• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2018 5:24 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11877 posts
1712 upvotes
City of Vancouver
What is the purpose of intermittent fasting?
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16329 posts
1401 upvotes
Space for rent
Becks wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 3:03 am
Would be interested to know beyond the religious applications.

Also fasting just helps you improve your discipline. I guess and this is entirely my perspective on the matter, but it can help with other aspects of life like what delayed gratification does for people. As an aside, if you're eating less, then obviously there is less crap in you, pun intended.
https://articles.perfectorigins.com/muc ... pped-body/

Depending on your height, age, and diet you could be carrying anywhere from 5 to 20 pounds of poop in your intestines.

I hear liquid diets do wonders to clean out the system. This is why so many people get colon cancer, *imo*.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5131 posts
482 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Convenience for some. For others who are trying to lose weight, having a smaller eating window mean they'll eat more food in a shorter time period and it's easier for them to feel full vs spreading a small intake over the whole day.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
184 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Strength and disciplined mind with healthy focus to boot.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2530 posts
755 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 1:22 am
I know it seems that way but have you stopped and took a look at how we consume everything in great excess. Whether it's eating, drinking, buying, whatever. Body builders looked good in the 60s and 70s then they started using PEDs to look even bigger, pack on more muscle, etc. Watching people stuff their face even though they aren't hungry. Every day we do that too. Breakfast and then 3 hours later, we stuff ourselves again and then dinner at home. Snacking while winding down before bed. I'm not waxing poetic about obesity, but about over consumption of everything.

It is said that monks can go weeks without food. Christian Bale did it for the movie role of Machinist. These two examples share a commonality; they both have dedication. The people in here are doing the OMAD with success. You're not going to die eating less but it's not going to be easy adjusting. It's incredible how malleable our body and mind is if you just train it to do what you want.
In my opinion if you have the mental strength to eat once a day and starve yourself then you should have the mental strength to consume a healthy diet with foods you enjoy in moderation.
The problem I see with eating one meal a day is not being able to get proper nutrition and in my opinion it's an eating disorder (stuffing your face with whatever food you want once a day, and then starving yourself).

What is your goal exactly?

In the end do whatever works for you, as long as you're healthy the choice of diet doesn't make a difference.
Also just a little note, don't believe everything you read online.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16329 posts
1401 upvotes
Space for rent
toronto19850 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 7:18 pm
In my opinion if you have the mental strength to eat once a day and starve yourself then you should have the mental strength to consume a healthy diet with foods you enjoy in moderation.
The problem I see with eating one meal a day is not being able to get proper nutrition and in my opinion it's an eating disorder (stuffing your face with whatever food you want once a day, and then starving yourself).

What is your goal exactly?

In the end do whatever works for you, as long as you're healthy the choice of diet doesn't make a difference.
Also just a little note, don't believe everything you read online.
To lose a little weight but to also work on self discipline. So many lack self discipline in today's world.

I don't intend to stuff my face full of junk calories either. Probably increase the calories but also maintain a good balance of protiens and veggies.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2530 posts
755 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 9:53 pm
To lose a little weight but to also work on self discipline. So many lack self discipline in today's world.

I don't intend to stuff my face full of junk calories either. Probably increase the calories but also maintain a good balance of protiens and veggies.
Hey if it works for you then more power to you, I think any type of diet is great if you're benefiting from it.
Whether or not you lose weight will be determined in the end by how many calories you consume vs how much you burn. So as long as you're eating under that in your one meal, you should.

All the people who intermittent fasting that I know usually use it as an excuse to eat anything they want, they usually go to a buffet. I don't blame them, if I starved myself that long I'd probably be going to buffets all the time as well. Saves time, cooking, washing, and probably ends up being cheaper. Although it'd be counterproductive to a weight loss goal.
May 6, 2007
735 posts
84 upvotes
I do intermittent fasting and eat healthy meals, home cooked. Lots of vegetables, fruits, quality meats, eggs, rice, potatoes. I exercise regularly and prioritize sleep. Due to this I have a 6-pack abs and greek statue body year round. As far as calories, I think those are overrated. Intermittent fasting really helps a lot, but you are correct having other factors in place is also important.
[removed for solicitation]
Oct 24, 2005
911 posts
159 upvotes
Didn't know not eating breakfast and not snacking was a fad diet :|

