PC & Video Games

Old gaming magazines from the 90s, where to get rid of them vs. recycling?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2019 8:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9459 posts
999 upvotes
GTA

Old gaming magazines from the 90s, where to get rid of them vs. recycling?

I have a bunch of old gaming magzines sitting on a book shelf at my mom's old house and it feels like a shame to recycle them. I see that some are sold on Ebay but I don't have the time to deal with it so I am looking to see if maybe anyone on here wants them (located in Oakville, Ontario) or suggests of places that might take them and resell them or keep them.

I just contacted a retro gaming store in Hamilton too in case they want them, kind of fits with their theme...

EDIT to add they are mainly Next Generation magazines but some other random ones too. I haven't compiled a list.
Last edited by YLSF on Aug 7th, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17993 posts
3047 upvotes
Toronto
What are the titles?
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9459 posts
999 upvotes
GTA
Piro21 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2019 1:18 pm
What are the titles?
Edited to add it.. Mainly Next Generation as I had a subscription to that. I don't have a list with the years/issue but I will try to organize them a bit in the next few days if there is any interest.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9330 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
sell it on ebay, theres are collectors out there.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2237 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
Or... if they're still in good condition, keep them and read them? I get a lot of nostalgic feels from pawing through old nerd mags I find, but I can barely find any anymore.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3526 posts
1129 upvotes
Ajax
Next Generation was the off-shoot of the UK version, EDGE. Unfortunately NG did not last too long. Edge is still around and IMO the best read out there.
Jan 22, 2017
313 posts
1165 upvotes
Take a picture of the lot and put it up on Kijiji with best offer.
Barring that take it to a retro game store.
Please do not recycle them.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6139 posts
4797 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I wonder if libraries would take em, and possibly digitize them for online archiving/viewing
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Jan 16, 2009
146 posts
45 upvotes
Ugh... When I moved many years ago, I ended up recycling a ton of old gaming magazines. I think I kept a few somewhere in storage, but the majority, I recycled them. Mostly EGM and Game Pro, and a few random ones... the funny thing is I never had a 16 bit system. I went from the NES straight to the PSX. Don't know why I bought so many EGM's during the 16 bit era.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14185 posts
4323 upvotes
Montreal
aeba7 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2019 3:26 pm
I wonder if libraries would take em, and possibly digitize them for online archiving/viewing
Nah, when libraries get magazines donated, they go in the "Free Bin" for people to grab.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.