Cell Phones

OnePlus 5 - Starts at $649 CAD, 'limited edition' Soft Gold colour now available

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2017 7:28 am
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10839 posts
3540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
endokuken wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 9:29 pm
There's also the scrolling issue many have been reporting

https://goo.gl/photos/7PuYVwXxBzzc5j9r6

https://gfycat.com/GratefulEvergreenBluefintuna

Examples of what's happening. Many are returning or have returned or exchanged and have had the same issue. Hopefully not everyone has been affected by it.
It's a known issue for which OP is working on a solution: The jelly scrolling effect should be fixed by july according to OP rep.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 10, 2013
503 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
TruBrush wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 10:56 pm
Reading the Reddit AMA, it's amazing how they are trying to bullshit the clearly tech savvy crowd, that instantly schools them on every question. They finally admitted they didn't use the ОIS to make the phone/camera bump thinner. Basically, they wanted a sexy thin iPhonesque device to appeal to the Instagram models, this is where the money is, and all those model ads, they don't care about the enthusiast nerds, they don't give the same profit numbers.
Nah, they can't put everything in the 5, they need to save some features to make their next iteration 5T more appealing.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16395 posts
1100 upvotes
Woodbridge
onlinesurfer wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 9:29 am
Nah, they can't put everything in the 5, they need to save some features to make their next iteration 5T more appealing.
This is what Apple how thought me. Marketing at its finest.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12546 posts
4060 upvotes
Oakville
onlinesurfer wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 9:29 am
bembol wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 10:01 am
This is what Apple how thought me. Marketing at its finest.
That's another thing that would give me pause about purchasing a OnePlus device - the risk of them releasing an updated version in 6 months.
Public Mobile
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10839 posts
3540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
wearysky wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 10:04 am
That's another thing that would give me pause about purchasing a OnePlus device - the risk of them releasing an updated version in 6 months.
Why? How does the introduction of a new model make the previous one obsolete (except in the minds of those who have to have the latest and greatest at all times)?

The OP3 and OP3T remain high-end phones despite the introduction of the OP5. Likewise if an OP5T comes out in a few months the OP5 won't suddenly become obsolete. Indeed there are people still making good use of OP1 and OP2 phones.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12546 posts
4060 upvotes
Oakville
bylo wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 10:09 am
Why? How does the introduction of a new model make the previous one obsolete (except in the minds of those who have to have the latest and greatest at all times)?

The OP3 and OP3T remain high-end phones despite the introduction of the OP5. Likewise if an OP5T comes out in a few months the OP5 won't suddenly become obsolete. Indeed there are people still making good use of OP1 and OP2 phones.
It doesn't make the previous one obsolete, obviously (except for OnePlus's history of ditching software updates on old models, which OP2 users might have a thing or two to say about). But this is different from yearly release schedules, because somebody who likes the OP5 but thinks it's missing a few bells and whistles (OIS, for example) might simply skip out on purchasing the OP5 in the hopes that an OP5T comes out in a few months. I don't mind if a new model comes out in a year with features that I might have wanted, because hey, nobody wants to wait a whole year. But once you get to 6 months or less, suddenly one starts thinking that maybe it's worth waiting a little longer just to see.
Public Mobile
Nov 28, 2010
913 posts
128 upvotes
Brampton
bylo wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 8:07 am
It's a known issue for which OP is working on a solution: The jelly scrolling effect should be fixed by july according to OP rep.
Many are claiming it's because of the screen being inverted which would warrant a return by all effected to have it fixed which would be very frustrating to have to send back overseas all over again. Hopefully if there is a 5t, the camera will be improved and screen issues taken care of
Oct 19, 2012
203 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
So after using the phone for a week, I've just submitted my request to return the OP5. The battery life was outstanding, easily getting over 6+ hrs of SOT, and even over 7hrs but the camera performance was a real letdown and left me unsatisfied. I'll stick with my Galaxy S7 Edge and Pixel XL for now until something else comes or they come out with the OP5T with OIS.
Current Cell Plans
Telus: 15GB CAN/USA Plan
Rogers: 16GB Nationwide Plan
Freedom: 8GB Promo 50 Plan
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11279 posts
1508 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
konfusion666 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 2:16 pm
OMG, I feel sorry for all the poor schmucks who pre-ordered this shitty, defective, POS phone.

