5 or 6 games a year.
More like 60%. But go on.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3021 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 10:18 am

At this point, are there even "Xbox" exclusives anymore? With MS going the way of Play Anywhere, I can see them focus on Xbox as a platform for game distribution, and not just a single console moving forward. And I think MS is totally fine with that, if it means them getting a piece of the console gaming pie while keeping PC gamers at least partly in their ecosystem.

It feels like they're quietly purging a lot of their exclusives outside of their core Forza/Halo/Gears offerings. Fable's gone, we haven't heard much about Crackdown, Scalebound was an ambitious project that didn't really have an audience on the XBox, Recore seemed half-assed, and what I would consider the closest thing to their XBLA offerings in Below and Cuphead have been in indie development for like 3-4 years now. MS also can't compete with Japanese exclusives, as those companies are already heavily involved with Sony or MS.

They seem to be grasping for exclusives by buying up timed exclusivity (Inside, RotTR, Dead Rising 4) but I don't actually know if that is working out for them. I don't know if they even have the install base to compel a publisher to give exclusivity rights for a sports franchise, unless it's a defunct or struggling one and MS ponies up a ton of $. I would love to see Skate 4 released sometime though...

I will say that their online offerings are impressive thanks to the addition of backwards compatibility, and EA Access is a nice addition. But that's just a side offering, and not something that moves console sales.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1384 posts
310 upvotes
The 'value' of platform exclusives has really diminished this gen. PS4 has comfortably been #1 despite the fact that Uncharted 4 is their only mainstream system seller... and it came out in a non-peak period.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4689 posts
592 upvotes
signore wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 4:34 pm
The 'value' of platform exclusives has really diminished this gen. PS4 has comfortably been #1 despite the fact that Uncharted 4 is their only mainstream system seller... and it came out in a non-peak period.
Well Microsoft almost solely try's to put out "mainstream system sellers" like Halo or Gears Sony produces a lot more risky, niche titles with and they have a much larger Japenese presence and as a result they definitely have a more diverse set of exclusives.

Well I prefer the XB1 exclusives -Im a huge Halo guy and Microsoft just better online experiences- I can totally see why someone would prefer Sonys output and look at Microsofts exclusives with disdain.

But I agree, at least me personally Id say a good 80-90% of the titles I play are on both platforms but Ive also sunk more time in Halo 5 & Titanfall then I have any other game this generation.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4567 posts
1376 upvotes
First Scorpio VR game announced?

Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3021 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote: