PC & Video Games

Official Xbox One X Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2018 12:10 pm

Poll: So you're purchasing an "X". Which category do you fall into?

• Total votes: 76. You have voted on this poll.
You are replacing your Xbox One/S with an X

55%
You are supplementing your Xbox One/S with an X

16%
You did not have a Xbox One/S prior to purchasing an X

29%
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
Andrew765 wrote: Phil Spencer has specifically said: If you don't own a 4K TV, don't buy a Scorpio.
Phil Spencer later corrected himself when he said that and based on what we learned today there will be a lot of reasons to buy this if you own a 1080P TV especially if you are coming from an OG XB1 which has historically played a lot of the big games at 720p/900p.

Im actually still totally content with 900p, I like the crisper resolutions but Im not sure its all that noticable above 1080p so Im not sure if the upgrade will be entirely worth it for me but if I can fetch a decent price in a trade in for my day one xbox one I'll jump in for sure as there is a lot of performance upgrades across the board.

EDIT: Also as I said in the other thread I bet this comes in at 400-450$USD, Microsoft has been incredibly aggressive with their pricing since losing the lead to PS4 early on. I think part of the intent with dropping these specs now was to set the expectations really low on pricing now then drop a 399USD at E3 in order to get people excited. It could be wishful thinking on my part however as anything more then 500$ CAD and Im probably out.
Last edited by SpicYMchaggis on Apr 6th, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
Next-gen XBox and PS would be around 2019-2020 I would guess.
I doubt either company would have this console generation stretch beyond 7-8 years like last generation systems (PS3 and XBox 360).

Historically, it has been a 4 or 5 year cycle between console generations.

The Canadian dollar is still weak (74 cents) so I would guess the Scorpio would be at least $600 Canadian at launch since it also has the 4K Blu-ray drive.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
XFactor11 wrote: Next-gen XBox and PS would be around 2019-2020 I would guess.
I doubt either company would have this console generation stretch beyond 7-8 years like last generation systems (PS3 and XBox 360).

Historically, it has been a 4 or 5 year cycle between console generations.
I personally think they are just going to keep iterating on these consoles and then slowly phasing out the old consoles. Ignoring Nintendo, I think the days of tradtional console launchs are over (ie. cutting off the existing userbase, developing a new OS, new controllers, etc.). It just doesn't make sense anymore to do that given how scale-able these games/consoles are.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I'm with the other posters. I upgraded the ps4 to ps4 pro even though I only have a 1080p tv. I'm enjoying the higher framerate on older games, and I even thought the graphics looked a bit better on the recent horizon zero dawn.

I had a 360 and a Ps3 last gen, I only had an XBOX in the gen before that. MS needs to win me back with some games. Some Action/Adventure/Medieval RPG games. Their own version of franchises like Horizon Zero Dawn, inFamous, God of War, Uncharted, last of us.. etc... Sony has been really killing it with exclusives since about half way through the last gen. I haven't run into a single yet that made me feel like I needed to by an a xbox one. I'll buy a scorpio of they put out something decent, but I've been getting by with just a ps4 for a while now.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
I own a PS4 and an XB1 S. Going to get a Scorpio as soon as it's available. Specs look pretty slick. Will have to check out game franchises much more closely in future to see if they take advantage of the new hardware. As far as current games, I don't play things like JRPGs or racing games, so that lets me off the hook for a lot of PS4 titles. Still looking at shooters but the specs on games like Destiny 2 are so low that even my 5 year old Asus i5 laptop will be able to play that game. I'm hoping Bungie does something to up the spec for the additional power in the Scorpio. Gaming on the 4K looks great vs. 1080p. Looking forward to native 4K 60Hz HDR Pro enabled games in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
From Eurogamer:
"How it compares to gaming PCs. With the PS Pro 4, Sony is able to achieve roughly the same performance as the “Radeon RX 470 or an underclocked RX 480.” But with Scorpio, “true 4K performance could pose a challenge to the likes of Nvidia’s GTX 1070 and AMD’s Fury X-class hardware.” This is a much beefier machine, in other words. “This is a seriously good result for a console.”"

GTX1070's are 550+$.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
2095 posts
992 upvotes
YYC
I will likely pick one one. I hope MS store has a trade in deal. I upgraded to the One S so that value would be higher when it comes time.

I wonder when it will launch? It could possibly come in Sept with Forza.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7848 posts
9211 upvotes
Vancouver
The specs look outstanding and I'm perfectly fine with a launch price US$499-$599. This should be a CA$600-700 console given it's meant to topple the PS4 Pro.

Canada is a such a small market and I don't expect Microsoft to localize the price just because our dollar is weak. Nor would it be practical because it would result in grey market Scorpios sold to Americans.
Dec 21, 2014
280 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver
inocent wrote: I will likely pick one one. I hope MS store has a trade in deal. I upgraded to the One S so that value would be higher when it comes time.

