• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2010 9:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
2003 posts
201 upvotes
It looks promising. I know built in flash often gives bad results, but no built in flash?! It would be nice to have when there isn't much light. This isn't a 5D MarkII where you would always carry an external flash. Carrying an external flash (even a small one) would negate the small size of the camera. Any compact point and shoot has a built in flash...I'm sure they could have fit one in.

This is a little disappointing about the autofocus if it is the same with the final model. Contrast based autofocus in DSLR's besides the Panasonic G1 is horrible. (2-3 seconds to focus)
For the G1 and GH1 Panasonic developed an incredibly fast new imager AF system and has been praised for getting contrast detect AF speeds up to near those offered by entry-level phase detect focus systems (as used on all SLRs). Unfortunately Panasonic didn't share that technology with Olympus, and the E-P1 uses essentially the same focus system as cameras such as the E-620, meaning that it feels sluggish even compared to most compacts (that said, we're playing with a very early IP (initial production) unit here - without the final firmware - so will reserve judgment until we've got the finished product).
Audio & HT Enthusiast :cheesygri
Bose Secrets: Click HERE! :o
Zoom-Zoom! (MX-5 FTW!) :D
Canon Rebel XSI pics!

Canon 40D pics!
I started using the Mr. Sparkle avatar first! Others stole it from me. :lol:
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1543 posts
147 upvotes
soupnazi wrote:
Jun 18th, 2009 1:14 am
It looks promising.
Yep. Even Thom Hogan, the Nikon guru, ordered one.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=32165862

And there is a rumor floating that Olympus had received a much higher than expected preorder.

http://43rumors.com/
soupnazi wrote:
Jun 18th, 2009 1:14 am
This is a little disappointing about the autofocus if it is the same with the final model. Contrast based autofocus in DSLR's besides the Panasonic G1 is horrible. (2-3 seconds to focus)
I expect the AF performance to be between the G1/GH-1 and DSLRs. I think how close it is to the Panasonics would determine how well the E-P1 will be received by the majority of the early buyers.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7283 posts
174 upvotes
BC
Very tempting. I think the design nail the m43 concept perfectly. The lack of internal flash might be an issue for the average consumers who are not used to external flash.

Still, I think Olympus made a great call leaving out the flash and the OVF/EVF.

I'd get one if I have the money. Maybe a 2nd hand one in a few years.
insert witty comment
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2785 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Amazing camera.
When the 17mm lens is released I will be buying it.
Its so limited quantities right now.
I know Henry's has demos you can play with. The photo quality is great. ISO1600 0 noise.
Video is great too! It autofocuses!!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2003
2235 posts
71 upvotes
slomo wrote:
Jun 17th, 2009 9:19 am
Talking about quality, anybody here considering red systems?

http://www.red.com/

Stills are taken from videos coming off sensors starting from 13 MP to 261 MP.
I've had a chance to play with some RED raw footage as we've used it on a few shoots at work for show opens, and the footage does look good as expected but I have to say I was more impressed by RED's software, sort of like Lightroom for video.

As for the E-P1, I would love to get one but I still need to save up for a better DSLR before I can start thinking about a really good second camera.

Also, someone mentioned the 5 minute limitation, well the 5D MkII is also limited to 5 minutes (or is it 2 minutes) in regards to recording video. Although depending on your needs that's more then enough. Someone I work with has a 5D MkII and it really does do some fantastic video - better then our studios Panasonic AG-HVX200 HD camera.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2005
2466 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
demi2004 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2009 7:00 pm
The stop motion film about this camera is amazing!!

Digital Pen Video
Wow 60,000 shots. That's more than the (rated) lifespan of the shutter in older DSLR's.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5193 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
Saw the camera today, and it's not for me. It's heavy, and larger than I expected, and I'm not fond of the controls. I just sold my Panasonic LX3 in hopes of buying this to replace it, but I guess it's back to some DSLR for me. But there's a good price on the flash at Vistek for this weekend.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1508 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I had my hands on it today, too. It was way heavier than I expected. However, it was not really much bigger than my LX3 which I laid beside it. It's a little taller, a little wider, and slightly deeper (with the 17mm, no viewfinder). Viewfinder was beautiful, but I wonder how often I would use it. The camera feels solid, though, and the build quality feels incredible. Dials have a real solid, well-engineered feel to them. Ruled out the zoom because that makes the package much bigger.

Ended up putting a deposit on the 17mm kit and the flash at Vistek. I think they were about to sell the last zoom kit downtown. A salesguy was talking about some compact Panasonic micro-4/3 due in October with a Zeiss 20 f/1.7; will have to look into that and see if maybe I ought to wait.
May 27, 2007
288 posts
3 upvotes
New Westminster
I wouldn't buy one at this point because of the AF speed, lack of EVF, low resolution LCD, and the price.

I'm more interested in a G1 replacement with video or GH1 availability without the expensive 14-140 kit lens.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1508 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Are there any indications as to what the 20 f/1.7 is likely to cost ? And whether this will be a pancake ?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4741 posts
113 upvotes
Oakville
How come there's vignetting in those photos?