Travel

One week in Banff and Jasper at a short notice and on budget....possible?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2018 9:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2201 posts
391 upvotes
Winnipeg

One week in Banff and Jasper at a short notice and on budget....possible?

Hey guys,
Got full one week off starting from next saturday till the sunday afterwards.
We are in Winnipeg and will be driving. Wife and a 6 year old boy along.
Is it possible to do Banff and Jasper .
Interests...
1) Banff Gandola
2) Colombia icefield - That adventure bus tour
3) Lake louise
4) Jasper . Not sure whats there and what to do there
Not a super hiking sort of folks . more to relax and enjoy some rides and views.
Any other major interesting point that you recommend that can be done easily and is memorable ( consider 6 year old boy)

now all this is fine but how to do it... The night halt in between, I will figure it out ( banff is 1500 kms so want to do the driving in 2 days)
where to stay for 6 nights to cover all the above and can this be done at average 150to 200 bucks per night?
Any help appreciated. TIA
23 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14710 posts
5026 upvotes
To be honest, I assume it'll be tough to stay in Banff or Jasper for that price. A lot of hotels will not even have availability this time of year.

For Banff, Canmore is a popular alternative. Cochrane and Calgary are also sometimes choices but both are a bit of a drive. Canmore is much closer. Canmore will also have many AirBNBs still (I think - they discussed removing them awhile ago).
For Jasper, Hinton is a popular alternative. I think it's about 45 minutes out though - but is the closest major city / town.
I'm not sure there's a great place in between to stay and check out both.

Obviously you have already used Trivago and I assume have found little to no availability. Within Jasper, the cheaper hotels are Marmot Lodge and the other Mountain Park Lodges properties. Within Banff the Inns of Banff is often cheap and the Rocky Mountain Resort is very cheap (but not walking distance to places) - it's a timeshare place so you might score a deal there.

For things to do that are not hiking - obviously Banff and Jasper both have Hot Spring and the "shopping" in the tourist parts. Banff has more than Jasper I find (when it comes to non-hiking). There is the Lake Minnewanka Boat Cruise which is very popular:
https://www.banffjaspercollection.com/a ... ka-cruise/

Johnson's Canyon is also very popular.

There are also several places to rent canoes - might be fun with a 6 year old.

I will warn you - for some reason Banff and Jasper have got crazy busy the last couple years. It is insane what some of the crowds are like at popular spots. Good luck - we have stopped going during the summer months as we refuse to pay $300/night and end up going in October and April.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
29979 posts
5111 upvotes
Ottawa
Firstly, it is a 2 day drive or a very long day especially with a 6 year old that needs numerous P breaks LOL. (almost 1500 kms).
And even longer back from Jasper (almost 1700 kms). Plus the 300 kms between Banff and Jasper. You will need to stop on the Ice fields to have a look at those so, that's a day trip as well.
Point is, a lot of driving for a couple days a long way away just to "relax".
Oh and yes, the gondola rides are nice but if you are not into nature, there is not much else in either spot.
So, your title of "one week in Banff and Jasper" is not quite correct. You have one week off and 4 or more days of driving :)
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7340 posts
1752 upvotes
Toronto
If you don't like hiking and enjoy nature, forget such a trip, especially with a 6 yr old boy. It'll be super expensive if you can find hotel availability, or stay at Calgary and Hinton, with the daily commutes that eats up more time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2201 posts
391 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thanks you guys are right...
Chepest decent place to stay in banff I could find was 230 cad per night.. booked the last room at this price ( I can cancel till 14th). I booked all 6 nights in Banff. probably would need to leave Jasper for another trip
If I do this adventure it will be this
Sat - Drive
Sun- Drive
Monday - No drive . Use shuttle from the hotel to go Banff. Roam around and do Gandola.
Tuesday - Drive to colombia Icefield. We will like to take that adventure Rig and not hike
Wed - Do the Minnewanka Boat Cruise as someone suggested above! if time permits do banff Gandola again.
Thursday - Johnson’s Canyon. we can hike slowly as we are not in hurry
Friday - Go to lake luoise. Is there any cruise ? We can do Gandola there
Sat- Drive
Sun- Drive
Worth it? Alreday booked 6 nights in Banff for 1500 cad. Seems like 2 more nights at mid point will cost me another 300 or so
Gas = 250
Rides and cruises= Gandolas, cruises and icefield bus. not sure how much would that be?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
29979 posts
5111 upvotes
Ottawa
Asker123 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 11:24 am
Chepest decent place to stay in banff I could find was 230 cad per night.. booked the last room at this price ( I can cancel till 14th). I booked all 6 nights in Banff. probably would need to leave Jasper for another trip
Sat - Drive
Sun- Drive
Monday - No drive . Use shuttle from the hotel to go Banff. Roam around and do Gandola.
Tuesday - Drive to colombia Icefield. We will like to take that adventure Rig and not hike
Wed - Do the Minnewanka Boat Cruise as someone suggested above! if time permits do banff Gandola again.
Friday - Go to lake luoise. Is there any cruise ? We can do Gandola there
Sat- Drive
Sun- Drive
Worth it? Alreday booked 6 nights in Banff for 1500 cad. Seems like 2 more nights at mid point will cost me another 300 or so
Gas = 250
Rides and cruises= Gandolas, cruises and icefield bus. not sure how much would that be?
In my opinion no, it is not worth it.
$1750, plus attractions plus 4 days driving, plus meals.
https://www.redtag.ca/vacation-results/ ... e=20180616
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1985 posts
620 upvotes
Edmonton
If you are doing the Columbia Icefields, you should also do the Glacier Skywalk: https://www.banffjaspercollection.com/a ... r-skywalk/

