• Mar 15th, 2017 6:10 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 28, 2008
11 posts
97 upvotes

OHS @ Ryerson (2yr fast track program)

Hey everyone, im kind of new here, and i wanted to get more info on the Public Health and Safety (2 yr fast track) program at Ryerson. I'm graduating from UTSC with a BSc in psychology, and i applied for the 2 yr program at Ryerson. I just need to finish the stupid supplementary form which is due by march 2nd. Those wondering why im doing another bachelors- it is because my marks aren't good enough for masters. I also decided that i want to work in the public health industry (health inspection to be exact),but I know that having only a degree in psychology wouldn't cut it. So basically, i wasted 4 years and money at UofT...

Anyway, is anyone here applying for the same program? Also, those who may have taken the 2yr fast track, can you tell me what marks (GPA or %) you got in with? The Ryerson site only shows high school marks, but for the 2 yr fast track, they only look at university marks. The uni mark averages that they look for are not shown anywhere. So i don't even know if they look at cumulative GPA or last year GPA. When i called in, the people don't seem to know what they're talking about either. They said it should be mid 70s, which to me sounds like BS, because that is average for high school graduates (not to mention mid 70s from Uni is cut off for most masters programs and this is only a BSc program).
Any info is much appreciated :-0 .
12 replies
Nov 27, 2004
68 posts
When I applied about 6 years ago, I got in with an average (from UofT) in the mid 60s. However, I hear that the program has gotten more popular over the recent years so it might be more competitive to get in now.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2008
11 posts
97 upvotes
Thanks for the tip. Btw, if you don't mind me asking, are you now working in the public health industry? And if so, you know how the job prospects are? Because i have heard people say that it is hard to get into the field just because of the limited job opportunities available for government jobs (relative to the private sector jobs).
Nov 27, 2004
68 posts
Yes, I'm working in the public sector. Due to the current state of the economy, many health units are not creating new positions and some vacant positions are being left unfilled. When I graduated, there were many more openings because at the time there were many people retiring. That doesn't seem to be the case now. It's not a good time to be looking for a job in this field, or any field really. However, I assume you won't be looking for a job until 2 yrs from now, so hopefully there will be more opportunities then. Good luck.

Have a look at this website http://jobs.ciphi.ca/. It will give you an idea of the government jobs that are available for inspectors now. As you can see, not many openings in Ontario and the ones that are available are either in more remote locations or contract jobs.
Sep 26, 2004
56 posts
I graduated from UTSC (health studies/biology) and applied to the 2-year public health program. The program is very science based. If you can't get any transfer credits, you are looking at taking 7-8 a term. I will be graduating in april and will be starting my training at a health unit. The good thing about this program is that its the only one in Ontario. Alot of health units come each year to recruit students for summer jobs and work placement. Even thou you have to complete this program to be a health inspector, it also prepares you to work in hospitals (infection control) or for large food chains. If you have any other questions, just PM.
May 25, 2009
392 posts
1 upvote
So are you guys all going int Ryerson's Occupational and Public health this fall 09?
Sep 26, 2004
56 posts
Wow. Can't believe the last time I responded to this post was in 2009. I have had a couple of people message me about the program and profession recently. I'm currently a certified public health inspector working for Hamilton Public Health. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Jul 23, 2008
2 posts
toronto
Hi d-wing. I know this is quite an old thread. I'm thinking about going into Ryerson's Public/ Occupational Health. I am not able to send a PM.

I guess I have the same questions as most have.

Do you enjoy your work?

What are some of the positives and negatives of your Ryerson education?

How were the job prospects when you graduated? If you were to guess now, have have they changed?

Thanks!
Jul 2, 2016
2 posts
Hi, its good to know you have made it good!
I had some question regarding the program. I have already pursued a 4 years B.Sc degree from Mac and am looking towards this accelerated program at Ryerson as a way to both boost my academic average for professional schools and as a way to build a career in public health (a simple Honours BSc doesn't give you a job unfortunately). How did you find the program in terms of course load, Difficulty and prospects after the program?

Any information would greatly help me make an informative decision

Thank you very much
Jul 25, 2008
202 posts
91 upvotes
intrem wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2016 5:13 am
Hi, its good to know you have made it good!
I had some question regarding the program. I have already pursued a 4 years B.Sc degree from Mac and am looking towards this accelerated program at Ryerson as a way to both boost my academic average for professional schools and as a way to build a career in public health (a simple Honours BSc doesn't give you a job unfortunately). How did you find the program in terms of course load, Difficulty and prospects after the program?

Any information would greatly help me make an informative decision

Thank you very much
Also wondering the same! I'm in the same boat, completed a 4 years honours BSc.
Jul 23, 2008
2 posts
toronto
I'm interested in the fast-track occupational health and safety. I'm coming from a non-science background.

I need to take two introductory chemistry courses to qualify. I'd like to avoid paying hundreds of dollars seeing as these are just prerequisite courses.

Has anyone else come from a non-science background? If so, which courses did you take to satisfy the requirement?

I've seen traditional online courses, as well as open courses offered from some American universities like Yale, Cal, MIT, etc.

Thanks
Mar 14, 2017
2 posts
d_wing wrote:
Apr 9th, 2009 4:24 am
I graduated from UTSC (health studies/biology) and applied to the 2-year public health program. The program is very science based. If you can't get any transfer credits, you are looking at taking 7-8 a term. I will be graduating in april and will be starting my training at a health unit. The good thing about this program is that its the only one in Ontario. Alot of health units come each year to recruit students for summer jobs and work placement. Even thou you have to complete this program to be a health inspector, it also prepares you to work in hospitals (infection control) or for large food chains. If you have any other questions, just PM.
How difficult were the courses and especially how difficult is it taking 7 courses a semester in the public health program? Also according to the website every course in the program has a 3 hour lecture, is this true? How big are the classes and is it interactive? Or just sit and take notes in silence? Its so hard to find information about this program I would be grateful to you for your reply. Is there anything in particular you found to be the most challenging? Any extra insight would also be greatly appreciated.
May 17, 2017
2 posts
HI bruh 123 ,did u get any information about the program? I recently got accepted into the program and I am also looking for some info about the program.
please let me know if u have any information.
thanks