[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2324 posts
800 upvotes
Montreal

OLED is getting severely Burn-in by RTING

Week six of the RTINGS burn in test.

That poor LG OLED is now completely gone after less than 700 hours of static logo.

This confirm the theory that CNN, MSNBC, etc, even at a maximum of 2 hours a day will burn your OLED after a year.

This is not a good marketing news for LG.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanen ... n-lcd-oled
4 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3448 posts
271 upvotes
ghosting happens within minutes on my plasma...but goes away after 20-30 seconds

I appreciate this test but not even shops run 20/7...I assume most emissive display owners know how to protect their investments by ensuring auto-off is enabled and to not watch the same channel more than few hours at a time.

I have an OLED monitor and I'm super anal about hiding the task bar, ensuring no desktop icons, cycling the windows often, screen saver and auto-off enabled.

I did notice burn-in from the Android soft-keys after several years on an old Samsung phone...but that was from 2012 when AMOLED was still in infant stages.

of particular importance is that LG's pixel shift is worthless?
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2324 posts
800 upvotes
Montreal
twitchyzero wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:25 pm
ghosting happens within minutes on my plasma...but goes away after 20-30 seconds

I appreciate this test but not even shops run 20/7...I assume most emissive display owners know how to protect their investments by ensuring auto-off is enabled and to not watch the same channel more than few hours at a time.

I have an OLED monitor and I'm super anal about hiding the task bar, ensuring no desktop icons, cycling the windows often, screen saver and auto-off enabled.

I did notice burn-in from the Android soft-keys after several years on an old Samsung phone...but that was from 2012 when AMOLED was still in infant stages.

of particular importance is that LG's pixel shift is worthless?
Well, this test is a cumulative test. Your need to look at the screen on time.

700 hours is quite low for having such massive burn in, especially with the LG marketing crap they said about their TV resistance to burn in.

This test is only a confirmation of what we saw on the OLED owner forum, that news channels will end up burning your TV. Some people even developed burn in on the latest Zelda game. The heart icon were burned.

We knew for a long time that pixels shift is useless.

I'm still totally in love with my OLED. It's amazing. However it's good to keep a paranoia when displaying fixed logo.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14302 posts
864 upvotes
Markham
My previous Samsung galaxy had OLED wear in the navigation bar area

There's no preventing that since it's not image retention, it's actually wear on the OLED pixels

But seems like there's no concern for uneven wear unless the content you watch has static areas
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4182 posts
2524 upvotes
North York
If static goes 700 hours, I wonder how long it goes for average-normal viewing?
How do I downvote this voting system?