• Dec 11th, 2017 9:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 27, 2009
59 posts
12 upvotes

OnePlus 5T

Hola
So it seems that OnePlus is maintaining its strange twice-yearly release cycle with the to-be-fully-confirmed announcement of the OnePlus 5T. The device has been officially announced and we have the usual tech reviewers providing their initial take on it. Highlights of new device:

Hardware:
1. 6.01" AMOLED (Pentile Matrix) panel in a 2:1 display.
2. Fingerprint scanner moved to the back in a decent spot.
3. Removal of capacitive front keys to onscreen only navigation buttons.
4. Same 3300 mAh capacity battery.
5. Tele-photo camera replaced with a newer 20 megapixel f/1.7 aperture lens... supposedly to provide better low-light photography.

Software:
1. Same ole OOS running on top of Android v7.1.1. Promise of Oreo in January with Beta programs starting in December.
2. New Face ID feature that provides fast unlock capability though limited to only unlocking your phone and not for other authentication needs.

Some reviews via YouTube:
1. Android Central -

2. The Verge -

3. Android Authority -

Many others available...

It is important to point out that one reviewer actually mentioned that they don't see the jelly scrolling issue that plagues the OnePlus 5. I still have my OnePlus 5 and quite frankly I don't think I'll be upgrading as I prefer the capacity front buttons... If I was interested in good camera functionality I wouldn't have considered any OnePlus device to begin with so the upgraded rear camera doesn't impress me.
Images
  • OnePlus 5T vs 5 - From The Verge.jpg
Last edited by moh2010 on Oct 12th, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
218 replies
Jan 7, 2007
81 posts
12 upvotes
The screen and form factor get upgraded to the new small bezel standard. It's not a trivial upgrade. The OP5 is on dead-phone row.
Jan 13, 2014
638 posts
167 upvotes
Calgary
Apparently Oppomart really got the specs wrong on the OnePlus 3T, and I'm still not convinced they'll jump on the QHD resolution for the 5T as that would be a first. They wrote the aperture wrong for the 5 as well (it's f/1.7 not f/1.6). Also remember the renders of the alleged 5T were identical to that of the OPPO F5 right down to the lock screen.

Taking this one with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure there will be a 5T (especially since the 5 has been out of stock for a bit), but I'm not convinced we've seen what it'll be.
Apr 5, 2003
710 posts
123 upvotes
White Rock, BC
From what I read they are saying 2160x1080 resolution which is basically 1080p in 2:1 screen ratio.
Jan 13, 2014
638 posts
167 upvotes
Calgary
Ok, it's all but confirmed now that there's a 5T coming. No more Buy Now link on the OnePlus 5 page.
Jan 28, 2015
78 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah whats the deal with the not available - When & What is next?

Even Carl Pei said that he didn't think people would buy these many OP5
Banned
Oct 19, 2017
2 posts
2017 has brought about one major smartphone trend: the 18:9 display. Taking the OnePlus 5 and shifting that display might technically be an upgrade and fit the OnePlus 5T name, as it would be an incremental step.

Currently we're in that position where there's a lack of handsets to buy, an idea of a new handset, but nothing concrete to set these rumours against. It could be an updated 5T in time for Christmas (something that HTC is rumoured to be doing with the U11 Plus), equally, it could be a brand new phone in Spring 2018.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11279 posts
1508 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The OnePlus 5 has been sold out for over a month. At this point, there's either supply issues or OnePlus is gearing up for a new phone. Only India has stock. Or they're releasing a OnePlus 5 version 2 to fix some of the complaints people had, such as the jelly scrolling for example.
heropizza wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 4:23 pm
2017 has brought about one major smartphone trend: the 18:9 display. Taking the OnePlus 5 and shifting that display might technically be an upgrade and fit the OnePlus 5T name, as it would be an incremental step.

Currently we're in that position where there's a lack of handsets to buy, an idea of a new handset, but nothing concrete to set these rumours against. It could be an updated 5T in time for Christmas (something that HTC is rumoured to be doing with the U11 Plus), equally, it could be a brand new phone in Spring 2018.
You mean no headphone jack is the current smartphone trend right?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8486 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
Can't wait for the oneplus 5t with an extended display, now that the Pixel 2 XL is a flop.

Hopefully they use a higher quality display this time, and orient it in the proper direction.
Jan 28, 2015
78 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah the rumors seem to be coming true

The reason to justify calling it the 5T is cuz all but the front is going to be different - the back will be the exact same expect for a fingerprint scanner adjustment - same internals aswell
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8486 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
Haha a great excuse to fix the jelly screen. More room!
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26978 posts
6421 upvotes
GTHA

OnePlus has announced the reveal and launch date for its upcoming device, the OnePlus 5T.

The device will be revealed on November 16th and available for purchase in North America on November 21st at 9 am EST

The live announcement event, titled ‘A New View,’ will take place in Brooklyn, New York at 11am ET. For fans who’d like to watch the proceedings, they can livestream the event on the company’s official launch page.

from https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/11/06/onep ... vember-21/
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1390 posts
150 upvotes
Kitchener
I wonder how many potential buyers are gonna skip an insta purchase and wait to see if there's an upside down screen or other issue with the 5T?