None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4145 posts
354 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…

Old partially functioning iPhone 2G

I have an old iPhone 2G (locked to AT&T) running 3.1.2 lying around. Last I checked, the wifi was intermittently working. I reset it thinking I could trade it in at EB for some amount of credit, but I found out they don't take anything older than a 3Gs.

Now, I don't have an AT&T SIM card to activate the phone. I also tried the previous methods of unlocking the phone via jailbreaking (blackra1n, redsn0w) to no avail...it seems like upon entering DFU mode, the USB disconnects or something, or never reboots after a supposed successful jailbreak.

The other problem is that the back metal shell had been replaced by the previous owner, presumably due to damage, so the IMEIs stored in the phone and engraved on the back shell don't match.

Given the age and condition of the phone, anyone have suggestions on what to do with it? Would Apple give me the option of buying a refurb iPhone, or should I just recycle it?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4719 posts
1789 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Irregardless of what company made it, it's obsolete now. Recycle it, toss it out, sell it to an iCollector or something
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15925 posts
355 upvotes
Keep it. It'll worth something as part of an iCollection in the future.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4718 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
It can still be used as an iPod Touch. I'd say either keep it, give it to someone, or sell it for very cheap.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2354 posts
150 upvotes
Brampton
Should this even be a thread? What would you do with any old cell phone, especially one that has like 4 newer models ahead of it. Doesn't matter if it's an Apple product.
Nov 5, 2009
391 posts
36 upvotes
My 2G froze on me as well. Slide to unlock doesn't work. Truly upsetting as I remember having the phone when people would still say how great their blackberries were and would high five each other over their new Torch phones, while the 2G was superior to the torch yet released years earlier. 2G is simple to jailbreak and unlock, I don't know what issues you have that you can't re jailbreak and re unlock. Is your phone rattling inside, is something broken inside? 2G was slow on data but was surprisingly fast on wifi. Remember this was a 2007 phone!
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2012
1118 posts
204 upvotes
very easy to jailbreak and unlock...
i still use mine as backup phone..
it was dropped so many times but still intact, no scratches... screen has horizontal lines but works fine..
wifi does drop but gets good signal and has amazing battery life..
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4018 posts
254 upvotes
Yup. You can actuall fix this yourself. You have to jb and then hactivate it. Should not be to hard. As others note, it is a min, a touch video player.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
1684 posts
427 upvotes
Burnaby
use as ipod maybe or recycle it. almost worthless.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4018 posts
254 upvotes
Psykopathik wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 1:39 am
use as ipod maybe or recycle it. almost worthless.
Check eBay. No where near worthless. Not worth much, yes, worthless, not a chance.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4145 posts
354 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
mkjr wrote:
Feb 9th, 2013 10:39 pm
Yup. You can actuall fix this yourself. You have to jb and then hactivate it. Should not be to hard. As others note, it is a min, a touch video player.
Yeah, I've been trying to...redsn0w gives me a USB communcation error when attempting DFU mode, and blackra1n tells me that it's jailbroken after reboot, but the phone is stuck on a blank screen.

Anyone know of other tools for jailbreaking for old firmware? (3.1.2)
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4018 posts
254 upvotes
ceraf wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 3:57 pm
Yeah, I've been trying to...redsn0w gives me a USB communcation error when attempting DFU mode, and blackra1n tells me that it's jailbroken after reboot, but the phone is stuck on a blank screen.

Anyone know of other tools for jailbreaking for old firmware? (3.1.2)
as I recall there was an odd thing you had to use redsnow 0.9.6b6 or 0.9.4 and also had to cut and paste these bin files, bl-39 and 46. I have my tools in a folder but no instructions. Also, I recall it had to be run in developer mode and the custom firmware downloaded at the same time. I think the last time I did this was about two years ago.

see this link http://www.kittyra1n.com/jailbreak-and- ... 3.1.3.html

the BL files called bootloaders...might have been an issue since the phones technically need to be hactivated first and then jailbroken

one more thing, i have typically found that a computer running XP tends to not screw up with the JB process since it seems to have less security settings.
× < >