Old VCR Tapes needs transfer to CD Disc

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 9:06 pm
[OP]
Nov 27, 2010
18 posts
4 upvotes

Old VCR Tapes needs transfer to CD Disc

I have about 18 very old VCR tapes and need to find the place to transfer them to regular CD discs. Does anyone know any place which could do that for me. I have my kids and places we have been and lots of family memories on the tapes. We live in Halton Hills.
Last edited by domptg on Jan 12th, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1546 posts
1415 upvotes
Alberta
I was told by a friend that Costco performs this service.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3173 posts
2398 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
yeah, Costco did mine 7 years ago. They might still do this
shorter of breath and one day closer to death
[OP]
Nov 27, 2010
18 posts
4 upvotes
Which Costco, because not all of them doing it.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1311 posts
250 upvotes
Kitchener
Pretty sure VHS video would go onto a DVD, not a CD.

If you have a working VHS player, can buy a digital convertor on amazon. Note: Can take a lot of CPU power and take a lot of time. Need to play the tape in realtime to record it.

Example: https://www.amazon.ca/Products-Diamond- ... +converter
[OP]
Nov 27, 2010
18 posts
4 upvotes
SomeGuyGG wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:39 pm
Pretty sure VHS video would go onto a DVD, not a CD.

If you have a working VHS player, can buy a digital convertor on amazon. Note: Can take a lot of CPU power and take a lot of time. Need to play the tape in realtime to record it.

Example: https://www.amazon.ca/Products-Diamond- ... +converter
I don't have VHS Player anymore.
Dec 10, 2009
670 posts
1880 upvotes
Van Isle
Lush78 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:35 pm
I was told by a friend that Costco performs this service.
Costco employee must have a great collection of homemade VHS BEDONKADONK!
inappropriate signature
Mar 4, 2007
332 posts
93 upvotes
Kanata
If you still have the VCR, you just need a $15-$20 USB device that records the footage from the composite cable output to your computer. Just search Amazon for “VHS to USB.”

Used to be a hot deal, not anymore...
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1980 posts
1588 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
Op.

Check value village. I have seen recently every week it seems a vhs/DVD unit come in. I think the price is like 7.99 for the unit. You could get that and do the transfers yourself. Mind you with value village you will have to check around your local area and the more often you check the higher the chances of finding stuff.

I can only speak for the GTA area where I have seen that often.
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1311 posts
250 upvotes
Kitchener
domptg wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:40 pm
I don't have VHS Player anymore.
I would get a place like this to do a "Convert to Digital File only"
http://www.softtouchvideo.ca/prices.htm

You can burn the DVD yourself later. Digital files are much easier to organize and find, duplicate and do what you want with. DVD will wear out just like a VHS, gets an error and everything is lost.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2010
18 posts
4 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:44 pm
Op.

Check value village. I have seen recently every week it seems a vhs/DVD unit come in. I think the price is like 7.99 for the unit. You could get that and do the transfers yourself. Mind you with value village you will have to check around your local area and the more often you check the higher the chances of finding stuff.

Sorry , but I'm not in to this and I need someone who can do it for me. Thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1311 posts
250 upvotes
Kitchener
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:44 pm
Op.

If you get an old dusty VHS player, the quality will be atrocious. The player can make a huge difference on the final conversion. Recommend to use a VHS Cleaning deck before recording to digital. It is a long process..
[OP]
Nov 27, 2010
18 posts
4 upvotes
SomeGuyGG wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:50 pm
If you get an old dusty VHS player, the quality will be atrocious. The player can make a huge difference on the final conversion. Recommend to use a VHS Cleaning deck before recording to digital. It is a long process..
Like I mention before I don't have any of VHS Player
Sep 6, 2014
51 posts
22 upvotes
ON
just wait for black friday and hit bestbuy when the vhs players go on sale, problem solved.. youre welcome