None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9836 posts
2972 upvotes
Ottawa

Is it OK to *doggy bag* buffet food ?

Folks i got this burning question that I have got conflicting answers from friends and relatives and now I'm turning to the great minds at RFD to settle it once and for all...

Simple question: Is it OK to ask for *doggy bag* at Buffet or AYCE or whatever you call it.

I assume everyone knows what *doggy bag* means, putting leftover food after a meal in brown bags to bring home. I do it all the time at restaurants, especially Chinese ones but haven't done it at buffets. Reason is quite straightforward: I'm usually stuffed full so i didn't think it's necessary. But i mean it would be nice if it's OK to do that, in case you got hungry later on for supper!

So what do you think ? Is it tacky to ask for doggy bags at buffet (Say you finish your rounds but continue to pile things up on the plate and then ask for a bag) or is it acceptable since you already pay for the price of AYCE :)

Let me hear your takes on this.
[removed]
53 replies
Aug 23, 2003
754 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
no

it's all you can eat not all you can fit in your car...
Dec 26, 2005
104 posts
Markham,ON
My personal opinion is that it would not be considered ok to doggy bag at a buffet because I think it would be abused.

The concept is to be able to eat as much as you an in that sitting, usually people get full therefore can't eat anymore, if you were able to doggy bag then what would stop someone from filling up there plate beyong full and then ask for a doggy bag.

So therefore I think it would be improper to do so, but if it were allowed wouldn't it be great. :)
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
2206 posts
1 upvote
the buffet/AYCE will not allow you to bring home a doggy bag.
However, if you are willing to PAY EXTRA for your leftovers, then yes, you can bring them home.

if you are bold, you can sneak food into a container or plastic bag when the waitress is not looking.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9836 posts
2972 upvotes
Ottawa
keanefan wrote:the buffet/AYCE will not allow you to bring home a doggy bag.
However, if you are willing to PAY EXTRA for your leftovers, then yes, you can bring them home.

if you are bold, you can sneak food into a container or plastic bag when the waitress is not looking.
That's what my impression is as well. Like I said i am usually stuffed full at the end so I don't even bother asking or thinking about that but I could understand for people who are like students or on a budget or whatever and looking to go the extra mile.

Does this apply to all buffets ? Chinese, Italians, Japanese etc ?
[removed]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2005
1367 posts
My family owns a chinese restaurant. We don't allow doggy bags for buffet food :)
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2002
1680 posts
1 upvote
no doggy bags. why do some people seem to ask questions like can I sample groccery store food and such. Anyone think about this before they posted?

One exceptio nis the ridiculously expensive buffets where they let you take desert or something out. I'm taling like $25+ for breakfast, $50 brunch type deals at hotels
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9836 posts
2972 upvotes
Ottawa
eliteblaze wrote:no doggy bags. why do some people seem to ask questions like can I sample groccery store food and such. Anyone think about this before they posted?

One exceptio nis the ridiculously expensive buffets where they let you take desert or something out. I'm taling like $25+ for breakfast, $50 brunch type deals at hotels
Why not ask these types of questions ? I'm sure i'm not the only one who wonders. Like i said, i have never done it but there are people who wish to know, myself included. How can you read everyone's minds ? If you have something constructive to say then please go ahead.
[removed]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
Well,

I have seen a local chinese restaurant where i live advetise that you can buy a container of their lunch buffet for 7 or 10? dollars and fill it up as much as you want once!
I am assuming that is pretty rare...

I've also been to a few local restaurants where after I was done my meal I took my leftovers home- but it was just at a regular sit doen restaurant- not buffet.
but the funny thing was the person working there added extra items to my meal for free!
I guess if u r a regular it helps also...... :cheesygri :lol:
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Dec 7, 2004
522 posts
3 upvotes
Steeve Urkel wrote:Well,

I have seen a local chinese restaurant where i live advetise that you can buy a container of their lunch buffet for 7 or 10? dollars and fill it up as much as you want once!
I am assuming that is pretty rare...
No its not rare
Steeve Urkel wrote: I've also been to a few local restaurants where after I was done my meal I took my leftovers home- but it was just at a regular sit doen restaurant- not buffet.
Why would you even post something so stupid?
Jul 7, 2005
685 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
wow this has got to be one of the cheapest ideas ever. lol of course you can't "doggy bag" buffet food. wow
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6786 posts
1149 upvotes
Toronto
i vomit into a bag at the buffet and take the vomit home as tommorows lunch.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2733 posts
134 upvotes
Peterborough
How gauche ... :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2003
4466 posts
4 upvotes
Canabiz your on fire lately.

First eating a plum at a supermarket and now doggy bag at a buffet??? :confused:
Why are hurricanes named after women? When they come they are wet and wild but when they leave they take your house AND your car.
Banned
Apr 25, 2005
3425 posts
3 upvotes
So what do you bring your own tupperware or do you ask them for take out boxes? The restaurants definately don't let you doggy bag stuff unless you pay for it.