Cell Phones

OnePlus 5 - Starts at $649 CAD, 'limited edition' Soft Gold colour now available

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2017 7:28 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5263 posts
660 upvotes
endokuken wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 5:30 pm
I think must have meant Note 8? There is no S8 Edge this time as the S8 and S8 plus already have edge to edge display as will the Note 8

Okay, thanks, but the price difference?
Sr. Member
Nov 28, 2010
894 posts
124 upvotes
Brampton
Gutty96 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 7:38 pm
Okay, thanks, but the price difference?
It was rumored to be in the $1000 usd range so would likely be well over $1200 In Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5263 posts
660 upvotes
endokuken wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 9:13 pm
It was rumored to be in the $1000 usd range so would likely be well over $1200 In Canada.
Yikes!

I think I am still going to stick with my OnePlus 2 for a while longer if that's the cost of upgrade.

It still runs fine, but I think the battery is fading. Still the best feeling in hand phone I have ever had. No case. Love that sandstone back.
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 6, 2005
869 posts
18 upvotes
So the One Plus 5 has been out in the wild now for a while.
People still liking their phones? I'm on the fence but need to decide on a new phone soon.

(using a pretty beat up OnePlusOne
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10545 posts
3356 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
huskylord wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 11:01 am
People still liking their phones? I'm on the fence but need to decide on a new phone soon.
I bought mine on launch day and have been using it extensively every day since it arrived a couple of days later. I love my OP5. If there's a "jelly" effect I can't see it. The camera works well for me, but I'm not a photo "nut." Battery life is fantastic. I've been hiking today with the GPS on for over 6 hours yet there's still almost 50% charge left. Dash recharging is also fantastic. This thing works for me at fast 4G speeds in Canada and Europe. The dual-SIM feature is really useful for travelling. The GPS is a huge improvement over my Nexus 5. The screen may only be HD but it's more than good enough. (Maybe if this thing had a 55" screen then 4K would be useful.) And to top it off the price is 2/3 that of a Google Pixel XL or high-end Samsung. Take the plunge. The water here is great!
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
4106 posts
1347 upvotes
just ordered the 8gb ram version. will be upgrading from my oneplus 3. excited :)

this time, i have to remember to root the phone as soon as i get it!
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
1984 posts
135 upvotes
Mississauga
so this one plus 5 its not a world phone?
or just LTE is not world wide?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10545 posts
3356 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
killer007 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 5:26 pm
so this one plus 5 its not a world phone?
or just LTE is not world wide?
Where did you get that impression? Indeed unlike other phones with multiple hardware versions to serve specific markets, the OP5 comes in a single hardware version that serves the global market.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
1984 posts
135 upvotes
Mississauga
i have normal external battery bank in my house, can i still use them to charge my phone? i don't want to invest another battery bank
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10545 posts
3356 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
killer007 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 11:17 pm
i have normal external battery bank in my house, can i still use them to charge my phone? i don't want to invest another battery bank
Yes. Regular power banks and chargers work just fine. (Even older micro-USB ones work fine as long as you get an inexpensive USB-C adapter.) I've been using all of mine. The only difference is that they charge slower than OP's proprietary Dash chargers.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 1, 2008
11211 posts
1471 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I am considering picking up a OnePlus 5 since they have the student discount right now and am wondering, what is the recommended tempered glass screen protector and case to protect the phone.

I love Nillkin tempered glass screen protectors for the OnePlus One, Nexus 5, and Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, but it seems they really dropped the ball on the OnePlus 5. The screen protector doesn't even cover the whole screen! Then there's Orzly which covers the screen but the quality itself is not as great. So who does that leave then? What would you recommend?

I also don't know what case to choose. I was thinking of picking up the Nillkin Super Frosted Shield Matte case, but I wanna see what other alternatives are there.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10545 posts
3356 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
What are the terms of the student discount? [Added; see this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/commen ... x_1_phone/]

As for screen protectors, the OP5 comes with a plastic one factory-applied. It works fine for me but it's obviously not high-end glass. The reason the protector doesn't cover the entire surface is because the screen edges are beveled.

As for cases I have a cheapo thin hard plastic shell I got on Aliexpress. I also have the Orzly soft plastic cover. Both provide basic protection, especially from the smooth phone sliding out of your hand. I prefer the cheapo case because it's thinner.

If you're looking for higher-end stuff because you're hard on your phone then you'll have to get other suggestions.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sr. Member
Nov 28, 2010
894 posts
124 upvotes
Brampton
bylo wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 1:04 am
What are the terms of the student discount? [Added; see this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/commen ... x_1_phone/]

As for screen protectors, the OP5 comes with a plastic one factory-applied. It works fine for me but it's obviously not high-end glass. The reason the protector doesn't cover the entire surface is because the screen edges are beveled.

As for cases I have a cheapo thin hard plastic shell I got on Aliexpress. I also have the Orzly soft plastic cover. Both provide basic protection, especially from the smooth phone sliding out of your hand. I prefer the cheapo case because it's thinner.

If you're looking for higher-end stuff because you're hard on your phone then you'll have to get other suggestions.
You need an account at student beans to qualify afaik. I tried to sign up but it asks for a valid email address from one of the recognized post secondary institutions to confirm the email.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
12444 posts
4036 upvotes
Oakville
endokuken wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 9:25 am
You need an account at student beans to qualify afaik. I tried to sign up but it asks for a valid email address from one of the recognized post secondary institutions to confirm the email.
Yup. Just setup a studentbeans account with my old Uwaterloo email address. Once you claim your discount, you only have 1 month to use it. But you don't have to claim it right away. 10% off any single order (limit one smartphone, though, so no sneaky "order 5 phones in a single order" tricks).
Public Mobile

Top