Personal Finance

Is it ok to use my lost debit card number again?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2013 12:53 am
Tags:
None
Feb 22, 2013
240 posts
42 upvotes

Is it ok to use my lost debit card number again?

My bank sent me a replacement debit card to replace the existing expiring debit card. After some weeks, I did not receive this debit card and I called the bank's 1800 number. The bank said since I did not receive the debit card and there was no return delivery for the debit card, the card was considered lost. The bank said it would not cancel that debit card because I would be left without a debit card if the bank cancels it. Instead, the bank said I should go to the branch and get a new ready-for-use debit card which has a different card number. Then the branch can cancel the old debit card number and let me use the new debit card which as a different card number.

When I got to the branch, the bank teller tells me that she could order a replacement debit card which would then have the existing debit card number. I got the impression from my phone call with the bank's 1800 number that I should get a new card number. But the idea of using back the existing debit card number is appealing because I have that existing card number memorized in my head. I'm unsure if it is risky to use back the existing card number. That card number is considered lost and may have been compromised.

Should I get a new card number or should I re-use my existing card number which was lost? Safe in re-using the existing card number?
1 reply
May 3, 2013
760 posts
475 upvotes
Toronto
Depends how you use that number. Chances are you will get a card with the exact same number and the card # in a corner. I'm with RBC, and I've got many cards from them, each one with an incremental number on bottom right.