Cell Phones

OnePlus 5 - Starts at $649 CAD, 'limited edition' Soft Gold colour now available

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2018 9:26 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anonym00se wrote: :rolleyes: good thing we're still pandering to this stupidity in 2017.
I'm Chinese, and I've honestly never heard of the superstition behind '4' growing up. I think most people don't believe in this garbage.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6494 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
board123 wrote: I'm Chinese, and I've honestly never heard of the superstition behind '4' growing up. I think most people don't believe in this garbage.
Maybe it's a Hong Kong thing? Come to Richmond B.C. , the #4 is like poison over there.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Feb 13, 2017
257 posts
1251 upvotes
Bin Dopin's CANistan
Gee wrote: Make sure you don't buy on the 5th or 15th floor
The 8th floor is probably the most expensive, but that is really the 9th floor
kazin wrote: You should see condos in Vancouver. No floors with "4" or 13. Poor fire department.
A Cheap less contusing solution is just dig and jump in at The Snake Pit (vermin free) with it's meticulous bioengineered heap of dirt to sun on. Wait errant people (?) and money/energy already diving in the marquet of parquet while some people(?) are cashing out running hopping to not buffer the falling with their collapsing morals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Rise_(novel)
"Brawls break out again at same Chuck E. Cheese's in California & Two 3 year old boys shot accidentally outside Fort Worth Chuck E. Cheese’s "
"Stay Tuned For More Breaking Cheese @ 11"
May 20, 2008
465 posts
231 upvotes
Vaudreuil-Dorion
OnePlus 5 confirmed exclusively to The Verge, coming this summer.

Previous OnePlus 5 rumors that said the phone will have a vertical dual lens camera are false. The phone will have a dual-lens shooter on the back, but it’ll be horizontal like the one on the iPhone 7 Plus.

Furthermore, the report says the fingerprint sensor will be placed on the front, similar to the OnePlus 3T. If accurate, this means the OnePlus 5 won’t have an all-screen design like the Galaxy S8 and LG G6. The source also said the phone will ship with 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, although an 8GB/256GB version might not be out of the question.

When it comes to battery size, the OnePlus 5 should feature a 3,600 mAh battery, complete with fast charging. The handset may or may not feature a 3.5mm headphone jack, the report says.

A different Weibo leaker found by My Drivers says the phone will be powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 chip, the same chip found in the Galaxy S8. The handset will apparently feature a Full HD display, and should launch by the end of June.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
heard the warranty claims is a huge PITA, hence the low price.
May 20, 2008
465 posts
231 upvotes
Vaudreuil-Dorion
yesstyle wrote: heard the warranty claims is a huge PITA, hence the low price.
I've had the OPO, OP2, and currently using the OP3. I haven't had to deal with any warranty claims, so I can't really comment on that. Solid phones though, I've been a fan since day one, so will continue to support, as long as prices stay relatively lower than the competition.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
Pretty bad experiences from friends with OnePlus, dead phones within a year, zero customer service. You get what you pay for here.

But for thr price, I guess it's disposable.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
yesstyle wrote: heard the warranty claims is a huge PITA, hence the low price.
It's much better than it was with the original OnePlus One when it first launched in Canada (where you had to ship it back to China at your own expense). But it's still not the greatest, they use a notoriously awful repair place in the GTA (the name of which currently escapes me) that has a terrible reputation for seriously shady practices.

My buddy had a OPO that served him extremely well until about a month ago, when years of abuse finally caught up to him and the lower half of his screen stopped being responsive to touches. Obviously out of warranty, so he replaced it with a LeEco Le Max 2. So far he's been pretty happy with it. OnePlus phones were MUCH better value when the Canadian dollar was near par with the US dollar. Still not terrible value though.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
coriolis wrote: Pretty bad experiences from friends with OnePlus, dead phones within a year, zero customer service. You get what you pay for here.

But for thr price, I guess it's disposable.
As are most phones these days. I usually upgrade every 8-12 months for that reason. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

OnePlus 5 needs a 4,444 MAh battery.
Last edited by titaniumtux on May 5th, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2013
1615 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
Owned OnePlus One, OnePlus X, OnePlus 3.

OnePlus 5 is the first 30 min purchase for me without even waiting for reviews, they just deliver.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
wearysky wrote: It's much better than it was with the original OnePlus One when it first launched in Canada (where you had to ship it back to China at your own expense). But it's still not the greatest, they use a notoriously awful repair place in the GTA (the name of which currently escapes me) that has a terrible reputation for seriously shady practices.

My buddy had a OPO that served him extremely well until about a month ago, when years of abuse finally caught up to him and the lower half of his screen stopped being responsive to touches. Obviously out of warranty, so he replaced it with a LeEco Le Max 2. So far he's been pretty happy with it. OnePlus phones were MUCH better value when the Canadian dollar was near par with the US dollar. Still not terrible value though.
Futuretel.

Also if they drop the 3.5mm jack and then F them.

I have an iPhone 7 and it's the biggest PITA since I have a collection of cans and like to use my iPhone at the gym with my buds. I hate charging bluetooth buds.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2015
1312 posts
499 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I'm deciding between getting the OP5 or a used OP3/T from someone..
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2013
1615 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
June 20, 12:00pm, official date.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5709 posts
2278 upvotes
And the leak is official now on OnePlus twitter page.

https://twitter.com/oneplus

Not getting. Sold OP3 and now I regret it.
Journie: Use my promo code JR-ColinTOUM during registration, and you’ll automatically save 2¢/ L on your next fill-up. (Full disclosure: Once you do, I get a discount, too!)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5709 posts
2278 upvotes
mtcan wrote: Oneplus 5 looks a lot like an iPhone 7 Plus. On the other hand...it looks like an OPPO R11...

http://www.opposhop.cn/products/413.html

Coincidence?
Oppo and OP are both subsidiaries of BBK Electronics, thus they do share a lot of design philosophies (or in this case, lack thereof.) Also Vivo is another sub-brand (low to mid grade.) Also, iPhone clones
Journie: Use my promo code JR-ColinTOUM during registration, and you’ll automatically save 2¢/ L on your next fill-up. (Full disclosure: Once you do, I get a discount, too!)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Just sold my Samsung Galaxy S8+ for this.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
May 20, 2008
465 posts
231 upvotes
Vaudreuil-Dorion
Reminder, OnePlus 5 launch is tomorrow at noon EST! I'm pretty excited, can't wait! Most likely ordering it. Anyone else?