How much do you think they'd offer for a 500gb xbox one S? I don't know if I should just sell mine privately or just trade it in. Bonus of selling privately would be that I can put the full purchase on my credit card and get the extended warranty through it. I don't think you get that perk if the purchase is subsidized/ partially covered by a trade in
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2015
5405 posts
5751 upvotes
Distance: 50 Metres
Scorpio is going the way of ps3... 4k bluray drive, expensive price point, not much games supporting it yet...
To the moon
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12727 upvotes
Toronto
Redsanta wrote: Scorpio is going the way of ps3... 4k bluray drive, expensive price point, not much games supporting it yet...
Specs were just announced yesterday! We don't know the price. I though all games will look/play better on Scorpio?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1173 posts
351 upvotes
I don't care about system wars. All I care about is what the system can do for me and my interests. I left Xbox from x360 to PS4 because of Microsoft's failed vision for the original XB1. Left PS4 for XB1 S because I'm an Xbox guy and just really missed that experience. So for me, being an Xbox guy who is deeply invested in it, yesterday was very impressive. I don't care what anyone says, the system looks great. All that's left is price and what type of trade in promo's we'll see in Canada. I really want a Scorpio but I'm not going to get too carried away with it. Mostly because I've been thrilled with my XB1S. If the price is reasonable, and if I can get a fair trade in value for my 1S, I'll happily pick it up. Either way, the system looks pretty cool.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12727 upvotes
Toronto
inocent wrote: I will likely pick one one. I hope MS store has a trade in deal. I upgraded to the One S so that value would be higher when it comes time.

Same here...I'm sure EBGames will have a promo too. Otherwise I'm hoping Shoppers will carry it and have a 20x pts bonus the same day.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
Redsanta wrote: Scorpio is going the way of ps3... 4k bluray drive, expensive price point, not much games supporting it yet...
Not true at all. PS3 was a nightmare to develop for because of the cell architecture. Xbox Scorpio is built with the developers in mind with DX12 built right into the silicone. For the first time this gen Xbox finally has the hardware advantage again at least for the next 2 years. Let's see what they can do with it.

The amount of engineering that went into the Scorpio from a nerd stand point is amazing. By going with Jaguar instead of the newer Zen/Ryzen means they can get the parts for much cheaper even though the Jaguar part is a heavily customized part. People were convinced that the PS4 Pro was going to come in at $499 but it released at $399. 4GB of extra GDDR5 is roughly $30 extra cost, and UHD Blu-Ray drive has been pegged at $15 extra, and then you got Vapor Cooling system. There is also some extra cost to the APU as well, the higher performant hard drive and the Hovis method.

Digital Foundry seems to believe it'll come in at around $499 simply due to the advanced hardware while Jez Corden of WindowsCentral who leaked the reveal of the xbox scorpio reveal and tends to be pretty accurate seems to think it will come in at $399, USD of course. It all depends on how aggressive MS wants to be. We saw MS take a $125 loss on the Xbox 360 totalling 4 billion dollars over the first four years in order to establish market dominance and it worked out for them so anything is possible.

Also reports are putting the Xbox Scorpio at roughly the same size as the Xbox One S.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2015
5405 posts
5751 upvotes
Distance: 50 Metres
Bryson wrote:
Not true at all. PS3 was a nightmare to develop for because of the cell architecture. Xbox Scorpio is built with the developers in mind with DX12 built right into the silicone. For the first time this gen Xbox finally has the hardware advantage again at least for the next 2 years. Let's see what they can do with it.

The amount of engineering that went into the Scorpio from a nerd stand point is amazing. By going with Jaguar instead of the newer Zen/Ryzen means they can get the parts for much cheaper even though the Jaguar part is a heavily customized part. People were convinced that the PS4 Pro was going to come in at $499 but it released at $399. 4GB of extra GDDR5 is roughly $30 extra cost, and UHD Blu-Ray drive has been pegged at $15 extra, and then you got Vapor Cooling system. There is also some extra cost to the APU as well, the higher performant hard drive and the Hovis method.

Digital Foundry seems to believe it'll come in at around $499 simply due to the advanced hardware while Jez Corden of WindowsCentral who leaked the reveal of the xbox scorpio reveal and tends to be pretty accurate seems to think it will come in at $399, USD of course. It all depends on how aggressive MS wants to be. We saw MS take a $125 loss on the Xbox 360 totalling 4 billion dollars over the first four years in order to establish market dominance and it worked out for them so anything is possible.

Also reports are putting the Xbox Scorpio at roughly the same size as the Xbox One S.
If Scorpio comes in at 399 USD, Sony would have to price cut ps4 pro to 299 and maybe ps4 standard 199!!!
To the moon
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3651 posts
1429 upvotes
BC
Digital foundries latest video titled Scorpio vs PS4 pro has put the CPU bottleneck for non dx12 engine games in to the light.

One example is ffxv, which unless ported to dx12 will not be able to hit 60 fps due to the CPU bottleneck. PS4 pro has the same issue and more graphics compute power will not solve it.

This will be probably be an issue for almost all current to older titles. Some first party titles may already be on dx12 engines or get patched, but most 3rd parties probably can't be hassled to, i.e. Battlefield is dx12, but would probably need a patch. Hoping for Halo/Gears/Forza to get the improvements.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
Digital Foundry says Microsoft was very confident in their hardware which is why they went to
Digital Foundry directly before the Scorpio specs eventually would have leaked to the public:

Projections are that 60+% of TVs sold this year will be 4K models. Predictions are next year 4K should be around 80% of all TVs sold.

Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1885 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: Digital Foundry says Microsoft was very confident in their hardware which is why they went to
Digital Foundry directly before the Scorpio specs eventually would have leaked to the public:

Projections are that 60+% of TVs sold this year will be 4K models. Predictions are next year 4K should be around 80% of all TVs sold.

I bought a 4k last month for less money than I bought my 1080p tv in 2014, so I feel pretty confident in those projections lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1600 posts
1610 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Seems like it will likely cost about the same as a GTX1080, and have similar performance

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)