Shopping Discussion

Is it okay to buy a Television from MDG Computers? Or is MDG a scam?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2016 8:33 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 19, 2012
9 posts

Is it okay to buy a Television from MDG Computers? Or is MDG a scam?

http://www.mdg.ca/finance/tvs.aspx?PID=

It looks like MDG has good deals on TV's but do you end up paying more?

There are also other posts like this on other forums but they are all old like this one.

http://forums.ilounge.com/lounge/197088 ... m-you.html

Would it be worth buying a TV from MDG? So there is a Fee on top of it isn't there, would you end up paying more for the TV then its real price?
52 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2495 posts
83 upvotes
please do not fall into their trap. buy the TV elsewhere. please. for the sake of all humanity. let this company die.
Jan 21, 2007
243 posts
30 upvotes
Laval
You can't even see the full price of the TV...Sure you may be paying $0.49 per day (~$15/month) but they don't tell you how long you have to pay them for. Add on their interest starting at 9.8% and you'll be paying well over the retail price of the TV by the end.
Mar 25, 2011
708 posts
30 upvotes
Guelph
mysticalinfluence wrote:
Jan 20th, 2012 10:09 am
Everything MDG is a scam.

how? interest is a scam? are credit card companies scamming us too bec. they charge interest?

anyhow, my cousin bought a desktop from them a long time ago and paid in full. computer lasted for a long time.
[OP]
Jan 19, 2012
9 posts
O1IN85 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2012 10:23 am
how? interest is a scam? are credit card companies scamming us too bec. they charge interest?

anyhow, my cousin bought a desktop from them a long time ago and paid in full. computer lasted for a long time.

So did I, it was a semi good computer but I will admit my Dell 5150 lasted a lot longer then that piece of junk, well it did have Windows ME so thats probably why it did not last long. But MDG does not offer "paid in full" anymore and it seems to be on this pay 1-2$ a day scam thing now.
[OP]
Jan 19, 2012
9 posts
So I should not buy a TV from then right? I will just end up paying more money then I should for it right?
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
O1IN85 wrote:

No, what they let you to think you buy is not what you really get is a scam.
Charging you $1000 for a $300 worth of computer is a scam.
Giving you used part and making you think you are buying new is a scam.

Check various MDG threads in this forum.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
ImperatorBellus55 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2012 12:58 pm
So I should not buy a TV from then right? I will just end up paying more money then I should for it right?

How much do you think you will pay MDG for that TV?
How much do you think you will pay if you buy that TV elsewhere?
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
[OP]
Jan 19, 2012
9 posts
So MDG does not tell you how long you have to pay ? They must, Im sure most people would ask.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
ImperatorBellus55 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2012 1:18 pm
So MDG does not tell you how long you have to pay ? They must, Im sure most people would ask.

So, do you know how long?
Penalty Box
Jul 28, 2010
627 posts
33 upvotes
O1IN85 wrote:

by the sound of it neither you nor your cousin know much about computers. computers outlive their usefulness, they don't break down. the fact that your cousin used it for that length of time is a consequence of the components that it came with (could have been bought for cheaper), which just means he overpaid that much more for a "premium" MDG computer. interest on a $500-1000 computer that makes it a $1000-3000 computer is a scam because it preys on the ignorance of consumers, like your cousin, who do not know much about computers.

who abbreviates because as "bec."?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7715 posts
820 upvotes
I checked OP's link, selected one of the TV's at random and it took me to an "Online Credit Application" page where you fill out your personal information. One of the first thing it asks you for is your Social Insurance Number. That should immediately set off a very loud alarm in your head.

There are really very few instances in which the average person should give their SIN number to someone else, and this is certainly not one of them. Credit checks can easily be done with someone's credit card number or even a driver's license number, there's really no reason they should be asking for your SIN number.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6166 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
O1IN85 wrote:

All I can say to this post is :facepalm: :facepalm: . I suggest you keep buying MDG also tell your cousin he can find good deals from Nigeria on Kijiji,Craiglist.
× < >