Health & Wellness

OHIP - Do they charge for this also now ? Ridiculous ?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2018 9:48 am
[OP]
Banned
Feb 7, 2018
11 posts
2 upvotes

OHIP - Do they charge for this also now ? Ridiculous ?

What kind of BS is this ?

My mom had a slip & fall on an icy side walk not cleared by the city in GTA. This is one of the main roads we are talking about, not even some side street.

So we took her to the hospital.

Its a simple fracture on her hand, not too bad though. Will heal in 5-6 weeks in a cast.

They charged her $ 50 for the cast ? WTH ? Shouldn't that be free & covered by OHIP ? What do we pay taxes for ? Now we have to pay for a cast too ?

They said if you had taken an ambulance here that's another $ 45, we didn't take it as we don't want to misuse an ambulance for minor fractures. Took her there in a cab.

you Even pay Ontario Health Premium ( another tax, labelled as a fee ) , when you file your taxes in addition to regular income tax. What's that for then, if they nickle and dime you even in hospitals, but call it free healthcare.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1570 posts
240 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Where do u think the money will come from to support the OHIP Plus+ program from? yes it comes from other tax revenues. Kathleen Wynne is sneaky, when something is provided by the government for FREE, its too good to be true, nothings ultimately free, they get the revenues from elsewhere. just like the Ontario Drive Clean, the tests are now free, but did u see the re-test fees? they skyrocketed them and put more restrictions which will cost u more in the end.
Hi
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2015
3559 posts
26757 upvotes
What kind of cast did she receive- you would have to pay for a fiberglass cast (allow her to get it wet).

At the end of five to six weeks, she may need to have a splint. This too she will have to pay for.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3990 posts
832 upvotes
Sask.
Hope your mom heals well and quickly.
I'm in SK, son recently broke his ankle/leg (not a clean break, he had to have surgery and had hardware put in), no charge for the cast but he had to pay for crutches.

I needed an ambulance last fall, cost was $325 (private insurance covered some). So I guess, it balances out... somehow.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1570 posts
240 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
here the ambulance fee is also $45 in most cases and private insurance will cover the bill if you have coverage, if not, it's a decent price to pay, cus the actual cost to dispatch an ambulance to get you and transport to the hospital is much more than the $45 they bill you but the government subsidizes some of it
Hi
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1570 posts
240 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
here the ambulance fee is also $45 in most cases and private insurance will cover the bill if you have coverage, if not, it's a decent price to pay, cus the actual cost to dispatch an ambulance to get you and transport to the hospital is much more than the $45 they bill you but the government subsidizes some of it
Hi
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1111 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
OHIP only covers natural illness. I am sorry your mother fell and injured herself. It sound like her fall was not too severe.

You will have to pay for medicine too, if she wants pain killers like advil
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5134 posts
483 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 9:26 pm
OHIP only covers natural illness. I am sorry your mother fell and injured herself. It sound like her fall was not too severe.

You will have to pay for medicine too, if she wants pain killers like advil
False. An illness being 'natural' (what does that even mean?) isn't even what determines what OHIP covers.

Ambulance coverage:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/p ... p/amb.aspx

You can read more about our 'free' healthcare system here:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/ohip/sob/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7642 posts
1002 upvotes
Toronto
Many Doctors offices already charge for doctors notes.
Last doctor I went o at a walk in and subsequently got a doctors note whipped out a whole binder of things they can potentially charge for with their prices.
They had several tiers of notes at varying prices as well.
So doctors can get creative too at the expense of the ignorance of patients.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1353 posts
292 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 10:32 am
Many Doctors offices already charge for doctors notes.
Last doctor I went o at a walk in and subsequently got a doctors note whipped out a whole binder of things they can potentially charge for with their prices.
They had several tiers of notes at varying prices as well.
So doctors can get creative too at the expense of the ignorance of patients.
This is not a new thing. Family doctors are allowed to charge "block fees" annually for services such as sick notes, faxed refills, etc. that the ministry doesn't pay for.

Since the walk-in clinic hasn't charged you a block fee, they have to charge you for the sick note. This is not a service that's reimbursable by ohip.
Aug 12, 2018
1 posts
That is unreal the city of Sudbury should get the bill if there is witnesses and Seniors should not have to pay for medical expenses they deserve and have been threw enough in their life they EARNED that...
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2015
1310 posts
466 upvotes
North York, ON
Medical supplies are not covered by OHIP in the clinic. You need to pay for these uninsured services. But not knowing if you need to pay it in hospital.