None
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario

Old power supply needed

Hello,

I have a client with an old (15 years or so) IBM Netvista (if I'm not mistaken) The power supply went on it.

So I temperately installed a standard 500watt Coolermaster PSU BUT it does not fit in the psu holding bracket, its to big.

The old PSU was a bit smaller (old standard i guess)
This is the psu needed,
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ASTEC-AA20610-IBM-01 ... 3a5a5e380a

The thing is my client wants a NEW one, he does not want to buy a used or refurbished unit, if I can't find a new one then he will continue to use the one I installed for him until transfers all his programs and such onto the new computer I built for him.

So any ideas where I could pick up a New PSU for this old computer? I can't seem to find a new one anywhere here are the specs on it.

Astec Model AA20610
IBM P/N 01K9883
EC No: E72018C

IBM FRU P/N: 01K9870
Max output 145Watt

Total Power On: 100W Max

A/C Code: 156
Rev: 04
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
101 upvotes
Most 350w or less power supplies should fit in the old slots, but another issue would be that a system that old might not take an ATX power supply (ATX became standard around 1997). If so you would need a plug adapter and a switch adapter to convert the old on/off mechanical switch to a momentary-contact ATX on/off switch. You can get those adapters on eBay.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
It does support a regular atx power plug since i have a coolermaster 500watt psu running in it right now without any issues.

I don't know if a 350W psu would fit since the size of the psu would be the standard size (like the cooler master 500watt one i installed)

The main problem is that the regular psu's we use today are just a little bit to wide so the screw holes don't match up unfortunately
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
126 upvotes
Chatham
Sparkle does make those SFF PSU. Search on newegg, i've seen several of them b4. They're the same size for the Dell or IBM desktop.

BTW, if you're already building him a new computer, can you let him use your PSU for 1 day or 2 to backup his programs and data? Use that money into the new build.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
jetway1212 wrote: Sparkle does make those SFF PSU. Search on newegg, i've seen several of them b4. They're the same size for the Dell or IBM desktop.

BTW, if you're already building him a new computer, can you let him use your PSU for 1 day or 2 to backup his programs and data? Use that money into the new build.
I built him a new i5 system around x-mas and the thing is they use that computer for their business and before they convert over to the new computer they need to go for training on the new system. Since they are very busy with clients and such they have been pushing it back and back i think they want to do it in the Fall actually. But he wanted to get the system built and ready to go just in case the computer blows up at least they won't have to wait for the system to be built and so on.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
don't waste time with this. i was in your shoes half a year ago.
it's not worth spending the $100+ IBM/Lenovo wants on a power supply for an old computer.

just migrate them to a newer computer. if they are running XP, you just need retail CD and it will boot when you repair the OS installation.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6724 posts
69 upvotes
IT guys have all the say when it comes to what you can or cannot do for the client. Just tell him what the reality is. Tell him you've looked around and being a really old computer they no longer make this kind of power supply brand new. So tell him his options are to pay for a new modern power supply and use that in the interim, or go with used. I wouldn't bend over backwards to give clients what they want when I know it's unrealistic. Just present them with realistic solutions and go with that.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Cafe_333 wrote: IT guys have all the say when it comes to what you can or cannot do for the client. Just tell him what the reality is. It's a really old computer and they no longer make this kind of power supply new. So tell him his options are to borrow the coolermaster and backup everything on there, or go with used.
Right at the beginning when I saw the power supply was not going to fit I told them I can try to look for one but since the computer is 15 years old I highly doubt I will be able to find a replacement let alone a new one.

He understands that and just asked me to keep looking just in case i do come across one so like I told him I'm asking around to see if I come across one if I don't then they are happy with the current one as a temp solution until they move to the new system I built them.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6724 posts
69 upvotes
Sounds good :)
It initially sounded like your client was bent on getting a brand new one. If they can live with the interim solution then you'd be off the hook. A modern power supply would probably be even better and more reliable anyway.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1352 posts
846 upvotes
Vaughan
LOL - I just frankensteined a dead P3 IBM NetVista power supply (same model as yours) this afternoon. Is this one of those mini towers with the PS mounted over the CPU? If so, PM me your email address and I will send you a pic of my solution (with a standard ATX power supply). It's a stable 2 screw mount, and it probably improves airflow over the CPU. Took me 5 minutes, and I used a washer I had on the shelf. I hate non-standard cases. Option 2 is to migrate his system guts to an ATX case and PS.

Mic
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
wonder if a ps from a old P1 would do it ?? I got a old P233 sitting here & a athlon 1 ghz in working order I'm trying to decide what to do with ... :P
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Asus Xonar AU | Asus ROG 6600 XT | Corsair RM850X | Fractial Designs Refine R5
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 | SG Firecuda 2 Tb | Win 10 Pro
Heatware 45-0|RFDware 13-0
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12700 posts
15951 upvotes
It is pretty ridiculous to upgrade a 15 year old computer with a new power supply that may cost more than $100. What wrong with an used one?, given the age of the computer which is due for the recycling depot anyway.

My recommendation is to buy a new computer which can be had for $300.
Have a nice day!

Apr 13, 2004
458 posts
438 upvotes
York Region, Ontario
Seeing as the PSU IBM used in this case was non-standard, be lucky that you found used, working units off eBay. You will NOT find one new. A used unit will work fine in this particular instance.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10715 posts
1254 upvotes
Vancouver
Looks like a SFX power supply to me.

Also I found these specs for a NetVista P3/Celeron machine through Google:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... yout=print

Standard SFX power supply with +5V and +3.3V standby power
<< Public Mobile, Zoomer Wireless, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital user >>
FS: 6TB HDD, Pixel 2, Phanteks LP cooler, free stuff
MY HEATWARE
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
Even the ones you buy from IBM/Lenovo may not necessarily be brand new.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
LonesomeDove wrote: It is pretty ridiculous to upgrade a 15 year old computer with a new power supply that may cost more than $100. What wrong with an used one?, given the age of the computer which is due for the recycling depot anyway.

My recommendation is to buy a new computer which can be had for $300.
& my recommendation is for you to read the full thread if you had done that you would know I already built my client a new computer which he will be switching over in the fall.

The client just wants a new PSU if possible, he does not like used or refurb units. its a very important computer which he does not want to risk having it mess up again. My guess is that's the main reason why he does not want a used or refurb unit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)