• Nov 23rd, 2009 8:44 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
97 posts
Toronto

Oh boy, here I go spending too much money again

I've been using my trusty XT for the last few years and haven't bought a camera since, but I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a 5d2. I haven't paid attention to pricing patterns at all, and so I'm wondering if there are traditionally price fluctuations closer to the christmas season for gear of this calibre.

Would it be worthwhile to wait 2 or 3 more weeks to see how prices go or just get it over with and pick it up tomorrow? :twisted:

Judging by the photoprice.ca graphs, it appears prices have bottomed out over the past year unless i'm reading it wrong.

Maybe I'll start by strolling to the shop tomorrow and try to get the scoop on upcoming sales although i probably won't get very far. Only problem is I'll probably end up walking out of the store with an empty bank account and a big smile on my face regardless. :o
12 replies
Oct 29, 2005
969 posts
45 upvotes
Like the Nike commercial says, "Just do it!"
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1566 posts
163 upvotes
Mississauga
2-3 weeks is a short time. I'd say wait, as you never know if some dealer will put it on sale. Cheers.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Get it now, you have 2 weeks at most retailers to return it and buy it again at the lowered price. :D
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
5880 posts
734 upvotes
CSAgent wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2009 11:48 am
Get it now, you have 2 weeks at most retailers to return it and buy it again at the lowered price. :D
sabesh wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2009 8:39 am
2-3 weeks is a short time. I'd say wait, as you never know if some dealer will put it on sale. Cheers.
lz7j wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2009 2:05 am
Like the Nike commercial says, "Just do it!"
Just to make it a debate, I would say wait. It's 2 vs 2 now ;) Just joking..

In all seriousness, there's a rebate from Canon now for $200 (http://adencamera.com/prod-overview.asp ... Category=6), and Canon doesn't like to give discounts too much on their prosumer bodies. My speculation - the price will go back up. Especially when the new firmware that willl enable 24/25p video modes, this will actually be a pretty high demand in the videography market. Canon doesn't have to worry about selling them.

As an alliterative, take a look at the used market. You can save quite a bit any days of the year. If you choose this route - just buy it now, as the used market is irrelevant to the holiday season.

Think about all those pictures and videos you can take with it during the holiday season... ;)
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
cy wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2009 12:43 pm

Think about all those pictures and videos you can take with it during the holiday season... ;)
+1 Think about all the photos and videos you could be taking right NOW instead of waiting 2-3 weeks. :lol:
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
97 posts
Toronto
Thanks for the input, guys. You're all like the little angel and devil on the shoulder here. In any case, as I'm typing this I'm walking to downtown cam. Somebody start taking bets as to whether I pull the trigger or not.
Dec 3, 2003
332 posts
Hi Long!
If you are there now, my money is on you walking out with the 5DmkII!

The guys said you were into photography, just saw you on this forum.

Huy
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
97 posts
Toronto
Quickest $3k spent ever. A little bit of chit chat later, I walk away with a reasonable discount off sticker.

Might be helpful info - according to DT, the markup on it is less than $100. No scoop on future drops tho.

Huy, as in "we both know Evan" Huy? :)

Funny thing now is...gonna reveal to the wife what I got myself for christmas. Maybe I'll take the sticker off my xt and put it on the 5d2 to pass it off. Oh boy. :twisted:
Dec 3, 2003
332 posts
Congrats!
I'll have to come out to a RFD meet-up sometime... you can teach me a few things.

After seeing your self-gift, I hope your wife doesn't go and treat herself to a nice expensive present like mine did!

EDIT: do I win a prize for guessing correctly??!
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
97 posts
Toronto
Haha. I did better. I got her something really nice for her birthday recently. It was all part of my master plan.

Boys and their toys, as they say. Man, this thing is a beast considering what I'm coming from.

Hope to see you at the meets. Some of these guys do some amazing work (Unfortunately, I only remember faces for cy, lz7j and sabesh though), and I learned just from watching them do their thing.

Prize, eh...Can I offer up the bag that the camera came in? :)
Oct 29, 2005
969 posts
45 upvotes
Congrats dude! Now just make sure you shoot make money to compensate your expense... then proceed to a nice lens purchase, then repeat :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
5880 posts
734 upvotes
ldam wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2009 1:17 pm
Thanks for the input, guys. You're all like the little angel and devil on the shoulder here. In any case, as I'm typing this I'm walking to downtown cam. Somebody start taking bets as to whether I pull the trigger or not.
You just got unlucky and all the respondents (Sabesh, lz7j, CS_Agent and me) all have 5D2's LOL.
ldam wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2009 2:41 pm

Hope to see you at the meets. Some of these guys do some amazing work (Unfortunately, I only remember faces for cy, lz7j and sabesh though), and I learned just from watching them do their thing.
Congrats! Welcome to the full frame world. Hope to see you in our next meet ;)

Now, let's save up for the glasses!