Students

Which one is more important for job interviews?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 6:53 pm
[OP]
Jun 16, 2017
5 posts

Which one is more important for job interviews?

Which one is more important for job interviews and applications for jobs in the computer science major?
1.CGPA
2.University Reputation
3.Years of study

I know all of them are important and needed but let's say a student who gets (3.2/4.0 CGPA) from UofT in 5 years vs (7.5/9.0(or 3.5/4.0) CGPA) from YorkU in 5 years will have a better chance of getting better job opportunities and in general future?
PLZ HELP
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3633 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
There isn't going to be a set formula... but IF everything else being equal (including EXPERIENCE!!, which you did not include), most likely UofT with slightly less GPA will be better off than YorkU.
But then let's be honest, there are hardly any 2 people exactly equal. Being able to speak & present yourself a tad bit better during interview will have bigger impact than which university you're from.

The biggest difference is probably *before* the interviews however, as UofT will likely have more connections with companies and have more available job postings available. Of course this only matters for intern/co-op or new grad positions applicable from university job site or what not.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10220 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
I think it's university reputation > CGPA >= Years of study. What's your issue anyway? Is there any reason you can't go to UofT CS and complete the program within a reasonable amount of time with an average - decent CGPA? You might want to reconsider your career choice if you seem to be struggling and need to be this tactical about it.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
4497 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
Some employers I believe look at the person on how well they will fit in the company or team. They need someone who is going to be likeable and not a douch*** or PITA.
Sep 29, 2008
606 posts
67 upvotes
Mississauga
This is dependent on where you are trying to go. Different employers and schools value different things.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1923 posts
285 upvotes
For entry level jobs whether the candidate has a university degree or a 2 year Diploma. Does it make any difference?
Some of you might be experienced in hiring processes etc. I am looking for fields like IT ..
Looking to put my nephew in a diploma course rather than degree.....
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13357 posts
1210 upvotes
None of it matters if the employer neglects to ask for provenance.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1993 posts
293 upvotes
Edmonton
In all honesty, none.
It doesn't matter if you get an A or barely pass, a pass is a pass.
Doesn't matter if you did an online university or an actual one, you have a degree.
Doesn't matter if you take 4 years or 7 years, you have a degree.

In the end, none of the above matter at all. If you want to be ahead of your peers, get a part time job relative to the industry you want to be in, biggest step up you can do.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8