• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2018 9:09 pm
Tags:
May 28, 2016
127 posts
16 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 8:18 am
As you can see in the post from engineered, there is information on the oil sample. The key is, what does it mean? While the company states "The condition of the oil is acceptably for the time in service" there are several items that over "baseline". Also, the sample was only 5000 kms of usage which is probably lower than the OEM recommended interval (may not be, dependent on vehicle). Does this mean the oil should be changed? Does that mean there is a potential problem?
Will the owner change the oil and start all over (without knowing if the increases will continue and possibly accumulate if oil is not changed)?
While this only cost $35, the real question is, what have you really learned? Is it normal and now you feel better. Will this information prevent anything catastrophic from happening? Will you change oil to eliminate any information previously gathered? (and the next sample be the same as the first because the accumulation is the information that you need).
In aviation it is an extremely useful as we kept all the data between engine overhauls. We rarely, if ever, changed the oil and it was monitored constantly, depending on the engine but up to 12,000 flight hours. We monitored the wear primarily because we can tell by the types of particles what was wearing and would remove a component based on high particle count. (we also disassembled filters and checked them for larger particles).
My overall point is that I am a firm believer that oil analysis for the average vehicle is a complete waste of money.
As @engineered said, compare it with other cars of the same milleage. For example, Blackstone Labs compare with other vehicles of the same year and engine so not having your own personal baseline shouldn't be an issue as other users have created the baseline for you. And Blackstone includes some averages for every unit.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31772 posts
6348 upvotes
Ottawa
Baseline is your car, not ten, twenty or one hundred others. What problems other car hav may not be anything your car has...or has not. Not all Honda CRV,s have a fuel dilution problem but my car does. How would using a baseline of all CRV,s be helpful for my car?
The oil in your car is what you are analyzing and tryouts no t establish if it is getting worse or better, not in comparison to others. Your car could be having issues and by comparing I to others that are not is deceiving you into thinking you are aOK.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9097 posts
7906 upvotes
Oakville
Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:10 am
Baseline is your car, not ten, twenty or one hundred others. What problems other car hav may not be anything your car has...or has not. Not all Honda CRV,s have a fuel dilution problem but my car does. How would using a baseline of all CRV,s be helpful for my car?
The oil in your car is what you are analyzing and tryouts no t establish if it is getting worse or better, not in comparison to others. Your car could be having issues and by comparing I to others that are not is deceiving you into thinking you are aOK.
Well, it certainly would tell you that you have a fuel dilution problem compared to others.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31772 posts
6348 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 2:52 pm
Well, it certainly would tell you that you have a fuel dilution problem compared to others.
The point is, and you as an engineer must know this, that comparing yours to mine proves nothing
about how my engine is deteriorating or not. This is not a case of misery loves company, this is all about your engine and how it is wearing and leaving particles in the lubricant.
As for telling me that there is fuel in my oil, well, a simple sniff test is sufficient and no need to spend the money, mail it away and wait for results.
Lastly, comparison to others really does not say anything about my engine that helps my engine. My baseline is what is important and it is wiped out each time I do an oil change.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Dec 26th, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9097 posts
7906 upvotes
Oakville
Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 4:54 pm
The point is, and you as an engineer must know this, that comparing yours to mine provs now Hong
about how my engine is deteriorating or not.mthis is not a case of misery loves company, this is all about your engine and how it is wearin and leaving particles in the lubricant.
As for telling me that there is fuel in my oil, well, a simple sniff test is sufficient and no need to spend the money, mail it away and wait for results.
Lastly, comparison to others really does not say anything about my engine that helps my engine. My baseline net is what is important and it is wiped out each time I do an oil change.
Spiked the eggnog? lol. Merry xmas :)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31772 posts
6348 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 7:31 pm
Spiked the eggnog? lol. Merry xmas :)
Not at all, why? I’m sittin in Maui with a Mai Tai.Grinning Face🏖Tropical Drink
Merry Christmas you Christmas Tree
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9097 posts
7906 upvotes
Oakville
Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 8:37 pm
Not at all, why? I’m sittin in Maui with a Mai Tai.Grinning Face🏖Tropical Drink
Merry Christmas you Christmas Tree
Previous post looks like a drunk post. Too many Mai Tai then :)