Home & Garden

Is it ok to live in a condo unit that's next to the elevator?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2015 5:28 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
You're not asking the right questions. First of all, does the elevator making a loud beeping noise once the door opens? When you press a button to close the door or select an elevator floor, will you hear a beep noise? Putting sound proofing around the door frame will only help a bit - believe me on that.

That, and the amount of talking by people waiting for elevators is equally as damaging to your rest as any elevator noise you might hear. I can say for the 10 year old building Im in, im located in a unit that is beside a unit by the elevator and I do occasionally hear the elevator even though my unit isn't right beside it.

I expect for newer buildings it is even more of a problem.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
474 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
It's not ok to live in condos. If there is not one thing to bother you, there will be another.

It's only a good life for people that like to sit and watch TV (with headphones) and eat pasta with no sauce.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
Like already said, go in there during quiet time and have someone else run the elevator, see how much you can hear. I'd be more worried about people chatting, dragging stuff into/out of elevator, so it's very much people dependent.

But you are only renting so it's not a big commitment, if it's bad you can get out fairly quickly.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2241 posts
447 upvotes
what the F are you people doing when you're getting in and out of an elevator, or while waiting?

do you always announce your coming and going, and do a loud song and dance while you wait?

also. gas coming through the walls. really. are you also worried about wifi signals giving you the cancer??
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
CRSAutomotiveOakville wrote: Better don't do that. Just imagine in middle of the night how will sound that elevator..
Exactly the same as it sounds in the daytime... ;)
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2014
1015 posts
227 upvotes
Unionville, ON
c_snapper wrote: what the F are you people doing when you're getting in and out of an elevator, or while waiting?

do you always announce your coming and going, and do a loud song and dance while you wait?
For some reason people are always in groups of at least 2, so they always talk while waiting for the elevator. If it's just a single person then he probably won't talk and you won't hear anything.

I lived across from an elevator once, the elevator itself is not loud. There was a ding noise every time the door opened, but it was barely audible. The doors opening/closing was not loud enough to hear from inside my condo. I would still never live near an elevator because of annoying people talking while waiting for it. Also, don't live near a garbage chute because people always slam those things loudly, not to mention the smell. Condos suck.
Pentium 1 166 Mhz | 32 Mb Edo Ram | Seagate 1.4 Gb Ide Hard disk | 3dFX Voodoo1 Pci Video Card | 250W PSU | SoundBlaster Pro sound card | 14" SVGA Monitor
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OilyBob wrote: For some reason people are always in groups of at least 2, so they always talk while waiting for the elevator. If it's just a single person then he probably won't talk and you won't hear anything.

I lived across from an elevator once, the elevator itself is not loud. There was a ding noise every time the door opened, but it was barely audible. The doors opening/closing was not loud enough to hear from inside my condo. I would still never live near an elevator because of annoying people talking while waiting for it. Also, don't live near a garbage chute because people always slam those things loudly, not to mention the smell. Condos suck.
sounds like you lived in a poorly maintained condo if you can smell the garbage chute or you are able to slam the chute door...
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3866 upvotes
Nowhere
How sensitive are you to noise? Personally, I wouldn't but I tend to hear everything.
Jan 3, 2015
28 posts
Mississauga, ON
The reason that I mentioned the gas from the shaft is that when I was living in a townhouse, I can always smell the food smell from my next door neighbor.
It was winter time with all windows closed, so I guess it's came through the walls.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9333 posts
5628 upvotes
I lived in a condo across from the elevator for 7 years. I never heard noise from the elevator (doors, dings or otherwise). As others have mentioned you can occasionally hear muffled speaking through the door, but this would be true for any condo if people are walking down a hall speaking. It never really bothered me.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
I live beside the elevator shaft in a 10 year old building.

I don't hear it at all.
Mar 5, 2015
157 posts
18 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Tornado F2 wrote: If you're lucky.

In some locations it can actually be louder.
That's true. You will never know what kind of neighbors can be there.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)