I guess I've been intermittent fasting for most of my life!
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Apr 18, 2017
239 posts
79 upvotes
it takes no force of will to not eat, once you are truly fat adapted.
Back when I wasn't, if I had to skip a meal, I would get low blood sugar and feel very hungry, weak and shaky.

now, I feel 'hungry' when it is my eating time, but if I don't eat it doesn't matter and the hungry feeling goes away in an hour.
The following day, I will feel hungry again at the same time of day (stronger than before) but it goes away in a couple hours.
Days 3,4,5 I don't feel hunger.
Nor do I feel weak or lacking in energy. Quite the opposite actually, and often go on long hikes in the wilderness. Rough camping is a different experience when you aren't constantly thinking about food.
Aug 20, 2009
6658 posts
1312 upvotes
Grimsby
Much earlier in my life I was overweight and sort of jumped between fad diets like this. Before I do anything to my body I like to do research and so I read up on it. There are several studies on meal frequency and fasting, they've all basically come to the conclusion that results are largely the same between calories consumed and number of meals (or lack thereof). Meaning if you consume 2000 calories in one meal or 10, it doesn't really matter.

What diets do instill is some discipline which many people are sorely lacking in, so they're not without benefit but you can accomplish the same goals without depriving yourself. Unfortunately diets have a beginning and an end, they aren't sustainable for most people. Lifestyle change is more important and should be focused on. Diets also aren't a bad way to kickstart weight loss which helps people gain motivation and momentum for long term lifestyle change. For me personally, I lost a ton of weight doing low carb for example but put a bunch back on after I stopped the diet. Going to extremes, whether its low carbs, high proteins or meal frequency tend to be very difficult to sustain long term. What finally worked was just sensible portions, tracking my macros and lifting/cardio. Now I'm in fantastic shape and I still eat a lot of "cheat" food, I just hold myself accountable and get back to routine quickly afterward.

The odd time I will run into someone who hasn't seen me in a long time and they sometimes ask how I did it. People are always looking for the magic pill or bullet point answer that will solve their problems with minimal work. I usually just tell people to track their calories using an app and start walking for 30 minutes a day. By themselves they don't fix weight problems but they tend to lead to other things that do. Just the act of tracking makes you hold yourself more accountable of what you're eating and walking has obvious benefits and tends to be a gateway to meaningful exercise.
Apr 18, 2017
239 posts
79 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 1:32 pm
There are several studies on meal frequency and fasting, they've all basically come to the conclusion that results are largely the same between calories consumed and number of meals (or lack thereof). Meaning if you consume 2000 calories in one meal or 10, it doesn't really matter.
Can I assume you are just referring to studies about weight loss?
I have fortunately, never had to struggle with my weight so never looked up these studies.

however there are numerous peer reviewed studies about various biomarker improvements from different types of fasting for different disorders, that do not correlate with the CICO(calories in, colories out) model.

on another note, Three square meals a day could also be considered faddish, for all the time in human history we have been eating that way.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6605 posts
1306 upvotes
qman23 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 2:31 pm
Three square meals a day could also be considered faddish, for all the time in human history we have been eating that way.
That's my question. How did 3 meals a day become the gold standard/"correct" way to eat? Where is the evidence supporting this model?
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2530 posts
755 upvotes
qman23 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 11:51 am
it takes no force of will to not eat, once you are truly fat adapted.
Back when I wasn't, if I had to skip a meal, I would get low blood sugar and feel very hungry, weak and shaky.

now, I feel 'hungry' when it is my eating time, but if I don't eat it doesn't matter and the hungry feeling goes away in an hour.
The following day, I will feel hungry again at the same time of day (stronger than before) but it goes away in a couple hours.
Days 3,4,5 I don't feel hunger.
Nor do I feel weak or lacking in energy. Quite the opposite actually, and often go on long hikes in the wilderness. Rough camping is a different experience when you aren't constantly thinking about food.
It probably is just your metabolism slowing down to the point where you use less calories per day and thus are not hungry.

Hows your lean body mass, bone density, and health otherwise?