Students

Which one is more important for job interviews?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2017 5:09 pm
Jun 10, 2013
65 posts
20 upvotes
Work experience trumps all, if you have none of that, prepare a portfolio to show employers that you know your shit. Outside of coop, no one has asked me for my GPA though I do write in Dean's Honours List on my resume (it's gotten a few notices but meh). After a few years of work no one really gives a shit except an HR sreener that is out of touch with operations. Use your university resources to write a better cover letter/resume and get a recorded mock interview critiqued by one of the career services folks. School rep matters more than your GPA (mostly because no one asks).
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4517 posts
493 upvotes
maybenotbutok wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 2:13 pm
Which one is more important for job interviews and applications for jobs in the computer science major?
1.CGPA
2.University Reputation
3.Years of study

I know all of them are important and needed but let's say a student who gets (3.2/4.0 CGPA) from UofT in 5 years vs (7.5/9.0(or 3.5/4.0) CGPA) from YorkU in 5 years will have a better chance of getting better job opportunities and in general future?
PLZ HELP
You've probably been conditioned to think the above matters, but in the end none of it is going to make a difference for you especially during a job interview. Your character, personality and how well you fit in (especially with the hiring manager) will be the determining factor of you landing the job or not.
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."