Students

Which one is more important for job interviews?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2017 5:09 pm
[OP]
Jun 16, 2017
5 posts

Which one is more important for job interviews?

Which one is more important for job interviews and applications for jobs in the computer science major?
1.CGPA
2.University Reputation
3.Years of study

I know all of them are important and needed but let's say a student who gets (3.2/4.0 CGPA) from UofT in 5 years vs (7.5/9.0(or 3.5/4.0) CGPA) from YorkU in 5 years will have a better chance of getting better job opportunities and in general future?
PLZ HELP
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3791 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto
There isn't going to be a set formula... but IF everything else being equal (including EXPERIENCE!!, which you did not include), most likely UofT with slightly less GPA will be better off than YorkU.
But then let's be honest, there are hardly any 2 people exactly equal. Being able to speak & present yourself a tad bit better during interview will have bigger impact than which university you're from.

The biggest difference is probably *before* the interviews however, as UofT will likely have more connections with companies and have more available job postings available. Of course this only matters for intern/co-op or new grad positions applicable from university job site or what not.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
I think it's university reputation > CGPA >= Years of study. What's your issue anyway? Is there any reason you can't go to UofT CS and complete the program within a reasonable amount of time with an average - decent CGPA? You might want to reconsider your career choice if you seem to be struggling and need to be this tactical about it.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
4540 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
Some employers I believe look at the person on how well they will fit in the company or team. They need someone who is going to be likeable and not a douch*** or PITA.
Sep 29, 2008
610 posts
69 upvotes
Mississauga
This is dependent on where you are trying to go. Different employers and schools value different things.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1950 posts
289 upvotes
For entry level jobs whether the candidate has a university degree or a 2 year Diploma. Does it make any difference?
Some of you might be experienced in hiring processes etc. I am looking for fields like IT ..
Looking to put my nephew in a diploma course rather than degree.....
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13394 posts
1223 upvotes
None of it matters if the employer neglects to ask for provenance.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2091 posts
341 upvotes
Edmonton
In all honesty, none.
It doesn't matter if you get an A or barely pass, a pass is a pass.
Doesn't matter if you did an online university or an actual one, you have a degree.
Doesn't matter if you take 4 years or 7 years, you have a degree.

In the end, none of the above matter at all. If you want to be ahead of your peers, get a part time job relative to the industry you want to be in, biggest step up you can do.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1873 posts
264 upvotes
GTA
i've come to a realization that HR/employer looks at work experience and the actual person that applied for the role not about which school you went to, etc ... with that being said as long as HR likes your resume then they will connect you with the hiring manager. They don't really care about which school you went to, they try and see if your the "idea match" and the interview is all about whether or not you "fit" in.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2428 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing academic. They'll never ask you your GPA!

#1 = EXPERIENCE
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2428 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
Asker123 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 10:18 am
For entry level jobs whether the candidate has a university degree or a 2 year Diploma. Does it make any difference?
Some of you might be experienced in hiring processes etc. I am looking for fields like IT ..
Looking to put my nephew in a diploma course rather than degree.....
Entry level - they often don't want Uni graduates; they're over qualified and expect too much. College grads are much more likely to get hired for IT entry level, but overall, it's experience they want. Going to school won't teach you the skills you need to get a job and maintain a job successfully; only experience can do that.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4533 posts
499 upvotes
test9251 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:53 pm
Some employers I believe look at the person on how well they will fit in the company or team. They need someone who is going to be likeable and not a douch*** or PITA.
+1 (I'll add ...."most" employers)
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
4540 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 3:42 pm
+1 (I'll add ...."most" employers)
I learned this too late after going to a lot of interviews. Well.. better luck next time to me.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4533 posts
499 upvotes
test9251 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 6:27 pm
I learned this too late after going to a lot of interviews. Well.. better luck next time to me.
Interviews are like that...the more you do the better you get at it.
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Apr 14, 2017
203 posts
66 upvotes
DT Calgary
Work experience and interview skills trump all when getting your first job.