• Jun 20th, 2017 6:58 am
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3037 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto
signore wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 2:24 pm
It's must be a tough decision at Microsoft HQ right now in terms of finding the right balance for price/power.

They're in a position to blow PS4 Pro out of the water in specs, but that may be at the expense of a 500-550 USD price point... which really cut into initial consumer buy in. E3 2013 was a disaster, but the $100 difference between PS4/Xbox One at launch was just as damaging.

I just can't see it being more than $400/450 USD, which hopefully doesn't limit its potential too much.
I can see them being ok with ratcheting up the price of the Scorpio, and then lowering the Xbox One S price, so that they offer a lower cost and an "elite" version of their ecosystem. I mean, this is a company that released a $150 controller... so a $500-$600 console is not out of the question.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4568 posts
1378 upvotes
signore wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 2:24 pm
It's must be a tough decision at Microsoft HQ right now in terms of finding the right balance for price/power.

They're in a position to blow PS4 Pro out of the water in specs, but that may be at the expense of a 500-550 USD price point... which really cut into initial consumer buy in. E3 2013 was a disaster, but the $100 difference between PS4/Xbox One at launch was just as damaging.

I just can't see it being more than $400/450 USD, which hopefully doesn't limit its potential too much.
M1GOmigs wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 2:56 pm
I can see them being ok with ratcheting up the price of the Scorpio, and then lowering the Xbox One S price, so that they offer a lower cost and an "elite" version of their ecosystem. I mean, this is a company that released a $150 controller... so a $500-$600 console is not out of the question.
MS needs to come in at a lower price point. They should sell at a loss (I think they can afford it). $399USD seems like the right price and it's crucial MS get it right. Since it's a part of the Xbox family, new purchasers may just buy an Xbox One S since it's cheaper. I think a majority of the initial Scorpio buyers will be upgraders so MS isn't actually gaining any users. or profit from additional game sales.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1384 posts
310 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 2:56 pm
Xbox One S debuted at $300 USD, so I can't imagine Scorpio will be higher than $450 USD. This is essentially a new console (vs. mostly cosmetics and optimizations of the S)... and MSFT won't be settling for second place again. Despite all the momentum of the PS4, the Pro launch was super underwhelming and the opportunity is here to stake a claim a truly 'next-gen' console. I just can't seem them pricing themselves out of mass appeal... especially when the GBP/EU conversion would be so ridiculous.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4568 posts
1378 upvotes
Official Scorpio Reveal Thursday @ 9AM

Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2015
574 posts
200 upvotes
9394 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 9:16 pm
Official Scorpio Reveal Thursday @ 9AM

Should have been xbox switch with "performance base" like surface book lol
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5774 posts
1208 upvotes
Project Scorpio final Specs revealed by Digital Foundry:

Last edited by XFactor11 on Apr 6th, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4568 posts
1378 upvotes
For the nerds out there:

Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10422 posts
536 upvotes
Thats a huge leap between the Xbox One and Scorprio.

Pro was a decent jump but nothing gigantic. MS might as well announce it as their new console and leave the original X1 behind.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4690 posts
592 upvotes
5 ways scorpio improves your existing XB1 and Xbox 360 games

TDLR
1. Performance - Existing XB1 & Xbox 360 games are going to hit their target framerates for a smoother more consistent experience,
2. Dynamic Scaling - Games with Dynamic Scaling like Halo 5, The Witcher 3 & Doom will likely hit its highest resolution at all times
3. Texture Filtering - 16x antristopic filtering for cleaner textures
4. 4K Game DVR - Game DVR will now capture in 4K resolution
5. Loading Times - Loading times will be massively improved thanks to improved CPU and hard drive bandwith

This doesnt include any games that will be patched to run at 4K after the fact.

The first 2 are probably the same as PS4 Pro's boost mode.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4690 posts
592 upvotes
7 Reasons you'll need Project Scorpio

Some tidbits:
-They were able to port Forza 6's engine over to Project Scorpio in 2 days and have it running at 4K/60FPS with 4K assets using only 65% of the Ram and GPU.
-The system was designed so that every game running at 1080P/900P with XB1 Settings could be ported to native 4K without issue.
-Also Unlike PS4 Pro Microsoft is mandating supersampling so everyone -even people with 1080P TV's- will see the benefit.
- Your games will load faster due to a faster hard drive, faster ram and faster CPU.

This is all sounding like quite a worthwhile upgrade for XB1 owners.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2008 posts
541 upvotes
Wow, very impressive. They've definitely gone all in on optimizing/customizing this system.

I think it was very smart for them to release through Eurogamer/Digital Foundry. They're the only publication that could handle this properly and their reader-base are the only ones who really care about this type of stuff.

I'm too deep into Playstation to even think about a switch ... but wow!
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4960 posts
1442 upvotes
Toronto
I'm intrigued but was hoping they'd show some performance benchmarks and stress tests with more demanding games. Forza 6 is a pretty playing it safe benchmark as it was already one of the better performing 60fps X1 games. I would like to see how it handles Forza Horizon 3 or other open world games that were known to have performance issues on the original X1.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4568 posts
1378 upvotes
Andrew765 wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 11:26 am
Wow, very impressive. They've definitely gone all in on optimizing/customizing this system.

I think it was very smart for them to release through Eurogamer/Digital Foundry. They're the only publication that could handle this properly and their reader-base are the only ones who really care about this type of stuff.

I'm too deep into Playstation to even think about a switch ... but wow!
No need to switch, just supplement. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Sep 12, 2012
663 posts
476 upvotes
Nice specs. The CPU is similar to PS4PRO makes me think the price will be $500. Now all MS needs is games
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4690 posts
592 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 11:43 am
I'm intrigued but was hoping they'd show some performance benchmarks and stress tests with more demanding games. Forza 6 is a pretty playing it safe benchmark as it was already one of the better performing 60fps X1 games. I would like to see how it handles Forza Horizon 3 or other open world games that were known to have performance issues on the original X1.
Forza Horizon 3 was really well optimized for XB1, it ran at a very smooth 30FPS.

I think we'll see a a 4K/30fps patch of that game.