Om Online Wills & Emergency Care Plans

[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
2678 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto

Om Online Wills & Emergency Care Plans

I used this site to create my will online recently and now they have a 15% off discount through Facebook.

The code is FB15.
Last edited by undacova on Nov 10th, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
Redemption URL
www.om.company
How does it work?
OmAaron wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 2:35 pm
Testimonials from this thread
badass wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 11:50 am
The process was straight forward and simple to complete that I have recommended it to other family members. [...]Thank you to the OP and OM team
toshi09 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 3:30 pm
[...]I'm married and expecting so it was a no brainer for me to use Om to save money over the long-term. There was no way in hell I was going to pay to update this again once my kid was born.
undacova wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 2:15 pm
A friend of mine introduced me to it, seemed simple so I tried it out. Experience was great it was easy to use, I thought I would need to be on my laptop but was able to do most of it through my phone. Once you’re done there is a pretty thorough instructions page for each document, which is pretty easy to follow
mfinc wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 8:31 pm
Overall support was good, app was simple and easy to follow
dealseeker wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 11:12 pm
Completed it this evening and was very easy to use.
rasinscoops wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 2:45 pm
Just completed my family will on OM. It was almost too simple. [...]

If this is all that it takes to have a will completed, I would have felt really really ripped off if I went to a lawyer to have this done.
Didn't bother with value comparison of alternatives. At $216 (w/ the FB15 code) price point and the ease of the product, I didn't want to put off not having a will any longer.

[...]I'm glad I am the target group for the product.
Q: Should I select the Couple's plan or Complete plan?
OmAaron wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 2:35 pm
The main benefit of the Couple's plan is the cost savings and that settings are mirrored for children, pets, guardians (for both) and beneficiaries, where your partner is the primary beneficiary, and vice versa. This is sometimes referred to as a "mirrored will". If both you and your partner need flexibility on these settings, for example to specify different beneficiaries or children, you will need to opt for two Simple or Complete plans.
111 replies
Jul 1, 2008
237 posts
16 upvotes
Right on their website it says use FALL15 to save 15% until Oct. 31. Code Stacking?? lol
Jul 11, 2008
889 posts
296 upvotes
Advil_Yum wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 1:04 pm
Right on their website it says use FALL15 to save 15% until Oct. 31. Code Stacking?? lol
Did you try stacking them?
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9165 posts
841 upvotes
GTA
How did you come across the website to start with? I have heard many people say to be hesitant with "kits". Is this not similar to a will kit? Curious to hear more by people that have used something like this in particular if anyone ever had it reviewed by a lawyer.
Jul 11, 2008
889 posts
296 upvotes
undacova wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 12:21 pm
I used this site to create my will online recently and now they have a 15% off discount through Facebook.

The code is FB15.
Price wise they seem reasonable. How was your experience getting the will / EPOA through them?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
1888 posts
898 upvotes
thx OP

So the couples plan is $225 plus HST before the discount ..... how does this compare going to a regular lawyer? How much am I saving? And am I missing out on any advice?

Anyone with knowledge? I have been procrastinating about a will but should get it done
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3473 posts
958 upvotes
Wife was a wills/estate lawyer. She says these services leave a lot of room for the will to be challenged.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1736 posts
395 upvotes
Hometown
tietherope wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 1:39 pm
Wife was a wills/estate lawyer. She says these services leave a lot of room for the will to be challenged.
Nothing personal against your wife, but buggy whip makers back in 1910 were all saying them there automobiles are crammed full of highly explosive gasoline, gonna be millions of explosions over that....

Bet your wife also thinks ANY will drawn up by a competitor was and is contestable in court as well.... If not what was the point of all that high priced schooling about arguing the law? LOL
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
2678 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto
Advil_Yum wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 1:04 pm
let us know if it works
YLSF wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 1:12 pm
How did you come across the website to start with? I have heard many people say to be hesitant with "kits". Is this not similar to a will kit? Curious to hear more by people that have used something like this in particular if anyone ever had it reviewed by a lawyer.
A friend of mine introduced me to it, seemed simple so I tried it out
adilh53 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 1:14 pm
Price wise they seem reasonable. How was your experience getting the will / EPOA through them?
Experience was great it was easy to use, I thought I would need to be on my laptop but was able to do most of it through my phone.

Once you’re done there is a pretty thorough instructions page for each document, which is pretty easy to follow
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3473 posts
958 upvotes
Canuck2fan wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 2:07 pm
Nothing personal against your wife, but buggy whip makers back in 1910 were all saying them there automobiles are crammed full of highly explosive gasoline, gonna be millions of explosions over that....

Bet your wife also thinks ANY will drawn up by a competitor was and is contestable in court as well.... If not what was the point of all that high priced schooling about arguing the law? LOL
If you think it's incorrect, asking what this service lacks and why it opens you up to a higher chance of litigation might be the better response.

People asked for input from somebody with knowledge and I was responding to try and help those people.
Oct 28, 2018
2 posts
49 upvotes
tietherope wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 1:39 pm
After 2 years of lurking, I can't believe this post made me sign up. What grinds my gears is the whole wills and estate industry. I worked for a family law office as an assistant and TBH most of the work was templated and done by the assistants. Over 95% of people's needs were basic and you're probably better off saving the money, educating yourself and using a service like Om.
Mar 25, 2009
547 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
I’d be curious to hear opinions/experiences how this service compares to legalwills.ca which was recommended on RFD previously
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3473 posts
958 upvotes
alexeybond wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 2:43 pm
After 2 years of lurking, I can't believe this post made me sign up. What grinds my gears is the whole wills and estate industry. I worked for a family law office as an assistant and TBH most of the work was templated and done by the assistants. Over 95% of people's needs were basic and you're probably better off saving the money, educating yourself and using a service like Om.
It's not about the simplicity of the will. There are key questions and notes made in the interview process by lawyers which help when it comes to litigation. For example, if someone is left out of a will, or cut out at some point, having these notes can be very helpful when that person disputes that they should not have been omitted.

Despite the thoughts people have about lawyers, there are things that are better/smoother when done by a lawyer and in my opinion worth the extra costs.

I'm not trying to drum up any business, my wife is not in that line of work anymore.
Last edited by tietherope on Oct 29th, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 21, 2009
32 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
mcfrugal wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 3:08 pm
I’d be curious to hear opinions/experiences how this service compares to legalwills.ca which was recommended on RFD previously
I have used both. LegalWills is very out-dated as a service and they charge you for modifications after a year. I think they've been around for awhile, but that doesn't mean much these days.... seriously, who modifies their will in less than a year?

I created my will with LegalWills before I was married and needed to update recently because I'm married and expecting so it was a no brainer for me to use Om to save money over the long-term. There was no way in hell I was going to pay to update this again once my kid was born.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)