• Mar 14th, 2017 4:28 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2842 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
signore wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 2:24 pm
It's must be a tough decision at Microsoft HQ right now in terms of finding the right balance for price/power.

They're in a position to blow PS4 Pro out of the water in specs, but that may be at the expense of a 500-550 USD price point... which really cut into initial consumer buy in. E3 2013 was a disaster, but the $100 difference between PS4/Xbox One at launch was just as damaging.

I just can't see it being more than $400/450 USD, which hopefully doesn't limit its potential too much.
I can see them being ok with ratcheting up the price of the Scorpio, and then lowering the Xbox One S price, so that they offer a lower cost and an "elite" version of their ecosystem. I mean, this is a company that released a $150 controller... so a $500-$600 console is not out of the question.
PSN: M̶1̶G̶O̶m̶i̶g̶s̶ | XBox Live: M1GO
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4361 posts
1154 upvotes
signore wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 2:24 pm
It's must be a tough decision at Microsoft HQ right now in terms of finding the right balance for price/power.

They're in a position to blow PS4 Pro out of the water in specs, but that may be at the expense of a 500-550 USD price point... which really cut into initial consumer buy in. E3 2013 was a disaster, but the $100 difference between PS4/Xbox One at launch was just as damaging.

I just can't see it being more than $400/450 USD, which hopefully doesn't limit its potential too much.
M1GOmigs wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 2:56 pm
I can see them being ok with ratcheting up the price of the Scorpio, and then lowering the Xbox One S price, so that they offer a lower cost and an "elite" version of their ecosystem. I mean, this is a company that released a $150 controller... so a $500-$600 console is not out of the question.
MS needs to come in at a lower price point. They should sell at a loss (I think they can afford it). $399USD seems like the right price and it's crucial MS get it right. Since it's a part of the Xbox family, new purchasers may just buy an Xbox One S since it's cheaper. I think a majority of the initial Scorpio buyers will be upgraders so MS isn't actually gaining any users. or profit from additional game sales.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1376 posts
307 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 2:56 pm
Xbox One S debuted at $300 USD, so I can't imagine Scorpio will be higher than $450 USD. This is essentially a new console (vs. mostly cosmetics and optimizations of the S)... and MSFT won't be settling for second place again. Despite all the momentum of the PS4, the Pro launch was super underwhelming and the opportunity is here to stake a claim a truly 'next-gen' console. I just can't seem them pricing themselves out of mass appeal... especially when the GBP/EU conversion would be so ridiculous.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel