Automotive

which Oil filter can last to 15000 Miles?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2011 9:35 pm
Tags:
None
50 replies
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
42 upvotes
Practically any filter off the shelf, IMHO.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3357 posts
309 upvotes
Actually to me filter is more important than oil. I wouldn't leave the filter in for more than 10k miles. Oil can't keep it's cleaning power if the filter is dirty and not doing it's job. Some even advise replacing filter twice with each synthetic oil change.
FS : DSL Modem, Promise NS4300N NAS, Nokia 7710, PM Me
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15412 posts
799 upvotes
Woodbridge
+1 I don't understand the mentality, spend the extra money of Synthetic but cheap out on the Oil Filter?

Curious, why do you want the oil to last 15k. You don't believe in changing every 5k/8k, lazy or don't have the time?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
Feb 20th, 2010 11:04 am
Actually to me filter is more important than oil. I wouldn't leave the filter in for more than 10k miles. Oil can't keep it's cleaning power if the filter is dirty and not doing it's job. Some even advise replacing filter twice with each synthetic oil change.
Exactly correct.
The filter is there to trap suspended particles if something goes awry. A filter is only good if it is filtering. A filter can clog up in 100 kms. We do not have a bypass sensor on our engine filtering systems so you really would not know if it was clogged or not.
So, the answer to your question "which Oil filter can last to 15000 Miles?" is, any filter can last that long and more. But, when it is clogged, it is useless. If your OEM indicates you should change your oil and filter every 5K kms, then you should at least attempt to change the filter at the recommended intervals, just to make sure you don't begin to recirculate the crud.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2674 posts
260 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Feb 20th, 2010 12:18 pm
+1 I don't understand the mentality, spend the extra money of Synthetic but cheap out on the Oil Filter?

Curious, why do you want the oil to last 15k. You don't believe in changing every 5k/8k, lazy or don't have the time?
because modern synthetics can easily last 15k if not more. it's a big hassle to change a filter outside of full oil changes, so i understand OP's point
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
scouzer wrote:
Feb 20th, 2010 2:07 pm
because modern synthetics can easily last 15k if not more. it's a big hassle to change a filter outside of full oil changes, so i understand OP's point
But do you understand the purpose and reason for an oil filter? You do know what a filter is like after only 5K kms? Do you think you can leave it in for 3 times as much?
Jul 13, 2006
887 posts
20 upvotes
If you are inclined to run 15,000km OCI's, that's up to you, and I wouldn't recommend it. 10K km max, IMO, on most north american cars. However, if you want a long-lasting filter relative to others, the Bosch filters w/ Filtech media are very very good filters and are actually considerably cheaper than the Mobil-1 or K&N's. Bosch filters w/ Filtech (the black filter w/ red lettering) have tested very highly in the recent past -- I'd recommend them to anyone, bus especially someone looking to run longer than normal OCI's if they are so inclined.
Jul 13, 2006
887 posts
20 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 20th, 2010 2:14 pm
But do you understand the purpose and reason for an oil filter? You do know what a filter is like after only 5K kms? Do you think you can leave it in for 3 times as much?
I agree with you, however, in my Acura TSX manual it specifically states that for both Normal AND Severe conditions, to change the filter every SECOND oil change. This is in the Honda/Acura manual, so it was decided by the engineers that this was adequate.

On an normal 16,000km oil change interval, they expect a Honda-OE filter to last 32,000km. I don't mind replacing the filter every oil change, though, as even the better Bosch ones are only $5 and its cheap peace-of-mind.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
curls00 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2010 2:20 pm
I agree with you, however, in my Acura TSX manual it specifically states that for both Normal AND Severe conditions, to change the filter every SECOND oil change. This is in the Honda/Acura manual, so it was decided by the engineers that this was adequate.

On an normal 16,000km oil change interval, they expect a Honda-OE filter to last 32,000km. I don't mind replacing the filter every oil change, though, as even the better Bosch ones are only $5 and its cheap peace-of-mind.
There ya go. The OEM has engineered this filter and lubricating system to accomplish this. No qualms.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5002 posts
528 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
dealcatcher wrote:
Feb 20th, 2010 7:30 am
which Oil filter can last to 15000 Miles with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30?

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mot ... 5W-30.aspx
I don't see any information recommending 15,000 miles between changes on the Mobil site.

My VW handbook recommends 15,000 kilometers between changes with a specific Castrol oil.
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
42 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Feb 20th, 2010 12:18 pm

Why spend crazy amounts of money on a filter, when a cheap one will do just fine?

One thing's for sure -- there's a real lack of good quantitative test data out there, and on the whole subject of filter changes, the entire debate is surrounded by dogma, and statements that aren't supported by any particular set of facts. For instance, just go onto that "bobistheoilguy.com" website, and you can read pages and pages of people saying that one particular (orange) brand of filters is bad, but they haven't even a shred of quantitative test data -- only (often mis-informed) information about the manufacturing process used by that particular manufacturer.

curls, my owners manual on an "American" car says 15k miles (2 7500 mi oil changes) on a half-sized filter, so on a full-sized filter, 30k is within the manual's specification. But I have no evidence that this recommendation is appropriate for that car. I run ~50k oil change intervals on synthetic, so the filter gets changed along with the oil. Engine was dissassembled to repair a cooling system fault (completely unrelated to the oil!), and there was no excess wear or sludge -- so obviously the interval is appropriate.

Pete_Coach's comments are an excellent example of dogma. Does he have any evidence that a filter is in bad shape after 5k miles? Of course not. And if a failure is catastrophic enough to 'plug' a filter after 100 miles -- certainly there is no filter that would be able to keep on chugging.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11385 posts
2081 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to sound off topic, but why would you be interested in a 15,000 mile oil filter? Such extreme performance compared to a typical filter even if available would have to cost a lot more. The potential savings is minuscule relative to the overall cost of running a car. I would much prefer to get a 300,000 mile car. Does anyone know of cars guaranteed to last that much.
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
42 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2010 8:12 pm
Sorry to sound off topic, but why would you be interested in a 15,000 mile oil filter? Such extreme performance compared to a typical filter even if available would have to cost a lot more. The potential savings is minuscule relative to the overall cost of running a car. I would much prefer to get a 300,000 mile car. Does anyone know of cars guaranteed to last that much.
Ummm, basically any engine sold today, or in the past 20 years, properly maintained, has little or no difficulty running out to 300k.

Cars get in accidents, their interiors fall apart, their bodies rust out, their mass/spring/damper assemblies need expensive replacement, or their electronics become annoyingly defective, typically, before the engine experiences actual mechanial failure.

Go take donuts down to your local engine rebuilder sometime and have a chat about how many modern fuel-injected car motors they rebuild. The number is virtually zero. Chances are, your local rebuilder will staffed by a bunch of old dudes in their 50s/early 60s, and their business will not have grown such as to need any younger blood in decades.

I'm of the view that people either grossly overmaintain their cars' engines, or they negligently undermaintain them. There isn't much in terms of a middle ground. And the most damaging aspects of undermaintenance is the use of the wrong oil, or just plain old not keeping enough oil in the car. Improper maintenance methods are problematic as well.
× < >