• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2012 7:59 am
[OP]
Apr 3, 2011
17 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Old hardwood floor noise cancelling solution for basement tenants

My Basement tenants are complaining about the noise from the hardwood floor on the 1st floor. I've been considering to put down a runner, is there any sort of foam or other material that could go below the runner to decrease the noise from the wood while walking on it?

Any other solutions?

THANK YOU!
4 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2422 posts
772 upvotes
canadianico wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 9:03 pm
My Basement tenants are complaining about the noise from the hardwood floor on the 1st floor. I've been considering to put down a runner, is there any sort of foam or other material that could go below the runner to decrease the noise from the wood while walking on it?

Any other solutions?

THANK YOU!
Is this a duplex? Triplex? Rooming house?

You have some potential fixes. Except there's really nothing you can do to make the place totally soundproof without paying a bundle. And if your basement tenants are sensitive, they may complain (and file against you at the Landlord and Tenant Board for not harming their 'reasonable enjoyment') any way.

What is the tenant profile of your downstairs tenants? What about the people on the main floor? Are they especially noisy? There are other solutions other than paying thousands of dollars in upgrades.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1031 posts
167 upvotes
OTTAWA
Beeg wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2012 10:02 pm
Is this a duplex? Triplex? Rooming house?

You have some potential fixes. Except there's really nothing you can do to make the place totally soundproof without paying a bundle. And if your basement tenants are sensitive, they may complain (and file against you at the Landlord and Tenant Board for not harming their 'reasonable enjoyment') any way.

What is the tenant profile of your downstairs tenants? What about the people on the main floor? Are they especially noisy? There are other solutions other than paying thousands of dollars in upgrades.
I guess OP is residing in a single house or a townhouse. He/She rents the basement to a tenant. Yes, hardwoord floor is quite disturbing to people who reside immediately below. The solutions would be 1) install carpet runners; 2) walk lightly; 3) no children running and playing; or 4) install sound proof membrane on the ceiling of the basement. Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6028 posts
968 upvotes
Mississauga
If true hardwood floors are installed properly there should be no noise generated at any point in time from the wood itself. I'm thinking that maybe the subfloor was not screwed down properly. If it's laminate flooring then that's different, but either way there should be no noise if installed properly. If you're able to gain acess from the basement ceiling are you able to screw down the subfloor from the bottom?
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11109 posts
916 upvotes
Kanata
Is it the noise of your feet walking on the floor, or is it the hardwood/subfloor noise that is the issue? By that, I mean is it normal walking noise or is there some other noise that is bothering them?
× < >