Cell Phones

OnePlus 5 - Starts at $649 CAD, 'limited edition' Soft Gold colour now available

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2017 6:52 am
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10115 posts
3070 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Well you asked the question.

You can always wait for the next iteration of a product, but it's a fool's errand. If/when the OP5T comes out are you going to ask if it's worth waiting for the OP6, etc?

The OP5 is a fine flagship phone at a reasonable price compared to the competition. I bought one the first day they were offered for sale. If I had it to do over again I'd buy another OP5 without hesitation.

P.S. My worst complaint about the phone is that the case is very slippery and can easily slide out of your hand. However a $10 thin hard case solves that problem nicely.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16098 posts
1011 upvotes
Woodbridge
It was hard to cancel my order when it launched but I'm happy I did and waited it out.

I got my Soft Gold today. I got it in two days.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Jan 13, 2014
517 posts
134 upvotes
Calgary
Is the camera still as bad as reviews seem to indicate? I have the KEYone which of course uses the same camera sensor as the Pixel (with slightly less processing quality) but am considering trying the Oneplus
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24432 posts
5256 upvotes
GTHA
OnePlus to start selling 8GB/128GB slate gray OnePlus 5
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/08/09/onep ... oneplus-5/
OnePlus will start to offer its latest smartphone, the OnePlus 5, in an 8GB RAM, 128GB ROM slate gray version in the near future, the company revealed in an email earlier this week. The new model will cost $719 CAD, the same price as the 8GB, 128GB ROM midnight black model. OnePlus has yet to announce a definitive release timing yet.

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: OnePlus to start selling 8GB/128GB slate gray OnePlus 5
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10115 posts
3070 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Devhux wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 3:46 am
Is the camera still as bad as reviews seem to indicate? I have the KEYone which of course uses the same camera sensor as the Pixel (with slightly less processing quality) but am considering trying the Oneplus
Some reviews seem to find the camera quite good for a flagship phone. Others criticize the camera in specific areas like low light. IOW this may not be the absolute best camera in a high-end phone but it's also far from the worst.

ISTM all smartphone camera designers have to make compromises due to the size, thickness, weight and cost restrictions placed on them. You'll have to read the reviews and decide if you can live with the compromises OP made compared to the compromises their competitors made,

E.g.
OnePlus 5 review: A serious shooter
Results are in: how good is the OnePlus 5 camera?
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 28, 2010
823 posts
101 upvotes
Brampton
Shouldn't the 64gb variant be under $600 and 128gb be under $700 with the Canadian dollar being stronger since the release now
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12266 posts
3915 upvotes
Oakville
endokuken wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 10:33 am
Shouldn't the 64gb variant be under $600 and 128gb be under $700 with the Canadian dollar being stronger since the release now
Never expect a company to adjust pricing based on a currency's increased strength in less than 2-3 years. They'll always say they're "hedging against the currency dropping again". Of course, when the currency drops, suddenly they're all too eager to jack prices up much more quickly.
Public Mobile
Jan 13, 2014
517 posts
134 upvotes
Calgary
endokuken wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 10:33 am
Right now, $479 US comes to $610 CAD, and $549 US comes to $699.42. Companies won't adjust prices that quickly since exchange rates are quite volatile. Even if the exchange rate increases, it would be at least several months if not the next product refresh where you'd see a change in the Canadian price.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10115 posts
3070 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Devhux wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 3:46 am
Is the camera still as bad as reviews seem to indicate?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8247 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
Been thinking quite a while about moving to OP5 or Pixel XL from my 6P. Such a hard choice.

OP5 - battery life, navbar-less screen (ie. full 5.5" real-estate), snappier performance, thin (left/right) bezels
PXL - QHD screen, amazing camera, "Google"

Jelly scrolling scares me, but I never noticed it on my friend's OP5, however online videos on the net show it quite well. Not sure what to believe.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10115 posts
3070 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mcg wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:41 am
OP5 - battery life
PXL - QHD screen
Which is more important to you? The denser screen needs more power. There's nothing wrong with the OP5's 1920x1080 screen. It's actually better (crisper, brighter, more vivid colours, etc.) than the 5" screen on my Google Nexus 5. That's so even though the resolution is the same and thus the pixel density is lower.
amazing camera, "Google"
The camera has been debated ad nauseum. Read the reviews and decide if the compromises OP made are acceptable to you compared to the compromises the competition made in their cameras.

As for "Google", the OP5 is as close to stock Android as you're going to get in a flagship phone. (Moto may be the exception.) OxygenOS is certainly nothing like the bloated and bastardized versions of "Android" from the likes of Samsung and LG, etc.
Jelly scrolling scares me, but I never noticed it on my friend's OP5, however online videos on the net show it quite well. Not sure what to believe.
You've been sucked in by the videos. The effect is amplified when it's recorded due to the nature of video recording. If you don't notice it (I don't either) then who cares? Sort of like the Zen, "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

What should we be worried about?
1. Customer service. Although OP claims to have invested heavily in improving it, there are still horror stories on Reddit and XDA from people who have had bad experiences.
2. Ongoing support. OP seems to stop updating their devices sooner than some others, especially Google. OTOH there's an avid fan base on XDA that will continue to give OP5 attention long after OP drops it.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 27, 2016
149 posts
33 upvotes
I love this device but I think Samsung Galaxy S8 edge is better than one plus 5.
I am waiting for Samsung Galaxy S8 edge.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5122 posts
610 upvotes
johnjacobs12 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 3:10 am
I love this device but I think Samsung Galaxy S8 edge is better than one plus 5.
I am waiting for Samsung Galaxy S8 edge.
Similar price?
Nov 28, 2010
823 posts
101 upvotes
Brampton
Gutty96 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 5:09 pm
Similar price?
I think must have meant Note 8? There is no S8 Edge this time as the S8 and S8 plus already have edge to edge display as will the Note 8