• Mar 18th, 2011 10:40 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto

Okay, Let's Talk About DOMAIN NAMES

I guess it's time to start a dedicated thread about domain names, be it CNO (.com, .net, .org) or .CA. A quick search shows that there are at least a few dozen posts on this topic (with the word "domain") in this month alone; but very often, people are getting conflicting or even misleading information, which could well affect their critical business decision.

Since I have been registering domain names since 1997 (no, not earlier), and have helped brokered quite a few high-profiled domains like megacity.com and HKG.NET (and even one for Derek/Clear Sky Media), it may be a good idea to at least offer a room for people to ask and share. Yes, there are more professional forums for domain names (which I either frequent or help moderate), but for industry *outsiders* (who mostly have a couple of domains at the most), perhaps RFD is a better and cozier place to chat.

Now a bit of disclaimer. Even though I am an authorized Tucows reseller, I do NOT provide domain registration service for the public, but mostly use that account for MY OWN domain names, and to a lesser extent those of my clients who also have other contracts with me.

EDIT: While I'm flattered that so many fellow RFDers actually PM me for questions and ask for my opinion, I would rather prefer everyone to just post in this thread, so more people could learn and benefit from it, and more importantly so others (not just me) would be able to help by sharing their experience as well.
239 replies
Jun 16, 2007
147 posts
Mississauga, Ontario
The good names are pretty much taken, so I guess the current after-market is all about buying low, selling high, amirite?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
4845 posts
139 upvotes
I don't get it... so you want us to talk about it, but you're not going to help us get it?

boo, I want to get a domain.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2006
5141 posts
55 upvotes
Richmond bc
someone give me an lll.com for cheap plz, I need one but they are going for xx,xxx lol
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2004
8598 posts
64013 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Yeah, I agree, all the good domain names have been taken, mostly but zombies websites or crap search websites that is totally unrelated to the website. It's sad, really...

Ju Leon...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2006
5141 posts
55 upvotes
Richmond bc
Yah there are good .pro domains available but I think you need to show proof that your domain matches what you actually do in real life or something like that. There is some good news Microsoft just opened http://xbox.mobi hopefully more companies follow so the extension can get popular.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
RowaH wrote:
Sep 13th, 2008 9:37 pm
The good names are pretty much taken, so I guess the current after-market is all about buying low, selling high, amirite?
Well, let me put it this way: if you are looking for a decent domain name for your website, you shouldn't have much problem getting a matching .COM: for instance, joestailor.com and northyorkbarber.com are readily available.

Of course, if you are talking about premium domains like toronto.com or even torontowhatever.com, most of them were gone 10 years ago. But the truth is, tailor.com is NOT necessarily a better domain than joestailorshop.com for Joe's Tailor Shop.

More importantly, I don't want to talk about domain names ONLY as the "cybersquatters" know them. Personally, I HATE seeing domain names pointing to those so-called "parking pages" with useless advertising links all over them. There is life after ... or beyond buying low and selling high when it comes to domain names, like actually using them for websites.
TruE SkiLLS wrote:
Sep 13th, 2008 11:27 pm
I don't get it... so you want us to talk about it, but you're not going to help us get it?

boo, I want to get a domain.
I'm not sure what you mean by "helping you get" a domain name (or not). If you're thinking of just REGISTERING a domain name, then no, I'm NOT advetising my business here (I don't exactly do "retail" myself); but if you are looking for advice and/or answers for any domain name related issues (from recovering expired domain names to dealing with registrars/resellers), I am more than willing to share my 10 years+ experience here.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
1333 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
teknoluv wrote:
Sep 14th, 2008 6:56 pm
More importantly, I don't want to talk about domain names ONLY as the "cybersquatters" know them. Personally, I HATE seeing domain names pointing to those so-called "parking pages" with useless advertising links all over them. There is life after ... or beyond buying low and selling high when it comes to domain names, like actually using them for websites.
Oh good, my question is perfect then...

I want a few that are currently under Enom and then 1 or 2 that are privatively owned and are just parked. What's the best way to get these domains and what are the costs for this? Also, what do you recommend for WHOIS protection for various TLD's? I'd rather just pay for protection rather than falsify WHOIS info.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6825 posts
523 upvotes
Waterloo
Digital_Domain wrote:
Sep 14th, 2008 7:19 pm
Oh good, my question is perfect then...

I want a few that are currently under Enom and then 1 or 2 that are privatively owned and are just parked. What's the best way to get these domains and what are the costs for this? Also, what do you recommend for WHOIS protection for various TLD's? I'd rather just pay for protection rather than falsify WHOIS info.
hey use name.com they have free whois and i have been with them for years! good domain register!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Digital_Domain wrote:
I want a few that are currently under Enom and then 1 or 2 that are privatively owned and are just parked. What's the best way to get these domains and what are the costs for this?
First off, may I ask what do you mean by "currently under Enom"? Are they undergoing post-drop auction over there?

As for "privately owned" parked domains, the best way is to search (Google) a bit to see if it is (or at least was) up for sale at any venue. This will at least give you some ballpark for making offers. The next step is quite open-ended, because it really depends on the owners themselves. Some domain "investors" don't even respond to enquiries at all (of up to 5 - 6 figures). As a result, your "costs" of getting them could vary a lot.
Digital_Domain wrote:
Also, what do you recommend for WHOIS protection for various TLD's? I'd rather just pay for protection rather than falsify WHOIS info.
Yes, it is actually against your own interest to falsify whois info: you simply risk losing it. For people with a worthwhile portfolio, I would suggest using a business contact if you don't want people knocking at your door, or call you in the middle of the night from the other side of the world.

If you really have to use some kind of whois privacy, make sure you go with a reliable registrar. In the RegisterFly fiasco, those with whois privacy ON underwent A LOT more trouble recovering their names because they have difficulty proving ownership.

Like I said, I am using my OpenSRS reseller account, and they have whois privacy for free. I have tried it out myself and find it okay. Not a big fan of ANY whois privacy myself though, to be honest.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
1333 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
teknoluv wrote:
Sep 15th, 2008 8:35 am
If you really have to use some kind of whois privacy, make sure you go with a reliable registrar. In the RegisterFly fiasco, those with whois privacy ON underwent A LOT more trouble recovering their names because they have difficulty proving ownership.

Like I said, I am using my OpenSRS reseller account, and they have whois privacy for free. I have tried it out myself and find it okay. Not a big fan of ANY whois privacy myself though, to be honest.
Thanks - I'm going to research more about the domain and what I should be looking at for cost. I use whois privacy because it helps protect myself and my clients. Hackers will dig up anything they can in order to by-pass security - social engineering is a greater threat to me than software exploits.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4673 posts
510 upvotes
I was going to get Winnipeg.ca many years ago but didn't want to pay $35/year for it, so I didn't bother :/ Not that it would be worth a great deal, but would be nice to have :P
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
baz5 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2008 11:51 am
I was going to get Winnipeg.ca many years ago but didn't want to pay $35/year for it, so I didn't bother :/ Not that it would be worth a great deal, but would be nice to have :P
winnipeg.ca? I don't think you would EVER have the chance to get it, for $35 or else. May I ask how many years ago was that? Because your memory is probably not serving you right.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4673 posts
510 upvotes
10ish.
Winnipeg is VERY behind on things.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)