Cell Phones

OnePlus 5 - Starts at $649 CAD, 'limited edition' Soft Gold colour now available

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2017 7:28 am
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3542 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto
Any shops around Toronto that carries cases for OP5 (no name brands are fine too)?
The amazon ones take too long to ship, even with Prime the Otterbox takes 1-2 months ETA.
Oct 19, 2012
203 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
eblend wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 10:16 am
Loving mine personally. So many cry babies. I have no jelly effect and the phone is blazing fast with good battery life and super fast charging, and instantaneous finger print scanner. Camera is quick and good enough for me. Really nothing to complain about from my end. Going to keep this baby for a while.
I had the 128GB/8GB version and I noticed the "jelly" effect on my unit. One of my co-workers who is not tech savvy asked about the phone so I gave it to him and he noticed it right away and said there's something weird with your screen. I also wasn't impressed by the video recording of the OP5. Obviously the 4k recording is terrible without stabilization but even the 1080p had noticeable jitter due to the EIS. I was going to wait it out as the camera can certainly be improved with future software updates and apparently OP is working on adding EIS for 4k recording; however, I just couldn't stand the jelly on the screen and I'm not sure OP has confirmed it exists and that they will/can do something with a software update to fix it. That was what made me send it back and I told them that I hope they come out with a OP5T that fixes the screen issues and has OIS and I will certainly buy it!

The battery life was phenomenal to me as I was easily getting 6+ hrs of SOT and around 24-36 hrs per charge. I also loved how smooth it was, I feel even more so than my Pixel XL! Just couldn't justify the $800 for the phone with that annoying screen issue without knowing if they can fix it or if they will. Glad you're all enjoying the phone though and just be thankful that you don't have the jelly issue.
Current Cell Plans
Telus: 15GB CAN/USA Plan
Rogers: 16GB Nationwide Plan
Freedom: 8GB Promo 50 Plan
Oct 9, 2005
403 posts
27 upvotes
Thornhill
The Jelly screen seems to affect OnePlus 5 with later build dates and not the specification 64gb/128gb. Mine was manufactured on June 10th and I have no issue whatsoever - some of my friends who have earlier build dates also had no problems. Online claims that most people who had issues with Jelly screen had build dates Jun 12th and later. Just a speculation, with no real evidence. Manufacture dates are on the box, not on the phone. I was tempted to ship mine back to get it with an otterbox case but with the amount of people claiming they had issues, I just kept mine because mine was absolutely perfect with no flaws. Just waiting for a case now before I can use it.
Hi
Jul 31, 2004
144 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
SuckaB wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 4:47 pm
Any shops around Toronto that carries cases for OP5 (no name brands are fine too)?
The amazon ones take too long to ship, even with Prime the Otterbox takes 1-2 months ETA.
This past weekend I checked a bunch of shops at Pacific mall but found nothing.. pretty sure it's too new. I ended up finding an original karbon case on ebay..
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10839 posts
3540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bringit wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 10:04 pm
This past weekend I checked a bunch of shops at Pacific mall but found nothing.. pretty sure it's too new.
Even the manufacturers on AliExpress haven't shipped yet. For instance the company I ordered from on 22Jun has claimed to have shipped on the 30th (because otherwise my order would have expired) yet their own tracking info shows the package has been waiting pickup for almost a week:
2017.07.02 12:07 (GMT-7): 【8】Waiting for pick up
2017.07.01 21:07 (GMT-7): Waiting for pick up
2017.06.30 23:07 (GMT-7): Shipment confirmation
Likewise the case I ordered from Orzly on Amazon has been showing "Preparing for Shipment" for several days now.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2537 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
Just got my refund from OnePlus and didn't expect it was that quick!
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3542 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto
DJ Trance AZ wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 10:45 am
Just got my refund from OnePlus and didn't expect it was that quick!
how many days turnaround from the time the service deport received your return?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2537 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
SuckaB wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 4:00 pm
how many days turnaround from the time the service deport received your return?
About two business days!
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
4092 posts
1370 upvotes
BC
konfusion666 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 2:41 pm
it's human nature to be defensive when you spend that much money ;)
Cognitive dissonance Smiling Face With Sunglasses
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Oct 19, 2012
203 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
DJ Trance AZ wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 5:54 pm
About two business days!
Lucky... Mine has been a little more than two business days and I haven't received a refund yet. Thanks for the info though as it should come next week sometime which is fine with me.
Current Cell Plans
Telus: 15GB CAN/USA Plan
Rogers: 16GB Nationwide Plan
Freedom: 8GB Promo 50 Plan
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
4092 posts
1370 upvotes
BC
If many people are returning their OP5s, the OP3/OP3T resale value is going to go through the roof!
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Sep 22, 2009
50 posts
55 upvotes
Ottawa
Just placed an order for the OP5 and saw in the email that there could be custom charges since it isn't shipped from Canada. Was anyone charged customs fees? If so, how much?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10839 posts
3540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
There's no customs charges if you bought from OnePlus directly. They charged you HST so the package will arrive in Canada with all taxes prepaid. Relax and look forward to a great phone arriving a couple of days.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10839 posts
3540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
tk1000 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 10:21 pm
Has anyone had to call 911?
I would hope that no one calls 911 just to test their phone. OnePlus will have to respond to this issue and push out a fix. This is potentially as serious as Samsung's "burner phones" episode last year.

If you feel the need to test your OP5 then at least first call your local police regular number and ask for permission to call 911 on a test basis. Otherwise first responders may find themselves wasting time responding to test calls instead of to legitimate calls for help.
veni, vidi, Visa