• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2018 9:09 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 26, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote

Oil analysis

Has anyone had the blackstone oil analysis done? Did it tell you anything useful?

Thanks.
21 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24947 posts
11238 upvotes
Ottawa
I haven't, but members in another forum that I frequent, has sent theirs for analysis.
Basically, you'll get a detailed report and can decide on whether you need a more frequent oil change or can extend it for a longer period.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20725 posts
2293 upvotes
Montreal
dm1111 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 2:06 pm
Has anyone had the blackstone oil analysis done? Did it tell you anything useful?

Thanks.
I tried. Canada post gave me **** about needing a dangerous materials permit for mailing flammable liquids. Gave up.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15345 posts
5617 upvotes
dm1111 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks.
A single sample is not useful for an average driver.

For many people you would need to have a baseline sample, then have samples afterwards to see what is happening. This would potentially allow you to sample various oils to determine which work best for you and to see what sort of interval you can have.

Or, like most people, you can just change your oil according to the manufacturers recommendation. Heck, with the money you save from not doing the oil analysis you could upgrade to synthetic for every change (if your manufacturer is only recommending conventional oil).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9112 posts
7925 upvotes
Oakville
I get my oil analysis done at WearCheck in Burlington. I'm close enough to drop them off in person.
https://wearcheck.com/

1-800-268-2131
Toll free, 8am to 4:30pm [EST], Mon-Fri
C8-1175 Appleby Line, Burlington, ON L7L 5H9
Oct 30, 2012
958 posts
261 upvotes
Hamilton
engineered wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 3:27 pm
I get my oil analysis done at WearCheck in Burlington. I'm close enough to drop them off in person.
https://wearcheck.com/

1-800-268-2131
Toll free, 8am to 4:30pm [EST], Mon-Fri
C8-1175 Appleby Line, Burlington, ON L7L 5H9
What's the price per analysis? Was thinking about doing iy
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31772 posts
6348 upvotes
Ottawa
puska83 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 4:37 pm
More than an oil change :)
I have been involved with oil analysis for decades. I was in the aviation business nd we did spectrometric oil analysis for decades. We generally do not do oil changes (generally because they are closed systems synthetic lubricants were developed for aviation jet engines). The key was to establish a baseline and check for changes to that baseline. It includes looking for particles to determine wear as well as for additive deterioration. It was found that additive deterioration was so small that adding as little as 1/2 litre would almost restore it to normal.
The key reason for changing oil is not because of oil deterioration but because of dirt form combustion and ingestion. The filter is only effective so long before it even loads up and becomes ineffective. The most damage to your engine comes from recirculation of dirty oil, not lack of additives.
If you wish to do analysis, by all means go ahead but understand that you will not get any benefit until you have a minimum of 3 samples to establish a baseline. Then, each time you add any oil, it must be noted because that affects the analysis. If you change a filter, it also affects the results of the analysis and you need to have a very established baseline to understand the changes as a result of the oil and filter changes.
Bottom line is, for a normal everyday vehicle it is a waste of money...my opinion only.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9112 posts
7925 upvotes
Oakville
puska83 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 4:37 pm
Here are the prices from last time I bought (a few years ago). I buy the 12 pack and usually share a few with friends.
Individual cost is $35
Pack of 12 is $276, so $23 each.

As Pete said, it's most useful for trending the health of the oil/engine based on a baseline you've established.
However, you can compare the results to other owners of the same engine/car to get a rough idea. It can also tell you if you have excessive coolant/fuel/metal in your oil.
You can also compare your used oil to new oil from that vendor, to see if you need to change oil sooner or can run a longer interval.

Here's what the report looks like. If you keep sending in results, they will trend your values in charts.
[OP]
May 26, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote
engineered wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 7:07 pm

it's most useful for trending the health of the oil/engine based on a baseline you've established.
However, you can compare the results to other owners of the same engine/car to get a rough idea. It can also tell you if you have excessive coolant/fuel/metal in your oil.
You can also compare your used oil to new oil from that vendor, to see if you need to change oil sooner or can run a longer interval.
I am going to get it done just to see if things look normal, not interested in extending the drain interval.
I don't really understand why you need a baseline reading. If I tell them the mileage and type of oil, that nothing has been added, can't they determine if anything is abnormal? I would think they should know what good and bad readings are without a baseline.

Thank you for your detailed post.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9112 posts
7925 upvotes
Oakville
Having a baseline will give you an idea if something is starting to go wrong. Without that, you may only know about big problems you already have.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12693 posts
1502 upvotes
Toronto
Or you can go with manufacturer recommendations.
Oct 30, 2012
958 posts
261 upvotes
Hamilton
Thanks @Pete_Coach and @engineered for information I've seen on Mazda forum people doing it and thought its not a big cost to pay for peace of mind. Especially since I bought car used and want to know if there's some nasty surpise coming my way.

Will see to ask some friends to split the cost of the package.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31772 posts
6348 upvotes
Ottawa
puska83 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 12:51 am
Thanks @Pete_Coach and @engineered for information I've seen on Mazda forum people doing it and thought its not a big cost to pay for peace of mind. Especially since I bought car used and want to know if there's some nasty surpise coming my way.

Will see to ask some friends to split the cost of the package.
As you can see in the post from engineered, there is information on the oil sample. The key is, what does it mean? While the company states "The condition of the oil is acceptably for the time in service" there are several items that over "baseline". Also, the sample was only 5000 kms of usage which is probably lower than the OEM recommended interval (may not be, dependent on vehicle). Does this mean the oil should be changed? Does that mean there is a potential problem?
Will the owner change the oil and start all over (without knowing if the increases will continue and possibly accumulate if oil is not changed)?
While this only cost $35, the real question is, what have you really learned? Is it normal and now you feel better. Will this information prevent anything catastrophic from happening? Will you change oil to eliminate any information previously gathered? (and the next sample be the same as the first because the accumulation is the information that you need).
In aviation it is an extremely useful as we kept all the data between engine overhauls. We rarely, if ever, changed the oil and it was monitored constantly, depending on the engine but up to 12,000 flight hours. We monitored the wear primarily because we can tell by the types of particles what was wearing and would remove a component based on high particle count. (we also disassembled filters and checked them for larger particles).
My overall point is that I am a firm believer that oil analysis for the average vehicle is a complete waste of money.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
[OP]
May 26, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote
I received my test results and it was high on AL and SI. The comments were they suspect that dirt was ingested and has caused abnormal wear. The analysis was an option to a pre purchase inspection. It did not cost much, so I did not mind paying for it, it just took some extra time.

This was going to be a second family car, but my mechanic advised me not to purchase it, so I did not.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31772 posts
6348 upvotes
Ottawa
dm1111 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 7:31 pm
I received my test results and it was high on AL and SI. The comments were they suspect that dirt was ingested and has caused abnormal wear. The analysis was an option to a pre purchase inspection. It did not cost much, so I did not mind paying for it, it just took some extra time.

This was going to be a second family car, but my mechanic advised me not to purchase it, so I did not.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.
Dirt is constantly ingested into an engine. That is why oil turns black. Finding silicon in the oil is common.
As for finding trace aluminum, well, that too is common as aluminum is often in crank bearings and they are a wear item. You will get more sluff from a bearing if the oil is not regularly changed and the amounts can vary but most importantly, taking an oil sample for the first time on a XX year old engine is likely to produce deceptive readings.
So, if the oil sample was the sole reason, you may have passed on a good car because of poor or misunderstood information. If your mechanic was the reason not to buy then it was wise to listen to him, as long as the oil analysis was not the only reason.