• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 9:54 pm
Tags:
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10095 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Uh Ohhh... OnePlus 5T just beat the iphone X. lol. Helps to have 8GB ram. *welp*

If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
1594 posts
124 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Can anyone confirm the screen has oleophobic coating this time? I heard it did on the last one but not 100%.
Jan 13, 2014
632 posts
165 upvotes
Calgary
The 5 does for sure (if there are people who say it doesn't, then they are using the plastic screen protector that came pre-installed on the phone). Can't see why the 5T would be different
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
1594 posts
124 upvotes
Calgary, AB
X-Nemesis wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:21 am
I wonder how many potential buyers are gonna skip an insta purchase and wait to see if there's an upside down screen or other issue with the 5T?
One YouTuber said the jelly effect is gone.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8483 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
Ordered! 10 percent off student discount works.

What a deal. Added the black silicone protective case.

The discount is bugged, it applies to the full retail of the items, so since oneplus has a promo for ten percent off accessories already, you get an extra 10 percent again off the original cost.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10832 posts
3533 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
dnyc wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 11:58 am
One YouTuber said the jelly effect is gone.
There have been other reports in the media that the new panel is mounted right-side-up. That said, I've tried hard to detect the jelly effect on my OP5 but I keep failing miserably. As far as I'm concerned this was blown way out of proportion.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41595 posts
10237 upvotes
mcg wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 12:01 pm
Ordered! 10 percent off student discount works.

What a deal. Added the black silicone protective case.

The discount is bugged, it applies to the full retail of the items, so since oneplus has a promo for ten percent off accessories already, you get an extra 10 percent again off the original cost.
How do you get the student discount and did you have to pay any Canadian tax?
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14980 posts
873 upvotes
Scarborough
frig was too lazy to fiddle with student discount
might need to cancel and reorder

nope... too much work.... not gonna do it...
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4524 posts
165 upvotes
Vancity
Was on the fence about this, but saw the early bird bundle was selling out. Pulled the trigger with the student discount and early bird case/screen protector bundle. Couldn't stack the $30 referral for accessories though. Saved $96 on phone and case total for the 6GB.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4524 posts
165 upvotes
Vancity
Damnit just realized I have to replace all my cables.

What's the best place to get legit on-spec USB-C cables for reasonable price? Monoprice? Anker on Amazon?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10832 posts
3533 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I simply bought Anker USB-C (male) to Micro USB Adapter (female) adapters on amazon.com. They're cheaper than cables and let me use chargers that have non-removable cables with Micro USB plugs.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14980 posts
873 upvotes
Scarborough
sonick wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 1:48 pm
Damnit just realized I have to replace all my cables.

What's the best place to get legit on-spec USB-C cables for reasonable price? Monoprice? Anker on Amazon?
i don't like to wait for shipping. i order online and then go pick up at infinitecables.com in markham.
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3057 posts
249 upvotes
Too much work if I already have the money (or not) and more importantly, I need to keep up with the Joneses!

You probably have a family or other important goals that make the current phone prices seem ridiculous to you, wish everyone could put on a similar lens and get these prices a bit more realistic. I bought an S8+ and ended up selling it for a Moto E4 for 39$ USD. Yes, the camera sucks so I'll be looking for a used phone with a decent camera maybe under 300$ cause the camera is important to me.

Looking at that phone, I just cannot possibly understand why in hell anyone would spend 1000$, it's mind boggling.
Congrats for voting with your wallet.

As far as the 5T is concerned, it's still indeed a deal compared to the iPhones and Galaxies of the world.

Cheers,
torontotim wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 5:43 pm
The idea of buying a brand new 'flagship' phone today is silly. Kind of like going out and buying a brand new MacBook or car off the showroom floor.

My $550 all-in still under warranty Kijiji 128GB iPhone 7 is just fine and silly cheap compared to a $930 + tax iPhone 8 64GB for example.
My $1500 all-in Kijiji Macbook 15" retina mid 2014 model works just as well as a new $3200+tax model (and has just about identical specs)
My 2015 GMC truck is hardly any different than a 2018 model, yet I paid $10,000's less for it with only 35K KM on the clock.

Mobile phones and computers these days are no different than cars - tiny incremental improvements from one year or generation to the next with rarely any reason to drop the big bucks on the newest model.

Wait 8 months and pay someone $300 for their OnePlus 5T. Let them take the depreciation hit.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4524 posts
165 upvotes
Vancity
^ Considering how and where I use my phone, the idea of a second hand phone is a little too 'intimate' for me. Maybe that's more telling of my phone habits more than anything...

That said, this is probably my last One Plus phone I can afford if the pricing continues this trend.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)