That said, if LG can recover from G4 scandal, and Samsung can recover from Note 7 scandal, I'm sure OP will recover from this...
I doubt OnePlus can recover from this. They already stopped supporting the OnePlus 2 after saying repeatedly they were going to. Now OnePlus 3/3T updates have stopped (temporarily) and all you see are hotfixes for the OnePlus 5. Then there's the fact that OnePlus is a small company and their phone isn't exactly flagship killer given its increased price and worse camera performance. I think people will wait for the OnePlus 5T now.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15885 posts
488 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
geokilla wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 2:28 pm
I doubt OnePlus can recover from this. They already stopped supporting the OnePlus 2 after saying repeatedly they were going to. Now OnePlus 3/3T updates have stopped (temporarily) and all you see are hotfixes for the OnePlus 5. Then there's the fact that OnePlus is a small company and their phone isn't exactly flagship killer given its increased price and worse camera performance. I think people will wait for the OnePlus 5T now.
one saving grace is the extensive developer support, at least for the OP1/OP3/OP3T. Since those 3 models were all runaway successes without much "scandal", there's enough developers who are going to keep supporting them via LineageOS etc.
I still don't regret getting my OP3. It's still my favorite Android phone I've ever had, beating my older Nexuses.

BTW not sure OnePlus is such a small company. They're a subsidiary of OPPO I believe.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11279 posts
1508 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
konfusion666 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 2:32 pm
one saving grace is the extensive developer support, at least for the OP1/OP3/OP3T. Since those 3 models were all runaway successes without much "scandal", there's enough developers who are going to keep supporting them via LineageOS etc.
I still don't regret getting my OP3. It's still my favorite Android phone I've ever had, beating my older Nexuses.

BTW not sure OnePlus is such a small company. They're a subsidiary of OPPO I believe.
The community support is the only reason I'm still using my OnePlus One. But lots of people don't rely on XDA for software updates and troubleshooting issues. We are a small minority.

I think while they are part of BBK Electronics, the budget they have to operate is fairly small. From a business perspective, it doesn't make sense to continuously dump money into a a sub-brand that doesn't work. At the very least, the OnePlus brand has taken quite a bit of beating in the past month. They are not Samsung or LG where they are giant corporations.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12546 posts
4060 upvotes
Oakville
konfusion666 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 2:32 pm
They're small in terms of market penetration, and brand recognition. LG and Samsung have huge, world-renowned brand names with quite a large amount of customer goodwill. Both companies did a reasonably ok job (well, LG *eventually* did) of handling their respective scandals, so people were willing to give them the benefit of the doubt (and Samsung followed up their scandal by releasing the S8, which seems to be quite the hit...) - how OP handles this will really be indicative of how things look in the future for them.
Public Mobile
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15885 posts
488 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
wearysky wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 3:22 pm
They're small in terms of market penetration, and brand recognition. LG and Samsung have huge, world-renowned brand names with quite a large amount of customer goodwill. Both companies did a reasonably ok job (well, LG *eventually* did) of handling their respective scandals, so people were willing to give them the benefit of the doubt (and Samsung followed up their scandal by releasing the S8, which seems to be quite the hit...) - how OP handles this will really be indicative of how things look in the future for them.
What I find hilarious is the "fanboy" contingent that OnePlus seems to attract.

For example, on the OnePlus subreddit, I'm seeing quite a few posters say that they upgraded from an S8 to an OP5, and they're still going to keep their OP5 even though JELLY SCREEN is now confirmed.

Can you believe that? "Upgrading" from a high-quality 1440x2960 screen to a shitty Pentile 1080p, and they STILL defend the phone, even though it's now confirmed that the display was mounted upside-down? WTF?

Disclaimer: I am an OP3 owner, I am allowed to criticize my own "community"