It would be a shame to turn around, not having completed the entire Parkway. You should go to Jasper. It is less touristy. The details of this will be obvious after you see both.

This way you would be able to do a full loop and return via the Yellowhead.

Once you leave Jasper, you can hit the Miette Hot Springs which is a beautiful drive up the mountain. The Hot Springs are a distance from the town but convenient to a departure if you are heading East.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2201 posts
391 upvotes
Winnipeg
starchoice wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 12:51 pm
If you are doing the Columbia Icefields, you should also do the Glacier Skywalk: https://www.banffjaspercollection.com/a ... r-skywalk/

It would be a shame to turn around, not having completed the entire Parkway. You should go to Jasper. It is less touristy. The details of this will be obvious after you see both.

This way you would be able to do a full loop and return via the Yellowhead.

Once you leave Jasper, you can hit the Miette Hot Springs which is a beautiful drive up the mountain. The Hot Springs are a distance from the town but convenient to a departure if you are heading East.
ok thanks
its just that I am the only driver and I would be doing 4 full days driving out of 9 days so want to travel less in those 5 days while I am there.
Lets see. I am watching weather too. if rain is forecasted in banff for several days next week, I will cancel the trip anyways.
total would be like 2800 cad for essentially 5 days baff trip and 3500 kms on my car. Let me think...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5859 posts
1989 upvotes
Kootenays
Asker123 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 11:24 am
Sat - Drive
Sun- Drive
Friday - Go to lake louise. Is there any cruise ? We can do Gandola there
Sat- Drive
Sun- Drive
Gas = 250
Motorised boats are forbidden on Lake Louise. They do have canoe rentals, though. PRICE FOR NON-HOTEL GUESTS: $115 per hour | $105 per half hour
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4907 posts
1803 upvotes
starchoice wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 12:51 pm
Have to disagree with this. The Skywalk is waaaaaaaaaaaay over-rated and really not worth the effort or the cost.

Having said that, though, OP wants to do the Banff gondola not once but twice (which is really overkill) so maybe he will be interested in this.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1148 posts
202 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
If you're going to Johnston Canyon, you may as well visit Lake Louise and Moraine Lake on the same day, as you're driving in that direction anyway.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8898 posts
1619 upvotes
6 days in Banff? you will be bored after 1.5 days
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4808 posts
563 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 5:42 pm
Have to disagree with this. The Skywalk is waaaaaaaaaaaay over-rated and really not worth the effort or the cost.

Having said that, though, OP wants to do the Banff gondola not once but twice (which is really overkill) so maybe he will be interested in this.
+1 skywalk is a huge ripoff
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4571 posts
654 upvotes
Mississauga
Banff... 1-2 day
lake louise/lake minnewanka...1 day
Columbia icefield...1 day
drumheller...1 day

your 6 year old will enjoy drumheller...
Last edited by Ducky on Jun 15th, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4571 posts
654 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 7:49 am
Firstly, it is a 2 day drive or a very long day especially with a 6 year old that needs numerous P breaks LOL. (almost 1500 kms).
And even longer back from Jasper (almost 1700 kms). Plus the 300 kms between Banff and Jasper. You will need to stop on the Ice fields to have a look at those so, that's a day trip as well.
Point is, a lot of driving for a couple days a long way away just to "relax".
Oh and yes, the gondola rides are nice but if you are not into nature, there is not much else in either spot.
So, your title of "one week in Banff and Jasper" is not quite correct. You have one week off and 4 or more days of driving :)
6 year old don't need pee breaks... that's what an empty water bottles is for...lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)