Tags:
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11877 posts
1712 upvotes
City of Vancouver
trucanuck wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 11:26 am
...I have a 6-pack abs and greek statue body year round...
Pics and age. If u r young, it's easier to have a 6 pack.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2530 posts
755 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 4:30 pm
LOL I wasn't going to comment on that 'greek statue' post but since you did

this may be himFace With Tears Of Joy
Apr 18, 2017
239 posts
79 upvotes
Total muscle + liver glycogen = ~ 2400kCalories. Enough for 1 day of moderate activity.

170lb six pack lean dude at 10% body fat is carrying 17lbs of fat @~3500kCalories/lb.
=~60,000kCalories.

That's 25 days at 2400kCalories/day.

Simply put.
Sugar good for 1 day.
Fat good for 25 days.

It makes sense to me that we evolved to run on fat.
Those too weak to hunt or gather if going one or two days without food, would be unlikely to survive.
Last edited by qman23 on Jan 5th, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 3, 2017
308 posts
218 upvotes
I just came off of a 96 hour water fast. Tried for 5 days but the cravings not the hunger caused me to cave. OMAD id easy once you become fat adapted
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6605 posts
1306 upvotes
Book at Costco:

The Complete Guide To Fasting, Heal Your Body Through Inermittent, Alternate Day, and Extended Fasting by Dr. Fung M.D.. $22.99.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5131 posts
482 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 1:18 am
Book at Costco:

The Complete Guide To Fasting, Heal Your Body Through Inermittent, Alternate Day, and Extended Fasting by Dr. Fung M.D.. $22.99.
Fung is a quack. Reader beware.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11877 posts
1712 upvotes
City of Vancouver
qman23 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 11:51 am
it takes no force of will to not eat, once you are truly fat adapted...
fryguy1987 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 12:27 am
I just came off of a 96 hour water fast. Tried for 5 days but the cravings not the hunger caused me to cave. OMAD id easy once you become fat adapted
What is this new lingo, "fat adapted"?
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Jan 3, 2017
308 posts
218 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 4:30 pm
What is this new lingo, "fat adapted"?
Fat adapted means that your body has switched from using carbohydrates as it's energy source and instead uses fat. This happens when you severely limit the intake of carbohydrates each day to less than 20g per day. And severely restrict means severely restrict. It's more extreme than Atkins. By doing this you put your body into a state which is called ketosis, where the body does not have enough glucose (carbohydrates) for energy,so it burns fats instead. Either stored or ingested. This results in a build-up of acids called ketones within the body hence "ketosis"

It takes a few days of severe carbohydrate restriction to enter ketosis. The keto diet is an extremely effective wight loss method as the ketones that are produced in your body naturally curb hunger . When you enter ketosis, you are literally not hungry. The no appetite accompanied by high fat foods help to satisfy you like no other diet can. When your eating bacon, cheese, nuts, chicken wings, steak, full fat dressings like mayo/ranch/ceaser etc you do not have the feeling of being deprived that other diets give you so it's very easy to stay on it.

It's also important to note that Keto is not a short term on again off again diet, it's mainly a lifestyle choice however there are people that lose weight and go back to eating carbs after but it's not really a back and forth thing as eating carbs will kick you out of ketosis and you will be very hungry coming out of ketosis and carb dependent again.

I lost 90 lbs on keto and have kept it off for 3 years. I'm now experimenting with fasting but nor for weight loss, more of a cleanse thing. I'm not entirely sold on the water fasting cleansing benefits but after surviving stage 3 cancer, I figured 5 days of not eating won't hurt me so I have nothing to lose. I'm extremely fit now, easily the best shape of my life so weight loss is not an issue for me anymore.

