Cell Phones

OnePlus 5 - Starts at $649 CAD, 'limited edition' Soft Gold colour now available

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2017 9:13 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3790 posts
1233 upvotes
BC
konfusion666 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 3:43 pm
What I find hilarious is the "fanboy" contingent that OnePlus seems to attract.

For example, on the OnePlus subreddit, I'm seeing quite a few posters say that they upgraded from an S8 to an OP5, and they're still going to keep their OP5 even though JELLY SCREEN is now confirmed.

Can you believe that? "Upgrading" from a high-quality 1440x2960 screen to a shitty Pentile 1080p, and they STILL defend the phone, even though it's now confirmed that the display was mounted upside-down? WTF?

Disclaimer: I am an OP3 owner, I am allowed to criticize my own "community"
This same "community" also claims that since OnePlus didn't do a good job on the OP2 (and thus supposedly selling fewer units), therefore, OnePlus isn't obligated (or even as a courtesy) to provide promised software updates to the phone.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
15601 posts
432 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
dealseaker101 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 10:09 pm
This same "community" also claims that since OnePlus didn't do a good job on the OP2 (and thus supposedly selling fewer units), therefore, OnePlus isn't obligated (or even as a courtesy) to provide promised software updates to the phone.
Yup. They're all so full of shit.
Oct 19, 2012
171 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Just returned mine today. They sent me a pre-paid FedEx shipping label and delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. Let's see how long it takes to get a refund.

How is everyone liking their OP5?
Sep 21, 2004
8696 posts
2269 upvotes
Calgary
konfusion666 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 3:43 pm
What I find hilarious is the "fanboy" contingent that OnePlus seems to attract.

For example, on the OnePlus subreddit, I'm seeing quite a few posters say that they upgraded from an S8 to an OP5, and they're still going to keep their OP5 even though JELLY SCREEN is now confirmed.

Can you believe that? "Upgrading" from a high-quality 1440x2960 screen to a shitty Pentile 1080p, and they STILL defend the phone, even though it's now confirmed that the display was mounted upside-down? WTF?

Disclaimer: I am an OP3 owner, I am allowed to criticize my own "community"
OnePlus seem to attract the worst kind of Android fanboys; those who are extremely cheap and would overlook any flaws/lies the company put up.

http://pocketnow.com/2017/07/03/oneplus ... down-audio
http://pocketnow.com/2017/07/01/inverte ... -5-display

Can afford to hire some of the biggest Indian movie stars and is literally part of Oppo and shares the same building, design and technology as Oppo.
Claims to be a poor start-up that needs to cut corners while touting "Never Settle".
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1005 posts
243 upvotes
soljah12 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 7:33 pm
How is everyone liking their OP5?
Loving mine personally. So many cry babies. I have no jelly effect and the phone is blazing fast with good battery life and super fast charging, and instantaneous finger print scanner. Camera is quick and good enough for me. Really nothing to complain about from my end. Going to keep this baby for a while.
May 20, 2008
342 posts
93 upvotes
Vaudreuil-Dorion
eblend wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 10:16 am
Loving mine personally. So many cry babies. I have no jelly effect and the phone is blazing fast with good battery life and super fast charging, and instantaneous finger print scanner. Camera is quick and good enough for me. Really nothing to complain about from my end. Going to keep this baby for a while.
Same here. No complaints at all, and no issues.
Mar 23, 2017
182 posts
177 upvotes
Markham
eblend wrote:
FreddDaSilva wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 11:26 am
Did you guys opt for the 64GB or 128GB version - out of curiosity?
CONTEST WINNINGS
2016 WINS: $279.99

RECENT WIN: GoPro Hero Session - Roam Mobility Summer Tech Travel Blog
Jul 31, 2004
141 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
FreddDaSilva wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 11:26 am
Same here, I've got the 128GB version. My only complaint is that the body is so damn slippery, I have a case on the way.. but have to be careful with it until it arrives.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12247 posts
3899 upvotes
Oakville
eblend wrote:
I don't think it's fair to call people "crybabies" if they're actually affected by the jelly effect, and considering the camera seems to be *worse* than the OP3/T in low light, that's a pretty big kick in the nuts too.
Public Mobile
May 20, 2008
342 posts
93 upvotes
Vaudreuil-Dorion
CosplayKing wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 11:48 am
Did you guys opt for the 64GB or 128GB version - out of curiosity?
I went with the 64GB.
Jul 31, 2004
141 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Sweet another s/w update today 4.5.5
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10113 posts
3069 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bringit wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 11:53 am
Same here, I've got the 128GB version. My only complaint is that the body is so damn slippery, I have a case on the way.. but have to be careful with it until it arrives.
Ditto. I'm coming from a Nexus 5 with its rubbery coating on the back. With the OP5 I have to be very careful not to let it slip out of my hands. Hopefully a skin or thin plastic case will solve that issue.

As for the "jelly" effect, it would be interesting to know how many people are affected and of those how many are affected to the point that they'd want to return the unit. I can't even see the problem when I look for it so it's of no concern to me. Of course that doesn't mean other peoples' experiences aren't valid.

Same with the camera. If someone bought the OP5 specifically because they wanted a top-flight camera then I can certainly see why they'd be upset. But again that's not my situation. For my needs the camera is more than adequate.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
15601 posts
432 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
wearysky wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 11:58 am
I don't think it's fair to call people "crybabies" if they're actually affected by the jelly effect, and considering the camera seems to be *worse* than the OP3/T in low light, that's a pretty big kick in the nuts too.
they are just defending their $700 purchase, it's human nature to be defensive when you spend that much money ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)