Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
688 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto

one 2 hr workout session vs two 1 hr work out sessions

hi rfd. was wondering what differences would there be between one 2hr workout session vs two 1hr workout session. based on my work schedule i have the option of working out 1hr in the morning before i leave for work then when i return home i can workout 1 hr again for a total of 2 hrs workout time for the day. my other option is to skip working out in the morning and just workout 2 hrs straight once i return home. i understand that i'd be tired from work once i return home, so that's why i'm leaning towards working out 1 hr in morning and 1 hr when i get home.

but i want to know what differences there are, such as health benefits or w/e if i workout 1 hr, then sit idle for 8 hrs straight and workout another 1 hr after, and working out for 2 hrs in a row. do i still get the same benefits working out two 1hr sessions that i would working out one 2hr session? thx :)
9 replies
Mar 11, 2011
264 posts
3 upvotes
Canada
Just workout after work. It would be the same thing. Saves you the hassle of going twice.
Oct 7, 2009
813 posts
49 upvotes
Unless you're 18 years or younger (or jacked on steroids), there's no way you can sustain any sort of serious output training-wise for 2 hours. The longest I would suggest is an hour and 15 minutes, tops, plus stretching. Besides the drop in energy, your hormonal balance starts to get whacked after about an hour, meaning that you're looking at diminishing gains. The big question is why do you need to work out for two hours?
Follow me on Twitter for fitness and nutrition tips: @tomtothiron
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
688 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
IThinkFit wrote:
Mar 26th, 2011 4:32 pm
Just workout after work. It would be the same thing. Saves you the hassle of going twice.
place is actually 5 min walk from my house.
Therion wrote:
Mar 26th, 2011 4:42 pm
Unless you're 18 years or younger (or jacked on steroids), there's no way you can sustain any sort of serious output training-wise for 2 hours. The longest I would suggest is an hour and 15 minutes, tops, plus stretching. Besides the drop in energy, your hormonal balance starts to get whacked after about an hour, meaning that you're looking at diminishing gains. The big question is why do you need to work out for two hours?
usually for a 1 hr workout i do

0-15min: stretch/warmup
16-45min: jogging (and sprinting every now and then)
46-1hr mark: weights

if i do a 2hr session i just rest for 10-15min doing some more light stretching before i repeat the above for another hr. i'm aiming for 6-8 hrs of exercising per week, i eat a lot of food and usually when i'm downtown i eat a lot of bad chain restaurant food for lunch lol. i've been keeping track of the amount of food i eat per day and i eat about 2500 calories a day :-0 . i'm only 5'10" and weigh 165. i'm not a workout freak so i don't think 8 hrs per week is that extreme. also i know that overtraining is bad so if i ever get tired or w/e i will take time off accordingly.
Mar 11, 2011
264 posts
3 upvotes
Canada
2 hours a week is nothing to worry about. As long as you eat and rest properly, it should be fine.
Oct 7, 2009
813 posts
49 upvotes
You can get away with doing half cardio, and half weights, for some reason I assumed two hours of weights... I'd do the weights first, though, when you're freshest. Not really a necessity, but you might see an improvement in your strength.
Follow me on Twitter for fitness and nutrition tips: @tomtothiron
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9867 posts
577 upvotes
Calgary
Therion wrote:
Mar 26th, 2011 4:42 pm

This. Usually quicker than an hour...
RFD Users who tell it like it is and aren't sheltered by society's wet blanket:
Syne, a-tree, Shaner, Peckerwood, Anonymouse, Cas77, arisk
arisk wrote:
Oct 15th, 2011 7:45 pm
Banning proper use in a forum such as this simply perpetuates the problem by reinforcing the perspective that all uses of a word are negative.
KorruptioN wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 9:11 pm
She must be better than all of us real men, at any cost. Feel like talking down to people who don't fit in her narrow-minded demographic? She's got it in spades.
Feb 7, 2009
524 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
Its been shown in research already that workout over 1 hour generally doesn't yield greater results. Besides, workout for that long gets really boring.
Anywho,it'd be much more efficient to be workout at for 1 hour at a higher intensity, vs working out for 2 hours at a low intensity. I don't understand how any workout would require 2 hours...
You should absolutely workout in the morning, before eating anything because that is the time when you will burn the most fat (on an empty stomach).
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
2502 posts
141 upvotes
Brampton
OpportunityChaos wrote:
Mar 26th, 2011 5:00 pm

15 minutes of weights? That's not a workout.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1294 upvotes
OpportunityChaos wrote:
Mar 26th, 2011 5:00 pm
place is actually 5 min walk from my house.

usually for a 1 hr workout i do

0-15min: stretch/warmup

16-45min: jogging (and sprinting every now and then)

if i do a 2hr session i just rest for 10-15min doing some more light stretching before i repeat the above for another hr. i'm aiming for 6-8 hrs of exercising per week,

i eat a lot of food

and usually when i'm downtown i eat a lot of bad chain restaurant food for lunch lol. i've been keeping track of the amount of food i eat per day and i eat about 2500 calories a day :-0 . i'm only 5'10" and weigh 165. i'm not a workout freak so i don't think 8 hrs per week is that extreme. also i know that overtraining is bad so if i ever get tired or w/e i will take time off accordingly.
In answer to your question, " do i still get the same benefits working out two 1hr sessions that i would working out one 2hr session? " and based on that typical workout you described above - i.e 15 minutes of weights and 30 minutes of actual low to moderate intensity cardio training per hour - I'd say ( in theory ) " yes " - you would probably get about the same benefit IMO.

That said, when I read you statement that " i eat a lot of food " and " I eat a lot of bad chain restaurant food for lunch ", then it appears to me that you feel you have to do 2 hours of training simply to counteract what you may feel is the adverse ( potential ) impact of what appears to be a ' lousy diet '. If that's the case, I don't think you need to do 2 hours of training a day IMO. For most average ' recreational ' gym rats - whether their primary goal is to shed fat or to add some muscle in an effective and efficient and ' reasonable ' manner - training around 1 hour a day should be sufficient....IMO.

For example, if you're doing weight training for just general muscular conditioning, you can achieve that going a very basic simple full body workout that can easily be done in around 40 minutes or so, 2 or 3 days a week on non consecutive days.

I'm guessing your typical cardio training session of 30 minutes of low to moderate intensity cardio training / " jogging " is probably burning somewhere around 200 - 300 calories IMO. And based on your food comments, I'm also assuming you're doing 2 hours of traning either to help shed some fat or prevent fat gain. If it were me, I'd look to get those 200 - 300 calories that contribute your daily calorie deficit simply by cutting back on the calories you currently consume from a lot of the food you eat. For most folks, at a 2,500 a day calorie level, cutting back by not consuming 300 - 500 calories day is reasonable. Simply cut back a bit and stop eating " a lot " of food from " bad chain restaurants " and elsewhere.

So, assuming you get your diet in line, training around 1 hour a day should be sufficient...IMO.

For example, on the days you do your 40 minute weight training session, simply tack on a 20 minute cardio session at the end of it. Some form of 20 minute interval cardio session would likely be the most efficient approach IMO. On the days you don't do weight training, do as much cardio you want in whatever form you want for that 1 hour you've set aside. And if it were me, I'd have a goal of burning as many calories as you can in that hour you've set aside for cardio . :)
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
× < >