A lot of people try keto but don't stick with it as the first couple of days can be a little rough. You will be very hungry and you can get what is known as the "keto-flu" if you don't watch your electrolytes when doing keto

The reason you hear so much about keto these days is because the "diet" or "lifestyle choice" is virtually effortless once you get past the first few days. Your satisfied, not hungry and that solves 2 of the biggest problem people have when going on a diet. The weight loss in the first week or two can also be rather extreme due to the fact that when your body burns thru it's glucose (carbohydrate reserves) it can not hold on to water weight which can result in 10-15 lbs gone in the first week alone. That weight that week loss is 95% water but that is a huge motivate to keep going for most people, and losing 15 lbs of water weight will make you noticeably slimmer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
May 6, 2007
735 posts
84 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 4:30 pm

I am 47 lol.... age is just an excuse.
[removed for solicitation]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5351 posts
2606 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
trucanuck wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 8:46 am
I am 47 lol.... age is just an excuse.
How about a pic with you posed beside this RFD page. Us ladies need proof lol.

PS - I'm 47 also. I'm trying to add an image but it isn't working for me. I've done it before - not sure what has changed.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5131 posts
482 upvotes
trucanuck wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 11:26 am
I do intermittent fasting and eat healthy meals, home cooked. Lots of vegetables, fruits, quality meats, eggs, rice, potatoes. I exercise regularly and prioritize sleep. Due to this I have a 6-pack abs and greek statue body year round. As far as calories, I think those are overrated. Intermittent fasting really helps a lot, but you are correct having other factors in place is also important.
How did you come to the conclusion that's it's when you eat and what you eat that causes you to look like that? Lol. Of course energy balance matters when it comes to weight and aesthetics. Not to mention genetics, training, etc.

IF isn't exactly optimal for gaining/retaining muscle.
May 6, 2007
735 posts
84 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 1:59 pm
How did you come to the conclusion that's it's when you eat and what you eat that causes you to look like that? Lol. Of course energy balance matters when it comes to weight and aesthetics. Not to mention genetics, training, etc.

IF isn't exactly optimal for gaining/retaining muscle.
Training is critical of course for gaining and retaining muscle. I think all types of training have value, not just weights, but cardio, bodyweight training, flexibility, etc.
Sure , common belief is energy balance makes sense, but guess what the human body is not a machine, it is insanely complex. Food quality and what your diet is composed of is vastly more important than total caloric count or macro breakdown.

Just look at the majority of the people in the gym - they never make any progress or visible changes no matter how many hours they toil away. Sure their training is not optimal, but the real factor is that body composition is at least 80% based on diet.
I'm only saying what I have seen personally based on myself and trying many different things. Sure you can said genetics, metabolism, etc... but in the end you have to play the cards you are dealt and make the most of what you were given.

Look at the king of the jungle, the lion - it doesn't eat 5 meals a day or count macros. It hunts and feasts.... So you can be like a cow and sit around grazing, or you can be a fierce hunter like a lion.... Whatever you do accept that the body you have comes from the life that you live.
[removed for solicitation]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5351 posts
2606 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
amz155 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 1:59 pm
How did you come to the conclusion that's it's when you eat and what you eat that causes you to look like that?
I'm guessing they don't look like that lol.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5131 posts
482 upvotes
trucanuck wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 2:08 pm
Training is critical of course for gaining and retaining muscle. I think all types of training have value, not just weights, but cardio, bodyweight training, flexibility, etc.
Sure , common belief is energy balance makes sense, but guess what the human body is not a machine, it is insanely complex. Food quality and what your diet is composed of is vastly more important than total caloric count or macro breakdown.

Just look at the majority of the people in the gym - they never make any progress or visible changes no matter how many hours they toil away. Sure their training is not optimal, but the real factor is that body composition is at least 80% based on diet.
I'm only saying what I have seen personally based on myself and trying many different things. Sure you can said genetics, metabolism, etc... but in the end you have to play the cards you are dealt and make the most of what you were given.

Look at the king of the jungle, the lion - it doesn't eat 5 meals a day or count macros. It hunts and feasts.... So you can be like a cow and sit around grazing, or you can be a fierce hunter like a lion.... Whatever you do accept that the body you have comes from the life that you live.
It's not that energy balance makes sense though. There hasn't been a study in the history of ever that has shown that energy balance doesn't matter when it comes to weight gain/loss.

The majority of the people at the gym who look the same year after year continue to do so because a) maybe they don't want to change their body composition and b) they unfortunately don't know what it takes to change. Or if they know, they don't stick with it long enough.

You certainly can't compare humans to lions :D